Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #21
kezoo's Avatar
kezoo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 8,031
My Mood:
Re: supplimenting RAW goats milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utvol3 View Post
Why raw? I am just curious. Shouldn't it be pasturized or something? Or is that what the freezing is for?
No, IMO nobody should drink pasteurized milk - all the good stuff has been killed off and it is a dead food at that point. Raw is much better and has loads of beneficial bacteria and active enzymes and healthly proteins (proteins which are denatured and altered by pasteurization to something most human bodies can't digest). More info at www.realmilk.org

Advertisement

__________________
Kerry
Mama to Gavin (3/26/03) , Claire (6/14/05) and Oliver (hb 4/24/08)
ISO: nothing! | IHA: small fitteds, small & med wool
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #22
jraejohnson's Avatar
jraejohnson
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: florida
Posts: 2,391
My Mood:
Re: supplimenting RAW goats milk

i didn't read the whole thread and do not profess to know everything, but with my son's serve allergies to cow's milk and soy. our pediatric allergist said absolutely NO goat's milk or milk from any mammal. he is allergic to beef/lamb, dairy, wheat, tree nuts, eggs
"A milk allergy occurs when the immune system mistakenly sees the milk protein as something the body should fight off. This starts an allergic reaction, which can cause an infant to be fussy and irritable, and cause an upset stomach and other symptoms. Most kids who are allergic to cow's milk also react to goat's milk and sheep's milk, and some of them are also allergic to the protein in soy milk"
http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical...k_allergy.html
__________________
jessica SAHM to brandon 10, jacob 8, olivia 7, adrian 5, and peyton 4, charlotte 1. and Judah 4 months
jraejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #23
jraejohnson's Avatar
jraejohnson
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: florida
Posts: 2,391
My Mood:
Re: supplimenting RAW goats milk

"Since young children are at big risk for getting sick from any bacteria that may be in raw milk and they need vitamin D, it is important that you not give your child raw, unpasteurized cow's milk. In fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics states that "children should not consume unpasteurized milk or products made from unpasteurized milk, such as cheese and butter, from species including cows, sheep, and goats

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/milk/a/0807_raw_milk.htm
__________________
jessica SAHM to brandon 10, jacob 8, olivia 7, adrian 5, and peyton 4, charlotte 1. and Judah 4 months
jraejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #24
kezoo's Avatar
kezoo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 8,031
My Mood:
Re: supplimenting RAW goats milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraejohnson View Post
"Since young children are at big risk for getting sick from any bacteria that may be in raw milk and they need vitamin D, it is important that you not give your child raw, unpasteurized cow's milk. In fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics states that "children should not consume unpasteurized milk or products made from unpasteurized milk, such as cheese and butter, from species including cows, sheep, and goats

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/milk/a/0807_raw_milk.htm
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, but that's an extremely uneducated viewpoint from the AAP, etc. People seem to think that farmers are still milking their cows by hand into gross old wooden buckets!!! That is so far from the truth! The farmer that we get our raw cow's milk from is a state certified dairy farmer who provides milk to larger dairies who pasteurize and sell the milk nationally. His milk is regularly tested by the state and has NEVER been above the level for any dangerous pathogens. What's more, raw milk actually has the ability to protect itself from pathogens - raw milk purposely infected with e.coli or salmonella will actually kill the bacteria while pasteurized milk infected with the same rapidly becomes a putrid teeming mass of dangerous bacteria. Raw milk is just like human breast milk with its anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties - once it is pasteurized, these properties are lost. It is important, though, that you KNOW your farmer if you are consuming raw milk - visit the farm and make sure you are happy with the milk-collection & transfer equipment, etc. The reason pasteurization is important with massive, grain-feeding, antibiotic treating dairies is that the milk from those cows is NOT safe to consume, it is unhealthy and because the farmers know they will pasteurize their milk, they don't have to be as careful with their cows or the milk. You couldn't PAY me to go back to unhealthy pasteurized milk. My dd actually cannot consume pasteurized milk without breaking out in eczema patches (this started when she was still EBF - she was reacting to the altered milk proteins in my milk from the past. milk I was consuming.) When I cut all dairy, her skin cleared up within 3 days and was perfect!!! I introduced raw dairy only, and she didn't react at all. But if I "cheated" and had any pasteurized dairy (even a dollop of sour cream on a potato, or a slight amount in a granola bar), she would break out with eczema patches within 12 hours. Obviously raw milk is MUCH better for her health than past. milk; not to mention that I can't digest past. milk (it sends me running to the bathroom immediately!), but I don't have any problems w/ raw - I have a glass every night before I go to bed. Plus it tastes waaaaaaaay better than past. milk.

Oh, and we get our Vit D they way nature intended - from the sun - not from artificial stuff added to food.
__________________
Kerry
Mama to Gavin (3/26/03) , Claire (6/14/05) and Oliver (hb 4/24/08)
ISO: nothing! | IHA: small fitteds, small & med wool

Last edited by kezoo; 01-04-2009 at 11:47 AM.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #25
jraejohnson's Avatar
jraejohnson
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: florida
Posts: 2,391
My Mood:
Re: supplimenting RAW goats milk

i'm certainly not saying that your choice isn't what is right for you, but I wouldn't give my child raw milk or milk products until they were older. Beneficial bacteria, etc aside, it is too risky imo. annually there are many cases of ecoli 1057 that result in death or severe sickness requiring hospitalization from unpasterized food products. but on the other end of the spectrum 08' has been a hell of a year for food contaminations however, knowing possible (maybe even unlikely risks) I still don't think I would feel safe feeding my child raw milk.
__________________
jessica SAHM to brandon 10, jacob 8, olivia 7, adrian 5, and peyton 4, charlotte 1. and Judah 4 months
jraejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:37 PM   #26
kezoo's Avatar
kezoo
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 8,031
My Mood:
Re: supplimenting RAW goats milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraejohnson View Post
i'm certainly not saying that your choice isn't what is right for you, but I wouldn't give my child raw milk or milk products until they were older. Beneficial bacteria, etc aside, it is too risky imo. annually there are many cases of ecoli 1057 that result in death or severe sickness requiring hospitalization from unpasterized food products. but on the other end of the spectrum 08' has been a hell of a year for food contaminations however, knowing possible (maybe even unlikely risks) I still don't think I would feel safe feeding my child raw milk.
Do you have numbers for the "many cases" of e-coli infection from raw dairy products? Because IIRC, the numbere of cases of e-coli from beef, spinach, green onions, etc. are MILES ahead of any cases from raw dairy... and this is why I said you need to know your farmer and ask to see his testing logs - I'm not advocating getting milk from any old random road side farmer LOL.
__________________
Kerry
Mama to Gavin (3/26/03) , Claire (6/14/05) and Oliver (hb 4/24/08)
ISO: nothing! | IHA: small fitteds, small & med wool
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #27
utvol3
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: upstate NY...it's snowing!
Posts: 583
My Mood:
Re: supplimenting RAW goats milk

That's kind of what I was wondering about too, e-coli. I am a germaphobe though! I do know a boy who was raised, maybe even saved by, goat's milk. He was too allergic for anything else, even Rx formula. I have no idea if it was raw or not.
I guess you just gotta go with your gut on things like this. After the recent melanmine thing, more moms might even consider it.
I would want to be really sure of the source though, like the PP said I might even be making some unnanounced visits to the ole' milking parlor!
I have known more than 1 infant that has contracted e coli from expressed breast milk, so, I guess as long as the source is clean it is really no different...
Off to compulsively wash my hands again!
utvol3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #28
eragsdale's Avatar
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: keller, Texas
Posts: 5,742
My Mood:
Re: supplimenting RAW goats milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraejohnson View Post
i didn't read the whole thread and do not profess to know everything, but with my son's serve allergies to cow's milk and soy. our pediatric allergist said absolutely NO goat's milk or milk from any mammal. he is allergic to beef/lamb, dairy, wheat, tree nuts, eggs
"A milk allergy occurs when the immune system mistakenly sees the milk protein as something the body should fight off. This starts an allergic reaction, which can cause an infant to be fussy and irritable, and cause an upset stomach and other symptoms. Most kids who are allergic to cow's milk also react to goat's milk and sheep's milk, and some of them are also allergic to the protein in soy milk"
http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical...k_allergy.html
your son sounds like what my oldest had which is MSPI (Milk and Soy Protein Intolerance) plus other allergies that could mean that he has any enzyme issue maybe.

Ds#2 doesn't have this and he IS getting breastmilk. I only have to supplement with______(fill in the blank) 3 times in a 24hr period.



Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
Same here, but RAW, not pasteurized. Only as a supplement, though, not as a full replacement for bm. We drink raw cow's milk only - no gross pasteurized stuff at our house - so IMO, the key to being able to digest another animal's milk is to keep it raw, so the active enzymes & good bacteria in the milk can help your body digest it and use all the good nutrition in the milk. I have problems digesting pasteurized milk (lactose intolerance), but I can drink gallons of raw milk without problem. Also, my dd has a sensitivity to past. milk (eczema) that was solved by switching to raw; ods' eczema went away, and dh's asthma is better. My youngest baby is the only one that has been exposed (through my milk) to raw milk from birth (we switched when dd was 5 months old) and he is also the only one not to have skin problems. Any website that talks about milk from another species is usually referring to pasteurized milk (unless they specifically say otherwise), so I would take that website's info with a grain of salt, as IMO past. milk is not good for you.

Good luck mama, let us know how it goes.

We have a local farm near us that sells raw cows milk that i am wanting to try. Our oldest ds STILL hasn't passed as cows milk study, but has not had a reaction to the raw goat's milk. Also we had tried him on the MEYENBERG goats milk and he didn't like the taste; it kinda reminds me of lactose free milk (sweet).

I am encouraged, by what you have said though. I too have lactose intolerance, and until recently have just suffered through it.

I have given him ds#2 the raw goat's milk 4 times now and I have started to drink it as well in replacement of the cows milk, and he HAS gotten better, there hasn't been ANY wheezing all day and he is actually sleeping more soundly through his naps as well.
__________________
DanielP:04-10-07 ASPERGERS~DouglasG:07-18-08 AUTISTIC~11-12-09
IsaBella:11-03-10 EC (EGID)~12-04-11~02-07-12
ISO-girl: 5t/5yr fall/winter clothes, boys: 6yr lined wind pants, 12yr snap jeans
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:19 PM   #29
eragsdale's Avatar
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: keller, Texas
Posts: 5,742
My Mood:
Re: supplimenting RAW goats milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utvol3 View Post
That's kind of what I was wondering about too, e-coli. I am a germaphobe though! I do know a boy who was raised, maybe even saved by, goat's milk. He was too allergic for anything else, even Rx formula. I have no idea if it was raw or not.
I guess you just gotta go with your gut on things like this. After the recent melanmine thing, more moms might even consider it.
I would want to be really sure of the source though, like the PP said I might even be making some unnanounced visits to the ole' milking parlor!
I have known more than 1 infant that has contracted e coli from expressed breast milk, so, I guess as long as the source is clean it is really no different...
Off to compulsively wash my hands again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
Do you have numbers for the "many cases" of e-coli infection from raw dairy products? Because IIRC, the numbere of cases of e-coli from beef, spinach, green onions, etc. are MILES ahead of any cases from raw dairy... and this is why I said you need to know your farmer and ask to see his testing logs - I'm not advocating getting milk from any old random road side farmer LOL.
yes, we know the farmer that we got this supply from and then there are two other farmers in the metro-plex; that we have been talking to.
__________________
DanielP:04-10-07 ASPERGERS~DouglasG:07-18-08 AUTISTIC~11-12-09
IsaBella:11-03-10 EC (EGID)~12-04-11~02-07-12
ISO-girl: 5t/5yr fall/winter clothes, boys: 6yr lined wind pants, 12yr snap jeans
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.