Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #31
Rachel_lea3737
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Thinking about homeschooling

I've been thinking about homeschooling my children as well ( my oldest is only 2 so I have a lot of time to decide) all of you ladies have given a lot of good information I'm so happy I found this thread

Advertisement

Rachel_lea3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #32
NancyKraz
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Thinking about homeschooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggierbard9 View Post
Socialization is pretty much #1 on the list of what people point to as a con of homeschooling. If public school parents are honest with themselves the only socializing that should be happening at school is lunch time and recess...if a child socializes in the classroom they get in trouble. I know people who attended public/private school and they are socially awkward, at best.

My children get plenty of opportunities to socialize with people of all ages...homeschool coop, sunday school, church, home with family, neighbors, out in public at stores/library/park, soccer team, Mom's Bible Study that has classes for kids, etc.

Pros:
Can customize the curriculum to each child, and grade level doesn't have to be equal across all subjects
Focus on Biblical Foundation/Worldview
Family is #1
Better relationship for us as parents with children as well as for siblings
Flexibility for family vacations/illness/spur of the moment activities
Along the flexibility lines, can school year round so we can take vacations when it is cheaper/not peak times
One-on-one focus
Opportunities to explore what interests our children at any specific time.
Can teach my child who has SPD in a way that works for him and he isn't "labeled" the bad kid in school because of his needs.
Better educational opportunities than our public schools or even private schools can offer in our area.

Cons:
Some days are just tough
The house is never "perfect" but it is lived in
Financial strain if 2 incomes is ideal for your specific family

I know there are more pros and cons on my list, but this is all I can think of right now. If I think of more, I will add them.
Great Pros and Cons. Home schooling is certainly not right for every family and many things have to be considered before taking that plunge.
NancyKraz is offline   Reply With Quote