Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #1
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

Choosing Baby Names (w/o killing your husband)

My husband and I have COMPLETELY different taste when it comes to names. He likes very traditional and biblical names, whereas I prefer names that are slightly less common but not totally out there. I'm only 15 weeks pregnant and we've already had a couple small arguments about baby names! No matter what we end up choosing, I feel that one of us will be compromising a little and I hate that because I want us to choose a name we both love! Does anyone else have experience with this or any tips??

Advertisement

amdafforn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Choosing Baby Names (w/o killing your husband)

You sound the opposite of DH and I...I am the one that tends more towards traditional and he is the one that likes different (but not totally crazy) names. He also likes super old names. Really the only thing I know of to do it keep talking about it, keep throwing out ideas to each other, and if you eventually need to compromise then do so. Our bio kids names are

Keegan Daniel
Rachel Grace
Kennah Reene--funny enough we could NOT agree on a girls name for her. We never find out gender so we need to pick 2 names each pregnancy. I told all our friends and family to submit names that they liked (but would not use for their potential children) and a lady at church suggested this. We both love it.
David Issac
Addilyn Joy

So I guess looking at our list we mostly ended up with names that are traditional, but not super popular currently, at least for the age of child we used them with.

We also have 2 foster sons and their names are pretty different but not totally crazy. I don't like their names at all, but DH does. When our adoption is final we are changing their names...in the end their new names will be a bit less traditional than our bio kids because we do want to sort of give a nod to their past while still choosing a new name for their new family.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Even if one of you (or both) ends up compromising a little, if you both are okay with the name there is a good chance you will both end up loving it, just because it belongs to your baby. I have sometimes (this baby and another one) had a name I loved from the beginning but my husband took some time to get used to it/start liking it. And I've also had a name I wanted that he didn't love but finally got used to and then we changed it in the hospital because it didn't fit our baby when she came out. So, I know it isn't easy not to stress about it (I know I totally do when I don't have a name picked out) but it will work out. Like Jen said, keep bouncing names off each other, and don't take it too seriously, you have time and you'll find something that suits you both.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I named my second baby immediately after her birth. With our first we picked a name early on that we both liked, but with this one we couldn't agree. We had 3 or 4 names picked out when we went to the hospital and decided we would pick when we saw her. When I held her for the first time I picked her name and it was not any of the ones we had decided on, but he went along with it, probably because I had just given birth! I would suggest coming up with a few that you like, even if one of you doesn't love it, and then decide for sure later on. I don't know what my husband thinks of my daughter's name (Aria), since we never discussed it until I randomly named her, but he hasn't complained about it.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

we compromised some, and I'm happy with it now. I first thought DH was joking when he suggested Max because I thought it was an old man's name, but it eventually grew on me, so that by the time DS was here I was ok with the name. Now I love it and am glad we didn't choose anything else. Once it becomes your child's name, you'll be happy with it I think. Your child makes the name, so don't worry. You're going to love that babe

We had plenty of fights over baby names, though. That is not at all unusual. We didn't actually finalize the baby name until we were in the hospital and the nurse was asking what we were naming him. DH wanted to name DS after my dad, who is still living. I thought that felt a little weird. I like the name and the idea of honoring him, if my dad were dead, but I thought family things would be a little complicated for people like my mom, who would call them both by their first names. So... yeah, we fought a lot, and heaven help us all if/when we decide to start working on a second baby.
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:04 AM   #6
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

Glad to hear we're not the only ones! If we have a boy DH wants to name him after himself (Jeremiah) which I agreed to with the condition that he will go by his middle name, not his first name. I know we have plenty of time to decide but it is definitely stressful!
Old 06-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My husband and I both like slightly different but not out there names... and we still had ALOT of trouble agreeing on names for both children.

We did a lot of writing lists and comparing making short lists of what we did like. My husband tends to be more stubborn than I - I actually let things "grow on me". With our first, I realize late with our final list that it didn't have a single name on it I had chosen. Only one name of his that I changed the spelling on.

I love my sons name and I'm glad for it all, but I did play that guilt card a bit when making a list for our second. DD name was one that I put on the list and I think we are all happy for it.

Anyway I feel for your situation!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
kristinajura
Registered Users
seller

We (well I) make a table. Girl side, boy side & the meaning and origin for each name. Then I run it by DH & he vetos anything he doesn't like right off the bat & suggests some to add, then I cross off what I don't like of his. Then we go back and work on deciding what we both like and figure out a combination.

With this one though, I had made my chart... Then on the way to dinner at our friends' house, the topic came up, we ran through my lists & came up with both a boy & girl name within less than 10 min. It was amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #9
amdafforn16
Registered Users
seller

That sounds perfect! I made a list of girl names one day and he asked me to send it to him and he hated them all. I told him to make a list too so we could try to find something to compromise on but he never did. I'm sort of hoping for a boy because I think we'll have a much easier time agreeing on a boy name than a girl.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #10
Kelley76
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdafforn16 View Post
Glad to hear we're not the only ones! If we have a boy DH wants to name him after himself (Jeremiah) which I agreed to with the condition that he will go by his middle name, not his first name. I know we have plenty of time to decide but it is definitely stressful!
Jeremiah is a nice name, I'd call him Remi as a nn.