Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
*updated in first post* Would like some Kindergarten advice...

*Updated*

Well i wanted to update how it went.

No IEP! She is in the high class for reading. She tested avg to high for math..they said slightly above avg but i know some things she didn't test right on she knows. One thing is saying 15 she will sing a song with that number here but didnt say it during the test. Gotta love testing kids.
She is having a speech screening because of an old eval and what the speech therapist heard in talking to her for less than 5 min. We went with it to shut them up basically, i know there won't be a problem. She does stuff off the 8 year old level.
She is still with her main teacher the old one but we hashed out some things. She apologized for how she handled the incident and said she learned from that. So for now we are good. Don't want to move her because she is in the class appropriate to her level that we know she should be at.
We were told by the head of the special ed dept that we did a good job homeschooling her. So all in all it was a good meeting. And it is offical in papers that an IEP is not needed. Woot.

Hi!

I hope this doesn't get long.

My DD was put into preschool at 3 years old because she was in EI for a major speech delay(was at 15-18 mo level at 3 years old). The youngest child to her was 6 mos older! She did awesome! Was at age level by the end of the year(only 5 mos because of her birthday). She went to preschool the following year. We had an incident that made me remove her from that classroom, basically the teacher and assistant both lied about seeing what happened when my DD got hurt to cover their hineys i guess. I found this out only after i wanted her removed. This wasn't the first thing that frustrated us, it was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. They put her in a different class til end of year. The old teacher and new teacher both agreed she was very advanced at this point and should go to kindergarten! We fought the school board and was told no just based on age. This was may of last year.
I homeschooled her for kindergarten and had fully planned on doing it again this year except i have to go to work because of the divorce. I still could do it but it would be really hard. If I did that i could have her tested into 2nd grade and they would by law have to put her in it even with her age.

Anyway I put her in school they say they will be testing her to see which group she is in...low, middle or high...now all of a sudden supposedly there aren't levels like that? They do it based solely on reading..where she is lowest when i was told originally they test on it all. She was on an IEP(Sped thing originally for speech and they had to find things to keep her on it in Dec of 06) and they are stuck on putting her back on one...over my dead body! I swear all they see are $$$ in her.

Here is my thing, she now has the same teacher i removed her from in preschool as her homeroom teacher! I didn't even know she was a kindergarten teacher now! They are refusing to remove her from her class as of Tuesday....I didn't talk to them, ex did and he warned them they didn't want me down there. They also have the children rotating among all 3 kindergarten teachers. So she would have to see this teacher anyway for less time. I was not told about this when i enrolled her and i would have never enrolled her if i had! Even without knowing about her teacher being there. Am i wrong to think children in kindergarten are to young to rotate like that?
My dd is at a 1st grade level maybe a little bit lower for reading not sure. She needs to be challenged. I feel she is so not going to get this.
Should I follow my gut and yank her out and just juggle work, her school and my school? or Should i let her go? BTW Ex says he doesn't care if i yank her or not.
Oh and the counselor called about talking Tuesday about her test scores and IEP. My Ex made sure she knew that we didn't think she needed on an IEP and that if i wasn't sick(I have a bad cold and knee is a mess) I would have yanked DD today. I would have probably to. But the meeting is with this teacher also that I have no trust in. So any advice about handling that meeting would be great cause I can totally see me just downing her right and left if I am not advised how to deal. It was her first year of teaching like that but she made lots and lots of fatal mistakes in my book. Like i told the principal yesterday I have to be able to trust you with my daughter, if I can't trust you to be honest about something little like a kid throwing a block at my DD rather than her doing it to herself(yeah i over that one, so does our Ped) and teacher and aide not seeing it, how can i be sure you will be honest if something major happens?. Wow run on sentence sorry.
Anyway any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you for making it through my vent/ramble/question.

Advertisement

Last edited by mommy2kaitlyn; 08-26-2008 at 08:48 PM.
mommy2kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
pokydog
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would like some Kindergarten advice...

Wow... there's a lot going on there.

First of all, I do think K is young to rotate teachers. My ds just started K 2 weeks ago & their classroom assistant is going to be gone for a few days & yesterday he told me & broke down in tears. They get to know & trust & love their teachers quickly. Plus, your dd has already had a bad experience with that one teacher, so you don't want her rotated there.

If you think your dd should be tested for her correct level in all areas, then ask for it. Does she still have delays that would require an IEP? (If she's up to age level for speech, then why would they want more special services?)

For your meeting with the teacher, I would make a list of concerns. Then keep emotion out of it & focus on your daughter, your concerns about her education & her needs. First, have faith in the public school system & keep asking until you get what you need. If they can't meet those needs, then I'd yank her.

mama to two energetic boys, age 5 & 2!
pokydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I would follow your gut. I did not have a good feeling about my ds k teacher and I should have pulled him. Now in second he is just mow catching up to where he needs to be. I would look for a different school.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokydog View Post
Wow... there's a lot going on there.

First of all, I do think K is young to rotate teachers. My ds just started K 2 weeks ago & their classroom assistant is going to be gone for a few days & yesterday he told me & broke down in tears. They get to know & trust & love their teachers quickly. Plus, your dd has already had a bad experience with that one teacher, so you don't want her rotated there.

If you think your dd should be tested for her correct level in all areas, then ask for it. Does she still have delays that would require an IEP? (If she's up to age level for speech, then why would they want more special services?)

For your meeting with the teacher, I would make a list of concerns. Then keep emotion out of it & focus on your daughter, your concerns about her education & her needs. First, have faith in the public school system & keep asking until you get what you need. If they can't meet those needs, then I'd yank her.
Thank you for your insight!
I thought it was a little young and they need consistancy with classroom rules and i know in middle school and HS there was always a little difference in how each teacher did things. kwim?
As for the IEP they are looking for the $$$ that they get for having her on an IEP. Her last IEP was a joke it had stuff that was at level on it. I can dig it out if someone wants to know what was on it. And the low stuff on it she could do when it was written. And the only thing that she is probably between 1/2 way through K level to 1st grade is reading. I mean she doesn't know a lot of words by sight but will sound any word out she comes across and does well with that.
Oh i will have a list for sure. I just found out more than likely the vice principal that handled the incident is going to be there to. Oh lovely.
Oh yeah the teacher i mentioned is very pregnant. I mean I am not sure how far along but looks soon or pregnant with mutliples. So that will be another change to while she is on maternity leave.
Ty again!
Old 08-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyhoard View Post
I would follow your gut. I did not have a good feeling about my ds k teacher and I should have pulled him. Now in second he is just mow catching up to where he needs to be. I would look for a different school.
If I could put her in a different school i would! But the only one i could move her to i would need to transport her to and the van is shot. Does not run at all. So that is out I could pull her and put her in as soon as I get a vehicle and stuff. I mean i know it can be done I know. I will do whatever i have to, to make sure her education doesnt suffer.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

At the elementary school I worked at the kinders rotated around only for reading so they were divided up for Title 1, those on track, and those that were more advanced. The rules throughout each grade level must be consistant. Honestly I think it's a good thing because that way the students get mixed up with the other students. Also, if one student doesn't mesh with their homeroom teachers style they have some time with another teacher--in your case, it's also a second opinion on her DD's progress if you do not trust her homeroom teacher. And, when they move on to first grade and have different children in their classroom they are not all complete strangers.

I guess I'm still a little confused why you didn't know who her teacher was going to be. I know you said your DH was dealing with it--but it seems like that would be something you may want to be up on. At this point, if your daughter likes her, I would leave her there and hang up any past personal issues. I don't think she should have to be yanked from a classroom she potentially likes just because you didn't know who her teacher was going to be. Just my cheap

And I'm unclear about the IEP as well. At the elem. school I worked at IEPs were taken very seriously and revisited all the time. So, on her test scores as given by the councelor/teacher she was low and still needed an IEP... but according to you she was on track?
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would like some Kindergarten advice... * Update Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna00 View Post
At the elementary school I worked at the kinders rotated around only for reading so they were divided up for Title 1, those on track, and those that were more advanced. The rules throughout each grade level must be consistant. Honestly I think it's a good thing because that way the students get mixed up with the other students. Also, if one student doesn't mesh with their homeroom teachers style they have some time with another teacher--in your case, it's also a second opinion on her DD's progress if you do not trust her homeroom teacher. And, when they move on to first grade and have different children in their classroom they are not all complete strangers.

I guess I'm still a little confused why you didn't know who her teacher was going to be. I know you said your DH was dealing with it--but it seems like that would be something you may want to be up on. At this point, if your daughter likes her, I would leave her there and hang up any past personal issues. I don't think she should have to be yanked from a classroom she potentially likes just because you didn't know who her teacher was going to be. Just my cheap

And I'm unclear about the IEP as well. At the elem. school I worked at IEPs were taken very seriously and revisited all the time. So, on her test scores as given by the councelor/teacher she was low and still needed an IEP... but according to you she was on track?
I was told when i registered her that all the K's would be in the same room til they got tested then would be assigned to the teachers according to their level. When we had her teacher in preschool she had a different last name. She got married and it changed as she is going by the new last name so when the lady rattled off the names it didn't alarm me. We missed meet the teacher night because I had to take DD to an ER.

As for the rotating each group rotates together. So they are always with the same kids. So the interacting with others doesn't apply here. And what bothers me is she is higher in like math then reading and they based everything on reading. So if she is in say the lower level group she will be held back in math.

I don't think it matters if she likes her or not..to a point. I mean if i can't trust her how can i leave my DD with her? I mean my DD was telling me what happened and what PED agreed was only way it could have happened. So yes i like that she can tell me but the fact they didn't believe it is what bothers me. And the honesty.

IEP testing in Dec 06 which is where it was renewed, she was basically on track according to the testing. They even said they were pulling at strings to keep her on the IEP! Some of the things on it was using 4 or 5 I forget which words in a sentence 80% of the time. She had been doing that!!!! I tried to say that and they ignored it. Fast forward to May 07 and I want it dissolved because old teacher and current teacher had said she was ready for kindergarten and that would be a huge obstical. I was told they will not consider dissolving it til Dec 07 when it was up for renewal. Went round and round with them, up to school board and school board said it didn't matter they weren't letting her progress because of her age. So I looked at them and said well your loosing all her federal money, head of board said huh? I said that is right she will not be back this fall and you will lose all her federal bucks. He laughed and said see you in August. I said no you won't. And he didn't. Oh yeah and when she first started on an IEP we wanted speech therapy but she didnt qualify..she tested to high. We were upset but it worked out ok as she progressed so well anyway. She had been in EI for about 6 mos and progressed 6 mos and in the 5 mos at school progressed about 1 1/2 years in speech! Everyone said it was because she was the youngest and was challenged. Yet now that doesn't apply?
Sorry i am venting. I just am really frustrated about all this.

Last edited by mommy2kaitlyn; 08-21-2008 at 10:53 PM.
mommy2kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Well, good luck with all that. It sounds like you've completely made up your mind and are not really looking for any advice. If you feel you should remove her, then you're never going to be happy with anything the school tries to do for you.
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manna00 View Post
Well, good luck with all that. It sounds like you've completely made up your mind and are not really looking for any advice. If you feel you should remove her, then you're never going to be happy with anything the school tries to do for you.
Actually no, I do want advice to know what everyone thinks in general! Even if it is mainly saying calm down and saying how to ask for help to where they will listen. Also how to talk to them calmly to get what I know she needs!
I am not looking forward to juggling a full time job, homeschooling her and going to college myself. But i have no problems yanking her if they are not willing to meet her needs, even though they are because she should be in 1st grade and not on a IEP!
*Update*
The meeting is Tuesday at 10am. Please help guys! Every question i come up with has way to much emotion in it. Example: I have no trust in Mrs. ******, I would like Kaitlyn removed from her homeroom immediately and would not like her under her care. I guess that is more of a statement.
Also do you think I can rightfully ask that she not be near that teacher? I mean i know my rights are there. But should I? Should I just have them change her from the homeroom teacher and let her go to her class for the normal reading?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #10
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: *updated in first post* Would like some Kindergarten advice...

bump for update