View Poll Results: onions for teething, have you ever used them?
yes 1 1.56%
no 57 89.06%
other, explain! 6 9.38%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #21
luvkadcl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: onions + teething

I use a homeopath and they never said homeopathy shouldn't be used for a baby. I have read that you can take them yourself and then baby would get it threw your milk. I have done both. Now if you said you would never give a 3 month old Motrin or Tylenol then I would agree. I haven't needed to give my 15 year old Motrin or Tylenol. There are always herbs and homeopathy that can take care of the problem (and not cause other problems) that Motrin and Tylenol are used for. But that's what I feel comfortable with using.You don't need to agree with me. Read and research online.

Peace,
Cindy

Advertisement

Last edited by luvkadcl; 08-19-2008 at 01:22 PM.
luvkadcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 PM   #22
HMDocsLady
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Chamomille tea frozen into cubes in the mesh teethers. What a great idea!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #23
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

While I know it is very controversial whether or not Belladonna truly is dangerous to infants (like what's in Hylands) any baby could be allergic to it and have an adverse reaction. Even on MDC there was an EBF (w/ no other meds) baby who had only 2 tablets and gone lethargic and had difficulty breathing and needed to go to the ER. Other reports of the same thing have been made and the only thing that really concerns me is the Belladonna. I've tried to avoid it and found an alternative, I wish I had the bottle still but recently gave it to my friend for her teething DS but I found it at Whole Foods with all the other Hylands products. I know that some people feel it's just the pharm. big wigs trying to bring down the homeopathic industry, but if Belladonna is their only bad guy than I think it's a losing battle! I still use the products all the time, I just stay away from certain ones.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #24
cacrosley
Registered Users
seller

Why can you not touch the teething tablets? I just started using them for my dd and I hold it under her tongue so that it doesn't just go down her throat. How are you supposed to do it?

My ped just mentioned not to use the Hyland teething tabs too much because of the Belladonna. Does anyone know the name of something else that works that doesn't have belladonna?

Thanks
Carrie
cacrosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:56 PM   #25
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

I heard about onions here on DS from someone. I never tried it because I can't stand onion breath. Anyway, our teething necklace works great!!

Oh and teeth and boobs definitely mix. Both of my babies were born with teeth and both were nursing at birth until over a year old and even a full set of teeth.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #26
thefragile7393
Registered Users

I've heard this works....the green part of scallions I think or whatever onion looks like a scallion. I dunno. I'd keep an eye on dc if I did do it. But then, I'm one for unconventional teething methods so take it for what it's worth lol.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #27
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeamami83 View Post
my mil swears by giving a baby an onion to chew on while teething. i believe they are called spring onions. my prob is she wants me to use it for my 3mo. i think hes too little. anyone have any info on this? what do u think? what do you use for teething?

nak
i know about boiling an onion to get rid of colic symptoms (give them a tsp of the water) but for the teething; we gave ds 1/2oz of chamomile tea with 2oz water warmed at night and through-out the day. It was the only thing that would calm him down.

Last edited by eragsdale; 08-19-2008 at 11:28 PM.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #28
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacrosley View Post
Why can you not touch the teething tablets? I just started using them for my dd and I hold it under her tongue so that it doesn't just go down her throat. How are you supposed to do it?

My ped just mentioned not to use the Hyland teething tabs too much because of the Belladonna. Does anyone know the name of something else that works that doesn't have belladonna?

Thanks
Carrie
Camilia by Boiron
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #29
fireballgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, mama for starting this thread! My 8 mo just popped his first tooth yesterday, and has been really crabby. I read this around 2:00 at work and called my MIL who was watching him and asked her to give him one. When I got home, she said he had stopped fussing for the rest of the day, and he yelled at us when we tried to take it away. She is Colombian, and told me that her mother used to give green onions to babies to help with teething. Oh, and her mother also would cut a little sliver of green onion and put it up a babies' bum if he was constipated. Eeeeew. I think I'll stick to feeding him a tablespoon of prunes now and then.
fireballgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #30
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eragsdale View Post
Camilia by Boiron

we used it with ds, along with an amber teething necklace I also DONT agree with using motrin or tylnol on a young child just for teething reasons.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote