Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
gheera47
Registered Users

Need some new potty training ideas!

My 3.5 year old is still in diapers! He'll be 4 in January. It's not like I'm new to potty training. My oldest potty trained by his 3rd bday. But he's 15 now so not much of an example to his younger brother.

With DS#2 we tried Gerber training pants, but they didn't work well for us. They are only meant for accidents, not full blown diaper containment. I was pregnant with my DD and cleaning messes was just too much. We switched to pull-ups.

Now with DD here and back into a CD routine, I switched DD#2 back into cloth so he could "feel" wet. He DOESN'T CARE! Poopy, wet, running down his legs, he only cares when the poop burns!

We talk about being a big boy. He says "I don't want to be a big boy, I'm still little". We talk about going to preschool. They won't take kids in diapers at the one we can afford. He says "I don't want to go, I want to stay with you". Most of the time he runs from me if I want check his diaper. We have to make it a race to see who can make it to the changing table first.

If I can catch him before he goes, often I can talk him into peeing in the potty. I do his when I do hers unless I can smell him first. He gets m&M's for going in the potty.

We was playing games on the tablet, but I told him no more till he's a big boy and goes #2 in the potty. He doesn't care.

He has no other delays. He can do it, like alot of other things. He just chooses not to. I know alot has to do with having a baby sister. We've tried toys, stickers, cute underwear, going nude. It seems like my only choices right now are diapers or cleaning messes on chairs, couches, carpets, clothes, etc. I prefer​ washing diapers.

Any other suggestions to spur this along? I think he would really like preschool if I could just get him there.

Advertisement

gheera47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need some new potty training ideas!

I'm not experienced at all with that sort of thing, but what about a potty timer? Set a timer for every 30 min or something and every time the timer goes, he sits on the potty for a few minutes, regardless of whether he wants to or needs to. If you can get him to go in there a few times, maybe he'll eventually realize that dry and clean feels better? I know it's a big hassle, but maybe if you try it for 2-3 days you'll learn you can cut back to every hour or every 2 hours or figure out his schedule, and maybe after a while he'll just accept that it's part of the routine.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #3
gheera47
Registered Users

We did try a timer. Before the baby and after the baby was born. The timer would go off, I'd say "time to sit on the potty" and he'd start screaming about how he didn't need to go. Now I check the baby ever two hours or as needed. I say "let's go check your sister's diaper" and he'll follow me. I do her's, then check his. If he isn't wet, we go sit on the potty. He'll usually go. I just can't get him to initiate a potty break. He only goes in the bedroom willingly because we check his sister first. If I say " let's go check your diaper" or "do you need to go potty?", It's always a fight!
Old 10-31-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With DS, we were trained to have him sit on the potty every 2h or sooner after meals, etc. He always did with no issues, because we read a book and he like doing that. I feel like he was at least 5 before he started going on his own instead of us having to remind him all the time (though we did stop reading on the potty before then). He also has mega bladder so he can get away with only going 3-4 times a day total.

DD was more stubborn so she peed on the floor more. We just kept working on it and eventually she stopped --- she also has a large bladder though.

Both kids were pretty good about initiating poops on the potty though. and since they didn't have too pee often it wasn't so bad for us.

I guess my point is that if you can get him to sit on the potty regularly do that. With or without pull ups on. Eventually it will change over.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 11-20-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
With DS, we were trained to have him sit on the potty every 2h or sooner after meals, etc. He always did with no issues, because we read a book and he like doing that. I feel like he was at least 5 before he started going on his own instead of us having to stay it all the time. He also has mega bladder so he can get away with only going 3-4 times a day total.

DS was more stubborn so she peed on the floor more. We just kept working on it and eventually she stopped --- she also has a large bladder though.

Both kids were pretty good about initiating poops on the potty though. and since they didn't have to pee often it wasn't so bad for us.

I guess my point is that if you can get him to sit on the potty regularly do that. With or without pull ups on. Eventually it will change over.
I think this is a good idea. Just do whatever it takes to make sitting on the potty enjoyable, then gradually wean him from being entertained on it, but keep it a regular part of your schedule, and not optional. Don't even ask if he has to go potty until you think you're getting it - just say "time to go potty" and don't let him have any say in the matter. You might even have to carry him to the potty and physically put him on or hold him on until he learns that it's just part of the day. This is disgusting, but we've gone so far as to have snack time on the potty, for both my kid and a babysitting kid.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:49 PM   #6
gheera47
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
This is disgusting, but we've gone so far as to have snack time on the potty, for both my kid and a babysitting kid.
That's​ funny!
Old 11-17-2017, 09:06 PM   #7
snugsboutique
Registered Users
seller

I had one of these when my son was training, it kept him on the toilet and it made it fun for him. https://pottyrider.com/products/potty-rider-motorcycle

I'm BAAACK!! Check out my new ready to ship items on my Etsy and Hyena Cart shops!
snugsboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:42 PM   #8
Helini
Registered Users
seller

That potty motorcycle seems fun. It seems like you have tried all the usual suggestions so I hope something clicks with him soon. I'm potty training my first now so I'm no expert. Everytime I took her to potty I would go first and then I tell her it's her turn. She likes copying me and is now taking herself.
Helini is offline   Reply With Quote