Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #21
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Alternative to rice cereal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
I waited until 6 months to introduce solids, and we started with table foods, whatever vegetable we were eating for dinner. I never fed my infants rice or oatmeal.
We did this. Baby led weaning and I'm really happy we decided to do this. I get to enjoy my meals, baby is part of the family and is developing his motor skills and taste for real foods very quickly. I don't have to worry about overfeeding and I think he will learn to eat neater faster than a baby fed purees first. Highly recommend you consider BLW!

P.S. We started with banana and avocado, cut into large french fry size pieces easy for baby to hold.

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #22
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebee9702 View Post
I have heard a little big of baby led weaning but not much. I would love more info! It seems like such a more natural way of introducing foods But Im not sure of exactly HOW to do.
If you are on facebook, there is a large and active group for Baby Led Weaning. There is a ton of research online. The basic idea is baby self feeds themselves, no spoon feeding or purees, starting at 6 months.

http://www.rapleyweaning.com/assets/blwleaflet.pdf
Old 08-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #23
booksopenminds
Registered Users

We've never given cereal to our babies. Big advocates for BLW though. Starting table food at 6 months has worked great for us. The best part is that their fine motor control is amazing! I've had preemies & we see a developmental pedi for evals to make sure that they are on track- they are consistently amazed how far ahead their fine motor are (even when other things are lagging way behind).
booksopenminds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #24
babybuoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Rice cereal is nice... you can add it in a bottle in small amounts.
Or, there is oatmeal cereal.
I liked the idea of the food being a "filler" because it got their little tummies used to solids slowly, and it's pretty tasteless. I also liked how I could modify the thickness or thinness.
babybuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #25
miriamleigh
Registered Users

Another vote for BLW. We've done it with both our girls and it's fun! DD1 didn't really eat until she was past a year. My pediatrician assured me that they don't need anything but formula or breastmilk for the first year.
miriamleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #26
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When it was time to introduce solids, my youngest flat out rejected pureed food. He wanted something to put in his hand and smash into his face. Dried avocado in the hair was a common sight for a good six months or so

I tell you this because there really isn't a right or wrong way to introduce solids.

Four months seems young to me because none of my kids wanted solids until after six months. That doesn't mean you can't try. Baby isn't going to sprout a third eye or anything. There's no rhyme or reason for what food should be first. My Israeli gf looked at me like I was crazy when I said I didn't give peanut products in the first year. Her then 8-month-old lived on Bamba Snacks (puffed peanut butter crisps. YUM)

Be smart about it - don't let them suck on a tube of frosting for their first solid foods Try lots of things. Look for reactions. Remember that it takes an average of twelve exposures for littles to start to like a food.

Have fun Messy food pictures are so cute!
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #27
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
I waited until 6 months to introduce solids, and we started with table foods, whatever vegetable we were eating for dinner. I never fed my infants rice or oatmeal.
us too... ds's first food was steamed sweet potaoto "fries" when he was right about 6 months. we never did cereal, and only rarely purees, and those were things that even a grown up would eat pureed- applesauce, mashed potatoes, etc

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 AM   #28
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

I do like using cereals, but I like to make my own. If you have a good blender or mill you can do it. Grind the rice or oats to a fine powder. Later you can leave more texture as baby grows. Cook a 1/2 cup of cereal in 2 cups of water on the stove until thickened. Thin it out with more liquid until its the consistency you'd like. Let cool and feed some to baby, then store the rest in the fridge and reheat as needed for several more feedings.

Grains actually have lots of nutrition. Most of world lives on them with a little vegetables and not much else. Too much fruit and veggies can lead to some pretty acidic poop and an irritated bum and tummy IME. While I appreciate new insights and baby trends, there is a reason why cereals have been a weaning food for ages.

If you go to veggies, try sweet potatoes or squash. Both are low allergen and non acidic and mildly sweet enough to appeal to babies. Ripe mashed bananas are really nice for a first fruit.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:26 PM   #29
clhardin
Registered Users

If you really want to do a cereal try oatmeal or quinoa (technically a seed, not a grain).
clhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #30
lisali
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree with the other people who commented. You should first wait at least six months before introducing solid food to your baby. I donít like rice cereals so we used fruits and vegetables instead. We bought some bananas, avocados as well as potatoes. Every baby is different with what they like.

Last edited by lisali; 10-26-2013 at 07:06 AM.
lisali is offline   Reply With Quote