Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
Mara'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

Pumping

I would like to start building a freezer stash for a couple of reasons

Just incase anything happens and dd needs it.

I know a few mamas who are struggling and their lo's are living off donated bm. Id love to help them and others.

And I hate wasting bm. When dd nurses from one side, the other side always has a let down!

So my question is this: how do I pump? Sorry, I've really never done this. During or after she nurses? Will this affect my supply? Is it a bad idea? And, how long is frozen bm good for?
Thanks!!!!

Advertisement

Mara'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
Wanderlust
Registered Users
Formerly: jen**eth
seller

Re: Pumping

I exclusive pumped- but I've read that mamas will pump after their little ones nurse. Pumping will probably increase your supply since your body will think your little one is eating more. You may want to try by pumping after your little one goes to sleep. Once a day should get your started on a good freezer stash.

I think it's a great idea. It's comforting knowing you have a stash in the freezer If you have a deep freeze, the BM should be good for 6 months and in a regular freezer that gets opened daily, 4 months.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
teacherchalise
Registered Users

I got a cool bra that has 2 flaps. Flap 1 comes down to expose a hole for pumping (it holds the shield on) and if you take down that flap, you can nurse. I do it simultaneously in the morning when I have a huge supply.
You can check many places for freezer life. It depends what kind of freezer you have.
teacherchalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

I like to pump while she nurses. Let down happens quickly and I seem to get more out that way. Now that she's older though, she's all grabbing at the tubing, so I can't really do it anymore.

Be sure to check your frozen bm after a couple weeks. I just found out a few days ago that I have high lipase. I've been pumping for five months and have a few hundred ounces frozen
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:

I pumped w/ DS1 for the same reason. I would only pump from the breast he didn't take at the first morning feed. I was able to have a nice freezer stash that way, and I actually was also able to make 2 100oz donations to a milk bank.

If you go thru http://www.hmbana.org/milk-bank-locations you can contact them and they will send you free Medela bags to pump into. (At least Indiana's site did 2 years ago.)

I only pumped at first morning feed for 2 reasons. 1. I was often engorged and it helped relieve the pressure. 2. I didn't want to build up too much supply.

Good luck to you!