Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
Kerry
Registered Users

My Mood:
Am I Crazy?

O.k. this may bit a bit long but here goes.....

First, I am a huge fan of the Montessori Method of teaching. My girls have both attended Montessori private schools and the difference is amazing. My oldest was going to a Mont. school that suddenly closed a few days before her 3rd year was to begin and my youngest was going to start her first year. We scrambled to say the least to find places for them elsewhere. My OD ended up going to a local (before we moved in Nov.) Catholic school $$ (25 min. from new house). This was very hard decision to make because we are not Catholic but did not want her going to the local public schools. I have experience with and went to the public schools there and they are also on failing lists. My YD got into a AMI Montessori school $$$ about 20-25 min from our new house.

So last year I would drive (25 min) to oldest daughters school bring her in for 8am. My YD school did not start until 9am and was about (20 min) away. So we always had some time to kill or I'd pay $5 to drop her off early. In the afternoons I would leave at 1:30pm to get OD for 2pm (25-30min). Pick her and a friends daughter up. I would drop friends daughter off at grandmothers (10 min away). Then drive to get YD (25 min away) for 3pm. We would get there about 20 minutes early everyday so we did an errand or something quick in between. After we picked YD up we would head home (20-25 min)and get home about 3:15pm. So about 2 1/2-3hrs in the car each day.

So my dilemma this year is: Both girls got into a Magnet Montessori in a major city 45 minutes away (if I don't hit traffic) drop off is 8:15-8:30am and pick up is 3:15-3:30pm. We leave at 7:15-7:30 in the morning and I leave to get them (from home) at about 2:30pm. The area is not so good either. We have a friend who is a cop and he said there really isn't any problems during the day. Still near rough areas though. 1 1/2 hrs for girls in car(to school then home). 3hrs for me (to school - to home, to school - to home)

Youngest can't take bus yet (5 and older only, next year). If I didn't send my youngest and my oldest took the bus would have to leave in the am at around 6:30am. She wouldn't get home until after 5pm.

If your child skips a year of Montessori it is extremely hard getting them back in so I really feel the need to keep them both in.

Oh and this school is FREE! Other private Montessori school now run about $10,000 a year. We have a new house and another baby on the way and we struggled with payments last year with out those worries.

My question to all you mamas who drive there kids to school. Is the drive worth it? If you feel it is can you tell me your reasons why?

I am soooooooo torn about what to do....

HELP>>>>>>>>>>>>>PLEASE

Advertisement

-http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...=1#post6502429
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
Ami in Deutschland
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Am I Crazy?

First, . Then my , even though I don't have a school-aged child. Is the bus a city bus? Or why aren't all children in the school able to ride the school bus? It seems like this kind of policy puts poorer parents at a huge disadvantage. Not everyone can drive their kid, especially with gas prices so high. I would get some phone numbers of the people in charge of the bus policy and read them the riot act (OK, I would actually be polite about it, but firm that this policy is unfair). Even if they don't change the policy, maybe you can get them to make an exception for your DD, since she has her older sister to help her. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #3
Kerry
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's actually a 12 passenger van with seat belts no carseats or boosters...She is only 4. In CT the law is kids have to be 5 to ride the "school bus". It's crazy she would be any different seeing as she only weighs 6 pounds less and about 2 inches shorter than her 6 1/2 yrs old sister. She's a big 4. Maybe I'll call the transportation company. I just don't know how I will do all this driving when the new baby gets here.....
-http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...=1#post6502429
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I was younger my mom drove us 45 min one way to an awesome private school. For two years, she drove me (aged 9-11), my sister (aged 5-7) and my other sister (aged newborn-2) and it was definitely worth it. It was a difficult adjustment at first but we got used to it. HTH
The Scientist (9) & The Entertainer (6)
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

The 5 and over rule for the buss is because there are no carseats on the bus and in most states you have to have one for a child under 5.

Personally, I would do the drive for my child's education IF you can afford the gas. Maybe you should track how much gas you use in a week and see if its worth it money wise to use that much every week while they're in school knowing that prices are most likely going to rise. If it makes financial sense to do that over other options then do it. Its the best method of learning for little ones. I'm lucky that my son's pre-k subscribes to that method and they're down the street, but his previous headstart didn't and he really didn't get anything out of it but memorizing a few facts.
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote