Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Breastfeeding in church??

I don't think there's anything wrong with BF'ing in church. I, personally, usually sit outside in the hallway (we don't have a cry room) just because my babies have all been easily distracted and VERY noisy nurslings.

Advertisement

1blessedmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #12
PerfectFifth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My personal rule of thumb is if I wouldn't do a particular activity in the sanctuary, then baby doesn't, either. I wouldn't eat in the sanctuary, so I take DS out to nurse. That said, I wouldn't be scandalized to see another mom feeding in the sanctuary.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethan_77 View Post
That's a super long service. My dd would have nursed the whole time.
THIS.
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #14
ducky5306
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectFifth View Post
My personal rule of thumb is if I wouldn't do a particular activity in the sanctuary, then baby doesn't, either. I wouldn't eat in the sanctuary, so I take DS out to nurse. That said, I wouldn't be scandalized to see another mom feeding in the sanctuary.
Hmm but would you think/look twice at a baby quieting drinking a bottle in church?

as a PP said.. Jesus was breastfed (and cloth diapered too!)
Old 07-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #15
dimples_giggles_1009
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Our pastor has mentioned to me that I should feed my baby in the cry room is why I posted this..... I wanted to hear you guys thoughts on it. We are the youth pastors at the church... But he wouldn't say anything to Their family cause they are new, I mean I dont mind it at all cause it's what he ask me to do so I will respect it. I think if I'm going to nurse my baby in public/resturant, I should be able to do so in church...KWiM?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimples_giggles_1009
Our pastor has mentioned to me that I should feed my baby in the cry room is why I posted this..... I wanted to hear you guys thoughts on it. We are the youth pastors at the church... But he wouldn't say anything to Their family cause they are new, I mean I dont mind it at all cause it's what he ask me to do so I will respect it. I think if I'm going to nurse my baby in public/resturant, I should be able to do so in church...KWiM?
I think its incredibly rude of him to ask you and not the other mom its a double standard and wrong in my opinion. I think you should be allowed to nurse wherever and whenever you want.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #17
BooneNicuMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy View Post
I think its incredibly rude of him to ask you and not the other mom its a double standard and wrong in my opinion. I think you should be allowed to nurse wherever and whenever you want.
This
BooneNicuMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #18
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it depends on the culture of the church where you attend.

At ours, we go to the cry room, which is a comfy, quiet room with a changing table and some comfy chairs. The lights are kept off, except for a small lamp, if needed. There are 2 large, mirrored windows into the auditorium, with a speaker into the room, so we don't miss anything.

I know of other churches where it is the norm for babies to be discretely nursed in the auditorium.

I was the first at my church to wear a baby during services. It was different, and people noticed. Now, most of the babies are worn for a few months, at least, and it has become the norm. Maybe this mom's stepping out of the norms will pave the way for future moms to do the same.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #19
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I haven't, but we haven't found a church that we like in our town yet. As soon as we find a good "home" and become somewhat familiar with people, I don't think I'd have a problem. As pp's have said, it makes them quiet faster. I don't normally use a cover, mostly because dd doesn't like anything on her head, but I use a small blanket around her and it's usually not a big scene (unless SHE makes it one).
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #20
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

I think it is fine so long as it is discreet and quiet. My church has a nursing mothers room that's comfy and has the service showing on a tv. They don't allow infants in the service, so I have never needed to nurse during. I either sat in the nursing mothers room or bookstore if he was hungry during service (and when he was really little). I wouldn't nurse in service myself though because my baby is highly distractible, and I'd end up shooting milk on everyone in the row in front of me, lol.