Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #321
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: November Chicken Chat Thread~~~Join in!~~~

I'm melting!! Awwwww! Thanks for the pic.

So I found out who keeps laying the identical to cochins eggs!!! It's for sure the rsl!

Could the yellow chicks be hers? How am I getting all these yellows? The legs are feathered, just not the middle toe. The only other light hen is the light brhama. the splash is not laying.

Thoughts PLEASE!!! RSL?

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #322
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's possible Sarah, what breed is the roo that is fertilizing your eggs? RSL chicks are usually yellowish. I know the males are lighter and females are darker redish.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #323
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

RSL= red sexlink? I saw a blog about someone breeding theirs out (think they posted somewhere on BYC too) and the red doesn't breed true. They come out with more and more white as you breed them out. It's possible it's the RSL but it's also possible it's the EE mix or your brahma. What's the comb type and body type? Color of feet?
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #324
Bekki
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Oops I guess it didn't copy right, yes that's what I meant. They need to huddle to keep warm at night in winter. This is the correct link:

http://www.brinsea.com/prod-EcoGlow_...ooder-239.aspx
We have the EcoGlow! It's *awesome*! And no more worried about our house burning down in the middle of the night (phew!).

My chicks have put on a LOT of feathers since swapping the heat lamp out for this. They all sleep under it at night, but they play out in the cool basement during the day.

Now I turn it off during the day.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #325
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
I had a spare wet/dry heating pad, so popped it in there just now. When it warms up, I will place him on it.

Worried about the lack of weight gain, so yeah will look into hand feeding the lil one.

Thanks everyone.

Love hearing the updates, I am so excited for all the good news. Praying for the littles!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #326
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
Goodmorning! Well, it will be after I can chug down a few cups of coffee. I am so tired! Here's the littles, sorry about the quality of the pic, they're still very sleepy and uncooperative. The last three look so similar, I can't even tell which other one was Lacy's. One looks an awful lot like Fred did as a chick. Should be interesting to see how they feather in!

So my hatch was
1 clear/infertile
1 waterlogged baby, wrong end pip, narrow egg and blood loss
4 healthy/normal

and with no malformations or other issues so I think that's pretty good for a first time. Next time I'll be more selective about the eggs I choose for hatching and hopefully the turnout will be better.
Oh happy day! On our first time we had ZERO hatch, so yeah, you did good!

We didn't have the humidity right. The second time we tried, we corrected that mistake and we had 100% hatch rate. It is so much fun hatching, yet completely stressful too. Happy Brooding!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #327
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumstoppers
Hmm I wonder if I can find that episode on Netflix. Hoarders is an obbession of mine.

Makes me feel normal about my fabric
When I watch that show it makes me feel 100% functional, perfect housewife, lol. I KNOW I'm not, but still....

I am not sure it is in the best interest for ppl to go on that show, but I can't help that.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #328
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen6 View Post
It's possible Sarah, what breed is the roo that is fertilizing your eggs? RSL chicks are usually yellowish. I know the males are lighter and females are darker redish.
The roo is a huge standard blk cochin. The chicks are showing a clp tiny pale blk splotches. Hard to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
RSL= red sexlink? I saw a blog about someone breeding theirs out (think they posted somewhere on BYC too) and the red doesn't breed true. They come out with more and more white as you breed them out. It's possible it's the RSL but it's also possible it's the EE mix or your brahma. What's the comb type and body type? Color of feet?
The ee mix girls turned out to be roos and the roo we had that was sold to me as an ee had no muffs or facial feathering at all. I do have some of his chicks in the grow out pen, but nothing close to lay time. I guess it could be the brahma?? but wouldn't they have nicer feather legs and toes? I have no clue till they feather in. I hate that wait, lol. The combs are just single and uber tiny. can't see for the fluff. Yellow feet. Actually they do have nicely feathered legs, just not the middle toe. A slightly curved beak. The face and legs are all nice and yellow, bright. I looked at the little wing feathers and they are coming out all white from what I could see. One had a blk or grey pin in one wing. Hard to tell only being day-2 days old. I'll take close pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resellmybelle View Post
I had a spare wet/dry heating pad, so popped it in there just now. When it warms up, I will place him on it.

Worried about the lack of weight gain, so yeah will look into hand feeding the lil one.

Thanks everyone.

Love hearing the updates, I am so excited for all the good news. Praying for the littles!
Great you had one. I hope he likes it as much as mine do. it was a good option for me. Don't have a lot to spend. The hand feeding mix has excelent vitamins in it. If you can't spend the money atm, pop his chick starter in the coffee grinder and make a powder. Works excelent! Have you hand fed before? I can walk you through it if you'd like?
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 11-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #329
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Speaking of the hoarders!!!.....That dude that traded me the brahma, br's, and cochins was one. What's worst was the chicken hoarding. I can only immagine the house. He said the bators stayed full cause he constantly ordered eggs on ebay. Plus he had his chickens in tiny pens for breeding. I swear prob 200+ pens. Each pen had a min of 5 in it and a max of 10 depending on size. Some pens were like rabbit cages, a cpl were couch size. No room to move in some. 3"+ poo in the bottom of them. No water, sludge for water. the house was so bad they had to keep the door open. I know it's a real mental illness, but this involved so many animals. I have no clue how many cats. A cpl of the br's were ate by the cats before we got them. They looked all mangy. I sure hope the sherrif's took them. At least most of them!
Old 11-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #330
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
The roo is a huge standard blk cochin. The chicks are showing a clp tiny pale blk splotches. Hard to see.

The ee mix girls turned out to be roos and the roo we had that was sold to me as an ee had no muffs or facial feathering at all. I do have some of his chicks in the grow out pen, but nothing close to lay time. I guess it could be the brahma?? but wouldn't they have nicer feather legs and toes? I have no clue till they feather in. I hate that wait, lol. The combs are just single and uber tiny. can't see for the fluff. Yellow feet. Actually they do have nicely feathered legs, just not the middle toe. A slightly curved beak. The face and legs are all nice and yellow, bright. I looked at the little wing feathers and they are coming out all white from what I could see. One had a blk or grey pin in one wing. Hard to tell only being day-2 days old. I'll take close pics.

Great you had one. I hope he likes it as much as mine do. it was a good option for me. Don't have a lot to spend. The hand feeding mix has excelent vitamins in it. If you can't spend the money atm, pop his chick starter in the coffee grinder and make a powder. Works excelent! Have you hand fed before? I can walk you through it if you'd like?
Is it the same way you do doves? I have hand fed doves with a syringe, just got the mixture wet sucked it up and fed them thru the syringe.