Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
50+ lb stroller

Does anyone have any experience with higher weight strollers? My son gets overheated easily and wears out easily. He's getting too big to carry and in the summer, its too hot esp since he would already be overheated. He's 42lbs now but I'd rather get something that will last. I don't have a large budget either.
(My son has a couple dxes but none that would require a medical stroller or chair so insurance paying for something probably won't happen. His overheating issue is not dxed at all but his easily wearing out probably has something to do with his motor planning disorder.)

Advertisement

m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #2
mekat
Registered Users

Re: 50+ lb stroller

Maclaren and many jogging stollers have higher weight capacities. If you need a long term solution though I suggest going special needs route. I have used the Convaid Metro but there is also the Maclaren Major and Special Tomato Jogger. Remember many of these strollers can be bought used both mainstream strollers and the special needs strollers you just have to be patient and look for a deal. I once scored an $1800 pediatric standing wheelchair off Craigslist for $75 cash.

If he tires easily and is older I would suggest a fixed 30 degree tilt. Tilt will be less tiring then sitting up straight but still allow him to be actively engaged in his environment. If young and still napping age then just go with a cheaper recline model.

Honestly though I would suggest keeping him active indoors or outside activities only during early morning, late evenings while wearing a cooling vest. Try alternatives like ice skating, indoor rock wall climbing, ball pits, indoor pool, indoor basketball court etc... An over heated child is typically not enjoying themselves anyways. It stinks I know. I have had to cross Zoos and theme parks off our list of activities except in Fall and Spring when temperature is more mild.

Last edited by mekat; 04-13-2015 at 04:38 PM.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #3
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: 50+ lb stroller

Thanks! I didn't think about craigslist. He is 5. Still needs naps most days even though his younger sister does not. There have been days at the zoo when he will wilt after 5-10 min and wants to go home. On cooler days he loves it and runs around but still needs frequent rests. I made him a pocket vest that we use as a cooling vest with ice-packs inside the pockets. It helped him sooo much last year when we went camping. He's #5 and DH and I never really used strollers with the others after they were mobile (so about 2yrs). Him and #6(spd) have really showed us how different kids needs can be. Esp kids who look normal at first glance.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote