Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-02-2018, 06:05 AM   #31
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: The biggest problem with today's parenting is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingtosee View Post
What I see is a lot of babying older kids. I've had to put my foot down with ds hanging out with one of his friends who is 11 (my kid is 10) because I don't want him thinking that this behavior is ok or for him to start bullying the kid. He cries about everything. I asked him to put the pizza in the oven for me and he cried literal tears because he shouldn't have to get near something hot. I was at an amusement park with him and his mom, and he started crying and stomping after getting off the bumper cars because someone pushed his car- his mom just kept telling him it was ok, they'd try again, etc. He's 11, not 3. If my kid acted like that he'd be banned from going to any activities in public until he could get it together. He's not special needs either, we've known this kid his whole life.

He's got a 12 year old friend that isn't allowed to even make himself a sandwich. Maybe I'm just the odd one, because at this age I expect ds to be fully capable of fixing himself cold foods and able to cook a few things, he mows the lawn, does dishes, puts his laundry away....
I agree.

I was shocked to find out my SIL didn't allow her daughter to use a knife at age 14. Um. She will be grown soon.....

Advertisement

jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #32
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Then they get stuck with an adult child who can't handle life. They set them up to really suffer when real life knocks them around.

I know I was too over protective with my eldest. We caught on eventually but there was a period of time when it was tough for all of us.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #33
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I agree.

I was shocked to find out my SIL didn't allow her daughter to use a knife at age 14. Um. She will be grown soon.....
This boggles my mind. How long is she planning to wait before teaching her daughter to use a knife? Until she can drive?

I think sometimes parents just start out not letting kids do things because they aren't big enough...and then years go by and they don't realize their kids aren't "too little" anymore. We start ours in the kitchen early, doing easy, safe things, and then it is a smooth, gradual transition to more responsibility. Yes, it is messier; yes, they have gotten small burns and cut fingers occasionally; but that is how they learned to be more careful.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #34
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
This boggles my mind. How long is she planning to wait before teaching her daughter to use a knife? Until she can drive?

I think sometimes parents just start out not letting kids do things because they aren't big enough...and then years go by and they don't realize their kids aren't "too little" anymore. We start ours in the kitchen early, doing easy, safe things, and then it is a smooth, gradual transition to more responsibility. Yes, it is messier; yes, they have gotten small burns and cut fingers occasionally; but that is how they learned to be more careful.
Boogled mine too. But she was equally boogled that I let my kids start with knives at 3-4 years old (Under close supervision of course). We are like you, our kids help in the kitchen and go from little mess makers to little chefs somewhat smoothly. It is messy and time consuming--we are talking about the letter C today, so we just mixed up a cake. Pretty sure there's still a bit of eggshell in the batter. But it teaches them so much to help like that, and they will be more confident and better equipped for the future.

I assume the girl eventually learned to use a knife but she is very similar to the grown children we are discussing here. An adult....sort of. Two kids, no partner, no job, no plan.... It's sad.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:27 AM   #35
nothingtosee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post

I assume the girl eventually learned to use a knife but she is very similar to the grown children we are discussing here. An adult....sort of. Two kids, no partner, no job, no plan.... It's sad.
I'm concerned that's how this friend of ds's will end up. His mom doesn't work, her husband doesn't work, the kid's biodad doesn't work...the mom and stepdad live with 9 other people in a 3bd house, and the biodad lives in a tent somewhere. Everyone thinks this is all fine and dandy. I'm horrified.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:16 AM   #36
cresto82
Registered Users

I get annoyed with parents just allowing their kids to do whatever they want just because they are kids. That is not the right way to do parenting. It's a surefire way of raising the kid to be spoiled and rotten. If your kid does something like making noises in public or not being well behaved, make sure to lecture the kid properly so they know how to behave. Parents should not let their children do whatever they want just because they're toddlers.
cresto82 is offline   Reply With Quote