Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
NarwhalMama
Registered Users

Question Less bulky (trimmer) newborn option?

I have a 3-month-old new baby. We have been cloth diapering only parttime (newborn bamboo/cotton prefolds trifolded in PUL covers) because I am unable to convince my husband to like cloth. His main objection at the moment is how bulky the diapers are on our baby girl.

She has several times peeded out of the newborn bamboo/cotton prefolds, but putting the next size up prefolds on her (small) is just too much diaper (and my hubby already thinks the newborn prefolds trifolded is extra fluffy.

I'm looking for a better, trimmer solution. I've heard good things about flats, and I'm not opposed to doing a little cutting and/or sewing. I was thinking about getting some Osocozy bamboo flats (I love how soft bamboo is). Would flats give me a trimmer fit? What if I cut them in half or cut them down a little?

Advertisement

NarwhalMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #2
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Less bulky (trimmer) newborn option?

My absolute favorite for young babies are stretchy flats. They are super trim and absorbent. If you can sew, I would buy some fabric and cut flats the size you want them. There is a thread on here of a mama doing just that. I will see if I can find it for you.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Flats are trimmer. Aios can also be trimmer. Attaching instead of trifolding would also be trimmer. Maybe try that first with what u have.

Btw if u click "first diaper" in My sig you can see my second in attached flats and other diapers her first 2 weeks.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 04-14-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #4
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Hello and congratulations on the baby! When starting a CD journey there’s commonly a hurdle. In your case it’s hubby. Who is doing the majority of the diaper changes? Who’s washing the clothes? Who’s dressing baby? How do you like the prefolds so far? Yes, flats can give a more trim look. Just remember than the more trim, the less absorbency. As baby grows the pfs you have will “appear” more trim. If you want to “try” flats, just look through your baby stuff and grab a cotton (or bamboo) receiving blanket that’s any where between 23x23 to 27x27. That’s the common size for “one size” flats. Fold into a square, Then make that square into a rectangle. No sewing needed. As pixi mentioned, fastening your prefolds or the flats can look a little more trim. In the end, if you enjoy what you have but hubby doesn’t, you use yours when you change and he can use whatever he wants when he does. For more fun, do as chirpy suggested and make your own amazing lux flats! Hugs! Happy cloth diapering.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #5
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I find the cover is the real offender. If it is stiff the whole diaper is stiff and bulky. A Bummis Super Whisper Wrap is going to be stiffer than a flip wrap, etc. My favorite solution is to skip a cover and just use wool pants which double as a cover. I also agree that some all in one's are less bulky.

For making bamboo flats, I just got OBV and cut it into squares--I went a little smaller than one-size birdseye flats since it is more absorbent. No sewing required, I've used them on and off for 5 years and they didn't come apart at all.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:28 AM   #6
NarwhalMama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamInGreen View Post
Hello and congratulations on the baby! When starting a CD journey there’s commonly a hurdle. In your case it’s hubby. Who is doing the majority of the diaper changes? Who’s washing the clothes? Who’s dressing baby? How do you like the prefolds so far? Yes, flats can give a more trim look. Just remember than the more trim, the less absorbency. As baby grows the pfs you have will “appear” more trim. If you want to “try” flats, just look through your baby stuff and grab a cotton (or bamboo) receiving blanket that’s any where between 23x23 to 27x27. That’s the common size for “one size” flats. Fold into a square, Then make that square into a rectangle. No sewing needed. As pixi mentioned, fastening your prefolds or the flats can look a little more trim. In the end, if you enjoy what you have but hubby doesn’t, you use yours when you change and he can use whatever he wants when he does. For more fun, do as chirpy suggested and make your own amazing lux flats! Hugs! Happy cloth diapering.
I do the majority of the diaper changes because I'm home most. I also do all the laundry. I like my prefolds for ease of use, but honestly I bought them thinking they would be easy daddy diapers, and now he doesn't like them. I have both pockets and covers that I put the prefolds in, but ease of use isn't his (current) complaint. I might try out some of the extra receiving blankets I have, as you suggest, but I'll have to hide them in pockets or try it when he's not around (he feels that I shouldn't diaper with things that aren't designed as diapers... I get the same thing from people not used to cloth).
NarwhalMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:40 AM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Get a snapi and try the angel wing fold with your prefold. See if he likes that better. :-)
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Old 05-10-2018, 04:19 AM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Btw, if u end up liking the receiving blanket. Check out the absobancy sticky. U can test and may get some facts to help with that discussion when it's time.

Tags
flats, less bulky, newborn stash, prefolds, trimmer