Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #11
shoopmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Im thinking I cant use cloth!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #5 on the way View Post
Im gonna try doing an extra rinse on my dipes! Thanks to all!
I use pockets but I boil them every so often this helps strip and keep rashes away!

Also make sure you are using the right amount of detergent for your diaper laundry and using a detergent that rinses easily.

The other thing you can do is make sure you are using cloth wipes with a cleansing solution with ani-bacterial properties like kissaluvs lotion potion or Happy Heinys spray, this can help prevent build up of stuff from disposable wipes. powder with cornstarch can also be a preventative on baby's bums. I have had rashes with both of my boys in CD's they get the sensitive skin thing from me. I had to figure out what worked b/C I hate sposies with a passion and they still gave them rashes only thing is I couldn't fix anything about it! I am so glad I stuck with Cding and found a solution!!

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
jessi4jc
Registered Users
seller

Yep, I run a second full cycle too, but a shorter "permanent press" cycle instead of my "Superwash" cycle, which is what I was in.

Are you doing a cold rinse before washing on hot? This is recommended and really helps flush pee out of the diapers before the wash cycle starts.

IDSO: Noro Sekku in Citrus, Lilac, Sand. Please.
ISO: BG sized AIOS in working condition AND Imagine Flats in Tree Friends print.
jessi4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #13
rachelmaria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Issues I've noticed:
Babywipes = instant horrible rash. I changed from disposable wipes to cloth.

Prefolds and other natural fibers that stay wet against my DD's bum = rash/irritated skin.
I've got to use pockets that have a fleece type inner so that the moisture wicks away from her skin.

I use this booty balm and it seems to clear up her occasional rash:
http://www.lusaorganics.com/natural-...ty-option1.htm

HTH
Old 03-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #14
babyrosie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found I need to do all natural cotton on baby so we do all pfs and covers. No disposable wipes and tons of air time! I mean hours and hours thru the day naked. I also discovered baby gets dry red spots so we have to keep something like natural baby butter made by a local mom on her. Also love disposable liners like bummis soft liners so you can use whatever creams you want without fear of contaminating your diapers.
babyrosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Yep the extra rinse is very important.

Which detergents have you tried? There are many different favorites around here, but the general rule is that it shouldn't have fragrances, optical brighteners, or enzymes. I have liked Biokleen All-Temp Liquid and Country Save. I use just below the normal recommended amount but it's common to use only 1/4 the recommended amount of detergent.
TrennaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
soccerlilly20
Registered Users

OH BOY! That was me not too long ago! DD is 8 months old and I hit this problem around 3 months when I put her in her first pocket diaper. It was fleece lined and she broke out right away and then it turned into an ugly yeast rash which was crazy to treat (make sure she doesn't have that) I too was about to quit. I was so embarrassed when I took her to the docs 3..yes 3 times for rashes! Guess what??? I have been rash free for 4 months now!!!

The secret for me?? First was treating the rash...and not with CD safe cream. After trying EVERY cream on the market I found the more zinc the less the rash...soooo ZINC ZINC AND MORE ZINC!! Butt paste was a cure all, but was expensive. So I made my own, ordered some powdered zinc, mixed it with shea butter and aloe and BAM no more rash. So unfortunately for a month or 2 I had to slather her with the cream...but no rash. If I stopped the cream, the rash came back. The doctor assured me it prob wasn't the detergent or she would be broken out EVERYWHERE the diaper (even the cover) was, and she never was, just around where the insert was. So I had to go against every CD rule in the book and use unsafe cream with a liner. Doc also put her on a probiotic for kids, just half the dose to help the acidity in her BF poo.

About 2 months ago I started having problems with leaks in my Flip staydrys. I called the company for help and stripped and stripped and stripped some more. I got so fed up I just started using old fashioned Gerber cotton prefolds - low and behold no leaks and you guessed it, NO RASHES!!!! Turns out I think any synthetic fiber was too much for her skin. Did you know that microfiber/suede is actually a derivative from Oil?? Like car oil..motor oil... just in a chemically altered state. Good old fashioned cotton did the trick! And you can wash creams out if needed ANNND you can use any kind of detergent you want because it washes out! Seriously when my Mom(who used cloth) just stared at me and my crazy wash routine and stripping and no cream blah blah blah she said...why don't you just use cotton. And it has been amazing!

Sorry so lengthy....hang in there you can do it!
soccerlilly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

I did see you answer which diapers. Some kids are sensitive to some materials whether it be cotton (sensitive to wetness) or fleece or suede cloth... you might need to try a different material...
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote