Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2016, 08:01 AM   #1
BusyPAMommy
Registered Users
seller

What are your top 2 or 3 minimizing projects?

Tops on my list:

1. My clothes. I need to commit to not buying new stuff and do a major purge. This is a big weakness on my part that threatens our budget. Trying to turn a new leaf. Drawing inspiration from this article I found: http://recoveringshopaholic.com/read...arge-wardrobe/

2. Kids' dishes. We have a low cupboard they can reach but it is stuffed with assorted plastic dishware, souvenir cups and water bottles, unused sippy cups. We reach in to grab something and everything falls over or spills out. Most plastic I won't put in dishwasher so this stuff generates extra hand washing work. At 4.5 and 7.5 they are old enough to use regular dishes, so my goal is to purge the plastic and just have a simple set of sturdy smaller dishes and regular utensils that they can grab themselves when it's time to set the table.

3. Basement/garage

What are your "problem areas?"

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
My sewing stuff. Hands down.

ETA- the other major problem areas aren't mine to purge so I just have to accept them

Last edited by Fashionably Green Baby; 10-30-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #3
BusyPAMommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: What are your top 2 or 3 minimizing projects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionably Green Baby View Post
ETA- the other major problem areas aren't mine to purge so I just have to accept them
That's a big part of the problem with #3 on my list but I think (hope) that with some dedicated time and support I could get DH to tackle his basement piles. It's finding the time to do it that is tough
Old 10-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
mamaberkhie
Registered Users
Formerly: 3L*****B*****s
seller
seller

It's so frustrating when a major problem area isn't your responsibility. We have that issue here as well.

Besides that, the kids' art, papers, and school "stuff"are becoming an issue and toys need some attention too.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

I'm reading The 5 Love Languages. Last night, I think it opened my eyes to seeing my husbands love language is gifts and mine is services. "My" stuff is paired down. "His" stuff is...um...very abundant. Now I'm not sure it'll ever be tackled.

Areas I have to work on:

1. Diapers

2. Beads. My girls have picked up on this, so it's even harder to downsize.

3. ???? I'll have to think on this. Maybe our homeschool stuff. It's hard though, because I have a large range in grade levels, and for us, it just comes with a lot of "stuff".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

1. Garage

2. Linen closet

3. and more garage
kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsaremyheart
I'm reading The 5 Love Languages. Last night, I think it opened my eyes to seeing my husbands love language is gifts and mine is services. "My" stuff is paired down. "His" stuff is...um...very abundant. Now I'm not sure it'll ever be tackled. Areas I have to work on: 1. Diapers 2. Beads. My girls have picked up on this, so it's even harder to downsize. 3. ???? I'll have to think on this. Maybe our homeschool stuff. It's hard though, because I have a large range in grade levels, and for us, it just comes with a lot of "stuff". Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really enjoyed that book. I read it several years ago. My love language is words of affirmation as well of acts of service. I am definitely not a "stuff" person.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

What are your top 2 or 3 minimizing projects?

Last edited by mykidsaremyheart; 12-05-2016 at 12:38 AM.
mykidsaremyheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:21 PM   #9
abh5e8
Registered Users

1. Basement. I've decided to turn my "junk room" into a craft and Lego room for the kids. No way I need an entire room for junk and storage. I think by the room having a dedicated purpose, it will prevent me from dumping stuff there "to deal with later," as has been my pattern. I still have a small unfinished area for storage and dh is putting up shelves in the garage, which will be more then enough space.

2. Garage

3. My clothes. Baby brother is 8 weeks, so with changing sizes my clothes are a mess.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2016, 10:13 PM   #10
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

I think I just took one step forward and two steps back. I am sewing ANOTHER Diaper. And 4 of my girls were beading today. Lol!

On the plus side I went through shoes. Kids had gotten new pairs recently and I pulled out the winter boots, put away summer shoes, and sorted for donations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk