Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #341
Lovinthe2
Registered Users
seller

Re: Green & Thrifty...Making Your Own Detergent! (recipes pg 1 & 16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateMoose View Post

I'm going to edit the dishwasher detergent post

The general consensus seems to be....use it with a commercial rinse agent...or add a little commercial powder....otherwise you get white film!

Although someone mentioned putting white vinegar in the *bottom* of the dishwasher instead of the rinse compartment and I haven't heard how that worked!

I did it!!! I used 1tsp. borax, 1tsp. baking soda, and threw some vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher. didn't measure, a couple of "glugs" and VOILA"!!! Sparkly clean dishes!!!

As a disclaimer, I have NEVER used a rinse agent, so it may have something to do with our water I've gotten the cascade complete stuff, but never added jet dry or anything to the little compartment?

Advertisement

We cd, bw, ebf, co-sleep, use all things cloth, love the Hokies, and get crunchier every day thanks to DS.
Lovinthe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #342
Meg678
Registered Users
seller

Ok...I haven't been able to read all the posts yet but what do you all use to keep your homemade detergent in?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #343
phoofy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Heh, I so was annoyed at the white powdery film from the dishwasher detergent that I looked online to see if anyone had similar experiences...

Apparently, this IS pretty common, though there isn't a consensus on what actually causes it. Some say it's the water (too hard or too soft), and you have to adjust how much washing soda and/or borax you used depending on what you have.

One thing I found interesting was that supposedly for some dishwashers, vinegar is too fine a liquid and it doesn't get released at the right time -- unlike, I guess, some commercial rinses that are more gel like? -- so if the vinegar gets dispensed too soon, then it can't do it job as the rinse agent, therefore you get the film (probably from the washing soda).

To solve my problem earlier, instead of running the dishwasher a third time with just vinegar at the bottom, I just took a large bowl from the dishwasher, put a cup each of vinegar and water, gave all the filmy dishes a quick once-over, then rinse with hot tap water. I let them air dry and they do look nice and clean now!
Old 09-04-2008, 12:34 AM   #344
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg678 View Post
Ok...I haven't been able to read all the posts yet but what do you all use to keep your homemade detergent in?
If you're asking about laundry detergent, I keep mine in a tupperware-type container.
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #345
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymommy View Post
OK I have a question?? I have been using the detergent for several washes and it seems to be getting things cleaned until dd pees in them what am I doing wrong??
please help! I was going to post in diaper chatter but things move so fast over there
What happens when she pees?

If it's a strong ammonia smell that means there is detergent in the diapers....either use less, wash with more water, or add an extra rinse.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #346
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg678 View Post
Anything airtight! I use gladlock, some mamas use glass canisters, tupperware, whatever you have on hand!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #347
fairymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateMoose View Post
What happens when she pees?

If it's a strong ammonia smell that means there is detergent in the diapers....either use less, wash with more water, or add an extra rinse.

I washed them once yesterday with the detergent and then once with out and an extra rinse so we will see.
maybe its all the stuff coming out of them??

how do you strip your washer, i have heard that this helps also. also what is calgon used for and how do you use it

thanks!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 12:43 PM   #348
Meg678
Registered Users
seller

Egads..I just read through 35 pages!! Wanted to say to chocolatemoose many many . I've never m/c'd but I lost my son a few months ago.

Next.... I can't wait to try the detergents!!! I can't try the dipe one yet b/c I don't have a lo in dipes anymore, but I'll be able to try it come december . I live in Idaho and I don't have any of those coolio stores you all talked about so I'll have to search out some washing soda. I'll try home depot first I guess and check the pool aisle.

I might have missed it in the posts but someone mentioned using ash soda, is that the same thing as washing soda or ph up?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:09 PM   #349
adensmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adensmom View Post
Using the diaper detergent on everything!

I bought a bar of Dr Bronner's to make the laundry soap with....but decided against it. I paid 3.99 for that bar!! I wanted it to go further than a dozen laundry washes or so. So this evening, I grated the bar of soap and melted the flakes in 3 12 cups of boiling water. I let it cool, and then poured it over into a bath and bodyworks foaming soap dispenser I had. oooohhhhh!!! Yummy citrus scented foaming handsoap for my kitchen sink!!! I love that stuff, but I'm too cheap to buy it regularly. I have enough left over for at least 1 refill....so that's 2 bottles of foaming handsoap for 3.99! ***In my experience this still may be too thick for a foaming dispenser, so you may want to use a regular dispenser, or just dilute with more water***
Okay....I just edited my original post (above) but I also wanted to share an update on the handsoap recipe. USE MORE WATER! My first batch re-solidified overnight to a thick yuck and ruined my b&b foaming dispenser ! So I diluted twice more before I reached a concentration that would stay dissolved. So, I used 12 cups water (approximately) to one bar of Dr. Bronners. I still think it's too thick for a foaming dispenser, but should work fine in a regular one. If you want it to foam, I'd dilute it with even more water....maybe 1 bar to a whole gallon of water....which certainly makes it more economical!
Old 09-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #350
ChocolateMoose
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymommy View Post
I washed them once yesterday with the detergent and then once with out and an extra rinse so we will see.
maybe its all the stuff coming out of them??

how do you strip your washer, i have heard that this helps also. also what is calgon used for and how do you use it

thanks!!!
You can strip your diapers with Dawn (plain regular kind)...so I would think that would work for your machine.