Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
caseopia67
Registered Users
seller

Rough prefolds?

Is it normal for prefolds to feel rough and pilly over time? We have been using GMD unbleached reds (seconds quality, if that makes a difference). To wash, I do a cold rinse, sanitary cycle with Tide Free and Gentle liquid (sometimes bleach), warm short cycle and tumble dry. I have been using seventh generation fabric softener and it helps a lot, as does using a fabric shaver to remove pills. However, they are still pretty rough, not nearly as soft as when they were new. I occasionally get detergent build up with my HE front loader, and stripping doesn't help with softness.

Is it normal, or something with the brand, wash routine, something else? We are about to size up so I ordered some Diaper Rites to try. I'd like to keep them soft and fluffy if I can!!

Thanks

Advertisement

caseopia67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rough prefolds?

You have a great wash routine. I as well, use softner and it helps tons. I don't know my brands, but we have some basic toddler dss pf's like this. hey don't really pill, just not as soft as all the others. They all still look new though. I have one from ffs that is just beyond soft and quilted and is blue edged. I have others that are identical, but arn't as soft and don't quilt like this one. It's so quilted, it looks like a real quilt weith the little sewn squares. I really want to know the brand. If I knew, I would sooo recomend it! It's actually the softest one we own! Sorry I'm not more helpfull.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
dreamgirl
Registered Users

You can use softener on prefolds??!

Mine are very rough and pilled. I've used a sweater shaver once already. I have Nicki's unbleached prefolds.

I have to hang mine to dry and that's making them even more rough.
dreamgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
caseopia67
Registered Users
seller

I'm glad it's not just me, but interesting that some seem to be softer than others... I wonder why??

It is my understanding that it's ok to use a plant-based fabric softener on them. I've used Ecover, Mrs. Meyers, and settled on seventh generation because it comes in unscented which I prefer.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
mariamommy
Registered Users
seller

That seems odd, maybe you just got a rougher and less smooth batch of cotton when it was harvested/processed.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl View Post
You can use softener on prefolds??!

Mine are very rough and pilled. I've used a sweater shaver once already. I have Nicki's unbleached prefolds.

I have to hang mine to dry and that's making them even more rough.
This is an extreamly debated subject. I tried the plant based oil softener and it just was kinda uhhh.. for me. I use snuggle exhilerations wild orchid and vanilla. Purex is also great. it's ultra, yet still wattery. Not thick and cakey like downey. I have used it on my natural fibers for years, since 6 mnths after I started cd'ing. I havn't had any change in absorbtion or buildup. No smell ever, nothing. It's just like the bleach for me. I have used it since the start and no issues. The softner is a huge nono for non-natural materials, such as pockets and mf. Although i have a mf insert that's in my natural rotation for nights and has had softner in every load for about 5 months (prob more) and has no issues. it works for us is all I'm saying.

If you are too worried about absorbtion or buildup, the natural plant oil base softners are "cd safe". I have a bottle of method's one and need to use it before it goes bad, lol. I just love my snuggle.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89

Last edited by sarahannecloud9; 01-17-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
caseopia67
Registered Users
seller

So that's one maybe, one yes, and one no... Hmmm, lol! Anyone else want to weigh in?

Sarah, you really use snuggle with no absorbency issues?? Does it work a lot better than the natural softeners? I dont know if I'm brave enough to try it!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseopia67 View Post
So that's one maybe, one yes, and one no... Hmmm, lol! Anyone else want to weigh in?

Sarah, you really use snuggle with no absorbency issues?? Does it work a lot better than the natural softeners? I dont know if I'm brave enough to try it!
I'm going on almost 7 years now of cd'ing. I have changed softners over the years. But yes, I like the snuggle because it's not like the thick/stickey downey stuff. I've never even seen any residue in the dispencer. I have 0% change in the dipes. It's a world of difference from my natural stuff. That's why the natural has been sitting for so long.
I could understand, perhaps, with the really thick softner. I really don't get all the talk of issues with natural fiber dipes and softner. I just have never had a problem. I even have some of the original dipes I started with still in our current rotation. Perhaps it has something to do with my harsh washing routine? Who knows for sure. Unless nobody elese will admit to using it? I just have no explanation. As a matter of fact, I got out my flats Cayden worn for quite a while as well as William and tried them out a month or so back. They are a loose weave gauze, so they look kinda delicate. They just barely fit William, but function was still tiptop. These are very old dipes, prob from the 50's. They have also been bleached every wash. Don't most of us use softner on our towels? Do our towels stop absorbing? Mine are better the older they get. I think if you have a perfect wash routine with no problems, it would be fine. I don't suggest it to other momas because many momas already have underlying issues, like repelling/buildup/odor, ect. I just wouldn't want to make those problems worse or get the blame for them, kwim. I'm just saying that it works for us. Always has and with no issues. My natural fiber dipes have never been striped either.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
Housefullofgirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't use softner but I own a lot of prefolds with none that I'm currently using are rough. The only ones I own that are like butter are imagine yellow ub and GMD ub reds. The rest are soft but not butter. The only ones that I have that are rough and pilled are ones I bought off fsot this way for future use they are large imagine organic.

I washed about 10 pf's with flannel wipes last week and that was a BIG mistake. Those got slightly pilly just a little. That was just 1 wash though. I can see they would get way more pilly if I continued to wash them with these wipes. So not sure if your washing your pf's with other things that maybe helping along the rough/pills.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
caseopia67
Registered Users
seller

I wash my prefolds with wipes and sbish snapless fitteds, and a few fleece liners. The wipes are cheap gerber washcloths that have been in use for 18 months so I doubt they are shedding anymore. I usually have wool dryer balls and a few dry towels in the dryer with them. Maybe it's the towels?