Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
<3myoompaloompas
Registered Users

Smile Wanting to transition to cloth on a tight budget

Hi, I know it's extremely late to be thinking about making the switch, but I'm very motivated and have my husband on board. We have 18 month boy/girl twins who are kind of on the small side, between 19-21 lbs. Their legs I would say are average thickness for their size, but they do have small hips. My son has always been one with a rash and has always worn sensitive disposables. I wouldn't say he's a heavy wetter, but just really sensitive. I've wanted to make the change for what seems like forever, but just didn't have the start up cost/support from my husband.

I recently purchased some of the Flip covers when Cotton Babies had their seconds sale, but didn't buy inserts yet because I've just been reading so many opinions on flats, prefolds, and inserts that I have no idea what I should order. I also have a box of Charlie Banana one size that I haven't washed yet that I bought before the Flips that I'm thinking about returning since they were expensive compared to going the flips.

I'd like a trim fit, but most importantly, whatever is best for sensitive skin!

Any and all opinions/advice would be helpful!!!!

Advertisement

<3myoompaloompas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
photogmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Wanting to transition to cloth on a tight budget

I love flats! Super cheap and so easy clean no worry about laundry problems. I snappi or boingo but you can fold to lay in a cover, but I love the trimmers of a fastened flat. You can try flower sack towels from target. They will also be handy to have after the babes are potty trained.
photogmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
photogmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh and I love flats with the flip covers too.
photogmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
littlehands
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Flips and flats is my go-to system for any baby after the infant stage. So easy to take care and so affordable!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
TheCoach'sWife
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would pick up prefolds to use as inserts for the flips. They will wash well and are *quicker* to fold and stick in the covers. I diaper two right now too, and while flats are nice I don't have as much time and quite prefer half of the folding to be already finished. Since you already have a mini-stash, why not just use what you have until everything is dirty and then use disposables when you run out/while you are doing laundry. I would keep the Charlie Banana's - if your son is super sensitive his skin might need something that is stay dry.

That should start saving you money very soon - and you could start buying a cover or prefold here and there with the savings. You still may have a year of diapering ahead - I don't think that it is too late at all.

TheCoach'sWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Definitely padfold flats in the Flip covers. Trim, easy, and cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 08-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

I would recomend not investing too much until you figure out what works. If your son's skin is sensitive he might require stay dry -- but he also might require natural fibers -- it's hard to know.

these stay dry inserts often go on sale and happen to be right now:
http://www.diapersafari.com/diaper-s...-one-free.html

If you think you will be okay with folding them, flats are the cheapest way to go and are more trim then prefolds. I have found that osocosy (on amazon), cottonbabies, and diaper rite (at diaperjunction) flats to be the least expensive at least for small size. Not sure if you'd want to get larges though.

you can def transition slowly. Do part cloth and part sposie until you have enough cloth. If you figure out your current sposie budget you could find a way without going over it as well. It would just take more washing initially.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 08-29-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Flats are the most budget friendly option and can be very trim depending on how you fold them. They work nicely in Flip covers for daytime and in 4.0s (if you can find some on FSOT) at night along with a hemp babies doubler. There's a thread on here called something like "non-pad fold" that I use and it's really nice on my 22mo old. I really like both my Blueberry unbleached cotton flats and my Imagine bamboo flats, but there are many less expensive options you can try, including flour sack towels from the kitchen section of Target/Walmart, flannel receiving blankets, and OsoCozy flats (try Cotton Babies or MomBecks).

Prefolds are also budget friendly and can be trifolded in a cover, so a little faster than flats. Some may disagree, but my limited experience has been that prefolds are a little bulkier. But with twins the time savings might be more important!

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

Id go with flats. Try Flour sack towels from target or walmart first. If your babes arent heavy wetters then they should work well for trying it out. Then if you like flats and want something.more absotbant get some GMD larges.
As for stay dry options, personally, I dont really think so many babies 'require' stay-dry materials (i may get some flack for this comment) but think, for the longest time babies were diapered in natural fibers, esp cotton and ive never had an old timer tell.me there babies skin couldnt handle being wet. Its my opinion that tge stay dry requirement is more a result of marketing, although im syre there are a very small population of babies that need stay dry, just not as many as ppl think.
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
meljc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellx1 View Post
As for stay dry options, personally, I dont really think so many babies 'require' stay-dry materials (i may get some flack for this comment) but think, for the longest time babies were diapered in natural fibers, esp cotton and ive never had an old timer tell.me there babies skin couldnt handle being wet. Its my opinion that tge stay dry requirement is more a result of marketing, although im syre there are a very small population of babies that need stay dry, just not as many as ppl think.
I won't give you flack, per se, but my eczema-prone DS is very red in the morning if he has been in wet cotton all night. I suspect that he also sleeps better at night with stay dry. At 18mo I would definitely do cotton during the day so that the kids start to connect peeing with wetness and discomfort. There's also less opportunity for rash during the day due to greater frequency of changes.

Great customer service from:

meljc is offline   Reply With Quote