Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #21
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Reusing Shoes question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinajura View Post
I've never heard of hand me down shoes being a concern. Is it just because of the wear they get & different foot types between kids? Or something else?

I have 2 boys ages 1 & 3. Younger one has wider feet, so not all of the older one's shoes even fit, but I've been saving them for the younger. And I've found Stride Rites & other nice, name brand shoes at the second hand store for like $5. Should we stop looking there & just buy new from now on?

I never remember my shoes being handed down to my sister, but I assume older kids wear their shoes out way more than little ones, so they're not even worthy of considering to pass on.
Gah!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some at the consignment are new or as good as new. I just sold a pair of boots that my kid wore maybe 5 times and mostly to be in the car? Sometimes people buy in advance or buy too many. So if you are going that route and are concerned just make sure you don't see wear on the inside.

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #22
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Recently bought a pair of shoes for my nephew at a second hand srore. $2 and looked brand new. Pricing on shoes depend on brand here. Sketcher, Nike, etc and they price high. Lesser known brands ore cheaper brands go cheap. At the rate kids go through shoes I don't often worry much about quality. My exception is ds1. I do pay more to get him a better quality shoe. He wears through cheaper shoes at the rate of a pair every 4-6 weeks. Better quality shoes tend to last him 4-6 months. So I pay either way.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #23
kristinajura
Registered Users
seller

So the issue is worn insides/ arch support , yeah? Not some other weird problem with secondhand shoes?

kristinajura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #24
Agla
Super Admin
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
So the issue is worn insides/ arch support , yeah? Not some other weird problem with secondhand shoes?

From what I understand babies feet are forming and you don't want to affect their gait or foot formation.

I always used soft soled shoes for the first year and beyond. So those were new.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:45 PM   #25
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

Right, but the best option is to have your kids go barefoot or in socks most of the time, and only wear shoes when they absolute must. That promotes the most healthy foot development for most children. Then the shoes themselves become irrelevant because they aren't worn often enough to matter. Like my kids wear their shoes maybe a total of 50 hours per pair (2 hours a week for about six months per size). That's less than most adults wear shoes in a week. So even though my youngest daughter is the fifth person to own her current shoes, she doesn't wear them enough to even make a difference.

Last edited by Melinda29; 02-09-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:56 PM   #26
kristinajura
Registered Users
seller

Gotcha. Thanks! We're good with that, lol. We only wear shoes to play outside if it's too cold/ dirty/etc or when we are going out somewhere.

kristinajura is offline   Reply With Quote