Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Lovemy4guys
Registered Users

My Mood:
Cost of beating thrush?

Hi, there. DS #3 and I seem to have a case of thrush. We tried gentian violet for 3 days, twice a day, with no noticeable change. Started nystatin yesterday- orally for DS and ointment for my breasts. The pediatrician prescribed for both of us, and also gave me a single 150mg dose of fluconazole. Now, after reading around a bit more online, it seems this may not be even close to enough. We have insurance, and the single dose of fluconazole was $10. From what I've read, some women have to take it twice a day for 2-3 weeks to get rid of the thrush. Holy cow! We don't have the $ to do that..So, my question is, how much did you spend on prescriptions to get rid of your thrush? What worked for you?

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cost of beating thrush?

I'm not an expert or anything, and I have never had a "full blown" case of thrush. I am super sensitive to my body and if I feel the slightest bit ew, "yeasty" ie itchy skin, different taste in my mouth, I cut off on the sweets and pasta and eat low-sugar yogurt twice a day. This always knocks those yeast guys down in a couple of days. It wouldnt hurt to give it a shot- it might boost what your meds are doing so you don't need as much.
ingodslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
Lovemy4guys
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the tip. What brand of yogurt do you use? Just in the dairy case at the supermarket?
Old 10-09-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
assistantcoach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just had this 2 months ago with my 8th kiddo. I know you tried the gentian violet but you might want to give it a try again. Using it for at least a week. Apply it once a day at night before bed to your n*pples. No need to put it in baby's mouth too. BTW, you can have it but baby might not necessarily. Also, take some sort of probiotic at the same time and garlic doesn't hurt either. Eating plain yogurt and using it on baby's bum if he/she has a rash too.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask more questions.

Bless you,

Maria
assistantcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

$500 and it never fully went away until we weaned at 3 months due to pain. My son did have it too and I have no idea if he hurt like I did but I was in tears with every feeding. Sorry I don't have anything positive to share. I tried it all as I so badly wanted nursing to work.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Sandie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Re: Cost of beating thrush?

HI!,
I beat thrush by eating alot of light yogurt and using gentian violet...
I swabbed babies mouth, my breasts and babies tush with the gentian violet. It was quite comical to my husband and family. We all had purple on us it was very funny. I have had this 3 times and was able to get rid of it like that. I also laundered all my intimate clothing and the babies cloth dipes on the sanitary cycle of my washer. I hope you can get relief very soon it was horrible for me. I had to bite on a washcloth while nursing and boy did I cry...
Sandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
reagansmom05
Registered Users
seller

this thread isnt making me very hopeful.....i've been using GV for like 2 weeks off and on, and have been really good about using it 3x a day for the past 3 days and last night was the worst night in over a week. maybe if it isnt gone by monday i should call my dr.
the best advice ive gotten from people? "maybe this means its time to stop nursing" stfu!
Anna, sahm to THREE boys [Reagan 4/25/05 & Hunter 7/17/07 & Logan 12/22/09 ] & one lost bean 2/15/09, Air Force Wife & SAHM. i love free gift cards from SWAGBUCKS!! EBATES and CloudCrowd and CASHBAQis where I earn paypal!! easy paid emails!!
reagansmom05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #8
amyrenee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nystatin didn't work well for us either... we never tried venetian violet. My Doc told me to eat a lot of yogurt since it is a type of yeast infection. I bought a big bottle of Kefir (yogurt smoothie) and drank A LOT of it. Do you have the Nystatin ointment or is it the liquid medicine? I had the liquid and put it on my nips after every nursing.

I hope it gets better mama Thrush is a KILLER!
amyrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
Lovemy4guys
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the replies, mamas. I think I'll try adding acidophilus to yogurt every day and see if that combined with the meds can kick this thing. I so badly want to continue breastfeeding, but I'm getting freaked out at the thought of us spending the next 9-10+ months spreading thrush back and forth. Probably just need to stop obsessing over it and see if the meds and probiotics work. Ugh! Stupid thrush.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #10
assistantcoach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It got worse for me about 4-5 days into the treatment but then gradually started to lessen and finally heal.

Here is a link with great info... http://www.kellymom.com/newman/06gentian_violet.html .
assistantcoach is offline   Reply With Quote