Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2017, 04:05 PM   #11
gheera47
Registered Users

Re: Trying to go 100% dairy free

Went to our local store today, picked up a few dairy free items. Store brand almond milk 64 oz $2.88, Silk almond yogurt (2) 5.3 oz $1.79 ea, Daiya dairy-free cheese slices 7.8 oz $4.49. A total of 82.4 oz for $10.97. Yuck! A gallon milk is $1.90, 32 oz yogurt is $1.98, and 32 oz cheese is $4.69. That's 192 oz for $8.57. That's twice as much "dairy" for less the cost! Bummer!

My husband gets paid once a month, so I usually only do "big" shopping once or twice a month. All the best priced stores are twice the distance to the local one. We'll see what they have further from home. One is a large Asian Market, they have a big selection of dairy-free.

Oh well, shouldn't complain much. At least I don't have to switch the whole family!

Advertisement

gheera47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #12
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gheera47 View Post
It's on the label. I think they use it to up the protien and as a dough conditioner, alot of times it's labeled as whey. Several of my recipes for "sandwich" bread have milk or non-fat dry milk. I think it helps make it fluffier. My bread is always dense whole grain stuff. My family likes it as a snack but voted for store bought.

If you've got a great whole grain bread recipe, I'd love to try it.
How about sourdough bread? You can make a starter with yeast that you feed with potato flakes, sugar, and water. Then you can use whole wheat flour to make the bread. My recipe for that is just a common one I think and it doesn't use dairy.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #13
gheera47
Registered Users

Just in case anyone didn't know this. Coconutmilk is a laxative! 😜 Don't drink it 3 meals a day like dairy milk!
Old 10-28-2017, 04:21 PM   #14
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Just in case anyone didn't know this. Coconutmilk is a laxative! 😜 Don't drink it 3 meals a day like dairy milk!
Oh no!
Old 11-03-2017, 12:35 AM   #15
gheera47
Registered Users

I'm a bad momma! I had Jarlesberg Swiss cheese​ yesterday. My mother inlaw brought it yesterday because she knows how much i love her turkey sandwiches with cranberry and swiss on a crosaunt. Then tonight I forgot and made my burrito with cheese. My little one has a tummy ache tonight. She keeps trying to sleep, but she screws up her face crys a little, then goes back to sleep. Bad momma! 😩
Old 11-05-2017, 06:58 AM   #16
Lindobebe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I grew up vegan so its easy for me to do vegan cooking ect since I do not even like cheese or milk. There is a very simple cheese sauce we all love made out of cashews you can put over about anything pasta, patatos, veggies ect. Taco salads are very tasty and easy to do dary free. I have vengan cookbooks but you can also find great recipes online I google recipes all the time
Old 11-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #17
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindobebe View Post
I grew up vegan so its easy for me to do vegan cooking ect since I do not even like cheese or milk. There is a very simple cheese sauce we all love made out of cashews you can put over about anything pasta, patatos, veggies ect. Taco salads are very tasty and easy to do dary free. I have vengan cookbooks but you can also find great recipes online I google recipes all the time
I like looking at vegan cookbooks because they give me ideas and options I might not have considered.

Quote:
I'm a bad momma! I had Jarlesberg Swiss cheese​ yesterday. My mother inlaw brought it yesterday because she knows how much i love her turkey sandwiches with cranberry and swiss on a crosaunt. Then tonight I forgot and made my burrito with cheese. My little one has a tummy ache tonight. She keeps trying to sleep, but she screws up her face crys a little, then goes back to sleep. Bad momma! 😩
I've been going mostly dairy free for a long time and I occasionally have the mishap/slip. Don't be too hard on yourself.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #18
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mamallama- tried the bread recipe and really liked it. Made 1/2 a batch. Yummy
Old 11-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #19
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Mamallama- tried the bread recipe and really liked it. Made 1/2 a batch. Yummy
Oh good! I made some today too. My kids all think there's nothing to eat if we're out of bread...and then they're "starving" all day long.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:02 PM   #20
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
Oh good! I made some today too. My kids all think there's nothing to eat if we're out of bread...and then they're "starving" all day long.
One loaf gone already. My dh loved it and wanted to make sure I told you that. I think he's making me type of out so I remember to make it again.