Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
mysisalina
Registered Users

Parents of SPD Seekers/Crashers? Or just hyperactive/wild/feral! LOL

Is this a good site to discuss issues with raising kids such as SPD seekers/crashers? I have two.... they are wild things! I'm OKAY with this but realizing we have been slowly setting our home up all wrong with toys that they would sit and play with and then they explode out of sheer understimulation and stimming with high pitch noises from lack of activity! These little girls can be likened to a couple of older, hyperactive, feral boys!!!

When they play WILD they are much more well balanced/kind to themselves and the family. I've slowly been putting away the few toys they have and this is helping.

I don't need discipline ideas, that's not the issue here.
Diet isn't the trouble, they don't eat artificial food at all. Everything is from the earth or animal, prepared at home by me.

I need ideas for creating a home that is set up for them to be WILD! They are allowed to climb, jump, run, dance (no worries they respect boundaries when it comes to other homes/places...for the most part!)

They spent countless hours outdoors from early AM on, but indoors needs some help. I *have* to work on this! My older daughter is being re-evaluated for SPD, maybe we will eventually get to work with an OT that gets it.

We are poor, like poverty poor so I can't buy all of those amazing sensory gym/room supplies, or much of anything to be honest. This situation will improve in 1-2 years but for now we have almost zero to spend. So I have to be extremely resourceful and creative.

We rent a house but have flexibility in installing/building inside if we'd like.

It is a smallish house, the girls share a room and we have one other bedroom (mine/husband's) The bedrooms run the back of the house with a shared bathroom in between. we are expecting #3 in January.

The other half of the house is basically one room, living room on one end, kitchen on the other. We have to have two work spaces ("offices") for husband and I. And small dining table in the middle behind the sofa. A couple of small corner nooks that could be hardly usable for wild play but maybe!

The girls have a small indoor trampoline and those foam climbing blocks but those are too babyish I think. These are tough, strong, highly active little girls. They love heavy work, testing everything in the house for durability......

Maybe ideas for incorporating a gym of sorts in their bedroom? Just throwing myself out there in case anyone can relate! Even if you don't have SPD/special needs, I'd say just having wild children in general you could relate!!

Advertisement

mysisalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Parents of SPD Seekers/Crashers? Or just hyperactive/wild/feral! LOL

Do you still have your crib mattress? I sometimes let my children ride it down the stairs. They are allowed to jump on their beds. My husband wrestles my son twice per day - this is very important. And of course my son needs to be outside as much as possible, digging and chasing. He just does a lot of gross motor activity and generally I allow it. He's part of the family and has needs, so I'm accommodating them, you know?

We are considering making a little "padded room" which would just involve walling off a little space and lining it with crash pad material. It's big bucks though.

Even though they are very into gross motor, you can feed their needs in other ways. We purchased a therapy ball which he can sit on, yes, but also, we roll it onto his back to "flatten" him. We had a seamstress DS mom make a 5 pound blanket for our son as well.

And two things that are fine motor, but are very worth looking into because you will be surprised how much they need this too, is therapy putty (my son used Medium) and Magnatiles, which although expensive, make a very satisfying click and feel when they connect to one another. Get the evaluations and hopefully at OT will help you further.

Oh and if you haven't google sensory diet and you will find stuff out there.

Last edited by danielle; 07-09-2016 at 02:01 PM.
danielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We do have a lot of the sensory toys, simply because it was less expensive and much more effective to invest in them and be able to use them daily over going to OT once a week for an hour.

We have a Gorilla Gym, which is a bar system for a doorway. That is awesome. Pricey, but so so helpful. A friend of ours also made her a silks (like the kind used for aerial work) swing, which is very loved. We have gymnastics mats because of my husbands job, so those are used to tumble on, push, pull, and build with. I have the folding gym mats and an octagon 3-d mat for flipping over. Because my girls do gymnastics, we also have a balance beam and springboard. We have an outdoor trampoline which gets a ton of use. And we go swimming as often as possible in the summer. We have a dizzy disc swing and a spider web swing outside for her as well.

Some less expensive 'toys' are our scooters, the kind you use in a PE class. They are a square to sit on with four swiveling wheels. Easily made, but also inexpensive from Amazon. And the bouncy ball, again, pretty inexpensive from Amazon. Sit n spin, bought for $1 at a yard sale. Rocker board, magnatiles, wooden plank blocks. I bought a length of spandex fabric that I wrap her in like a burrito, you could sew it into a 'bag' and let them stretch in it. A pop up tunnel is nice to have and doesn't take up so much space. We have made a quiet sensory spot with a kiddie pool filled with pillows and blankets and a bed canopy hanging over it.

Heavy work!!! Look on Pinterest for a ton of ideas. You can easily do it with a full laundry basket, jugs of water, or a weighted backpack. Think pushing, pulling, lifting, ect. I have my little one carry her own water in a Camel Back which also grounds her with the weight. We have found little bean bags and weighted balls inexpensively, and use those in conjunction with learning activities. Ankle weights and resistance bands are readily found, and can help with grounding and heavy work. I had a rice and lavender filled hot pack that works nicely as a weighted lap blanket.

I made a calm down box (one bigger one for the house, and a small travel sized one for when we went home) with a bottle of calling essential oil, a bottle of rescue remedy, some paper and crayons to draw her anger/fears, little figurines to act out the problem, some books on feelings, balloons to blow her angry breath into, squeeze stress ball, thinking putty, packet of lavender bath salts (warm baths really help her and it's not rare that she has more than one per day lol), chewy toy, headphones and a relaxing music cd. Sometimes with SPD, the seeking/avoiding becomes too much, and they show it with meltdowns, anxiety, anger, ect. Have a box to go to with plenty of ideas that she can use on her own is helping. Of course, I'm always there to help her, but it's empowering for her to be able to do it on her own as well.

Probably the best thing I've done for her is the brushing protocol. It's intense, being every two hours while she's awake, but it's helped her emotional regulation a ton. Hope this helps a little!

Last edited by mommy2abigail; 07-30-2016 at 08:18 AM.
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #4
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
I dream of having a sensory room.

Right now we have a weighted vest and weighted blanket (made by me) and those do help.

The things I would really like are to make a crash pad (foam for it is out of the budget for now) and a cuddle swing (this I just need to figure out where I can mount it in the ceiling).

Pinterest is your friend! Lots of great ideas.

Some things we enjoy are the sit and spin, rocker board, bilibo, mini trampoline, and the exercise ball.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
BlissfullMom888
Registered Users

Diet can still play a role even if you eat all natural, organic, etc. My 7 year old will go thru the roof if he eats foods like almonds, berries, grapes, or apples. These foods are high in salycilates and can cause hyperactivity and sensory seeking in sensitive kids. He is so much better when we keep him on a low "sals" diet.
BlissfullMom888 is offline   Reply With Quote