Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM   #21
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Re: mamas with older kiddos . . .

I'm always shocked when I hear about people wiping their 5+ year old's bum, but I dont know why as it seems pretty common. I know at the preschool my 5 year old ds went to last year, they had to wipe theirself. I've always taught that along with potty training and most of my kids could wipe good alone within 6 months of training, whether they were 2 or 3 when they trained. I think it just comes with practice. Have her keep practicing and check her when she's done. When she's got it good for a while, she's ready to fly solo!!

Advertisement

Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #22
ambersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest dd wiped for herself since she turned 3, all of our friends kids were about the same. I am surprised, didnt know this was out of the norm.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:21 PM   #23
jollygoodANDgreen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyfrog View Post
I'm always shocked when I hear about people wiping their 5+ year old's bum, but I dont know why as it seems pretty common. I know at the preschool my 5 year old ds went to last year, they had to wipe theirself. I've always taught that along with potty training and most of my kids could wipe good alone within 6 months of training, whether they were 2 or 3 when they trained. I think it just comes with practice. Have her keep practicing and check her when she's done. When she's got it good for a while, she's ready to fly solo!!
I'm beginning to think the difference is whether or not the parent introduces that option to the lo. I just always had it in my mind that there was no way she could do that by herself so I just did it for her kwim? She's my oldest though so you live n learn right, we have practiced alot in the last day or so & I think she'll be caught up & doing this herself in no time at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersrose View Post
My oldest dd wiped for herself since she turned 3, all of our friends kids were about the same. I am surprised, didnt know this was out of the norm.
Since this situation has come about, and I'm so glad I've asked here on DS, I am definitely having DD1 wipe herself until she's a pro & will start this w DD2 NOW who is just recently pl'd. Again, I know all kids are different but I think if the parent at least gives them the chance (which I wasn't doing) they are very capable as soon as they pl.