Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: My new favorite kitchen gadget: Instant Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsaremyheart View Post
I haven't tried pressure cooking beans yet. That's good to know they don't taste the same. Maybe it has a different taste with the stainless steel?
I add salt and garlic to the beginning of the cooking process. An onion is also good to add except my husband is allergic to onions. This really adds to the flavor of the beans. With the quick cooking of the pressure cooker the beans just didn't have the time to absorb the flavors. Or maybe the flavor of the garlic didn't have time to spread through the liquid that the beans absorbed, not sure which it was. Either way this meant bland unsalted beans. I am accustomed to much more flavor in my beans. We used the beans because I didn't want to waste them but never again used it as a pressure cooker to cook my beans. I do use it a lot but like I said I use it as a large pot to make 5 gallons of chili or spaghetti sauce or other things.

Contrary to popular warnings salt does not make tough beans. Tomatoes do though.

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #12
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think my mom liked a pressure cooker because it was fast. She still works and coming home to watch a pot of beans has never been her thing.

It takes about 30-35 minutes to cook dry beans. It various according to the type of bean.

We are on a Dash diet in support of my dh so that is why I looked at this pot. The diet is a low/no salt. It's been working and his blood pressure has steadily dropped since we started.

This is the biggest size I believe.

I've been making a batch every couple of days and then using them in other recipes. This gives me something on hand for lunch too. I put it on and walk away. When the pressure valve drops it is safe to open the pot.

I still prefer a slow simmered pot of beans but I have grown to love the convenience.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #13
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
I think my mom liked a pressure cooker because it was fast. She still works and coming home to watch a pot of beans has never been her thing.

It takes about 30-35 minutes to cook dry beans. It various according to the type of bean.

We are on a Dash diet in support of my dh so that is why I looked at this pot. The diet is a low/no salt. It's been working and his blood pressure has steadily dropped since we started.

This is the biggest size I believe.

I've been making a batch every couple of days and then using them in other recipes. This gives me something on hand for lunch too. I put it on and walk away. When the pressure valve drops it is safe to open the pot.

I still prefer a slow simmered pot of beans but I have grown to love the convenience.
I can definitely appreciate the time benefit of it, especially when working. Since I am home it isn't an inconvenience for me to wait for the longer method.

I have high blood pressure. I think I am going to look into the DASH diet myself. Especially if it means I don't have to give up my beans. So many diets seem to recommend low carb which means no beans. Like I don't think so!
Old 10-10-2014, 12:56 PM   #14
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I can definitely appreciate the time benefit of it, especially when working. Since I am home it isn't an inconvenience for me to wait for the longer method.

I have high blood pressure. I think I am going to look into the DASH diet myself. Especially if it means I don't have to give up my beans. So many diets seem to recommend low carb which means no beans. Like I don't think so!
My husband will do anything to avoid medication. They gave him three months to lower it on his own with diet. He also increased exercise.

I actually think you would do well on the Dash since you cook. You avoid most prepackaged foods, so lots from scratch cooking. So you need to get creative with your herbs and spices to make things taste good. I could easily see someone who is not comfortable in a kitchen having a hard time figuring things out.

I told him he ruined my life. Lol. I really like salt. It's is my weakness. I don't do sweets but salty/savory is my thing. I'm adjusting slowly. It's been keeping me super busy in the kitchen though.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #15
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
My husband will do anything to avoid medication. They gave him three months to lower it on his own with diet. He also increased exercise.

I actually think you would do well on the Dash since you cook. You avoid most prepackaged foods, so lots from scratch cooking. So you need to get creative with your herbs and spices to make things taste good. I could easily see someone who is not comfortable in a kitchen having a hard time figuring things out.

I told him he ruined my life. Lol. I really like salt. It's is my weakness. I don't do sweets but salty/savory is my thing. I'm adjusting slowly. It's been keeping me super busy in the kitchen though.
I think your right. It would be not too hard for me. I am not huge on salt either so that won't be much of a change for me to lower it further. Everyone has to add salt to their foods anyway as I salt to my taste figuring I cannot remove salt but they can add it. I have plenty of spices to work with. At last count I think I have 40+. Would you believe it? I still run across recipes for which I don't have all the spices?

The exercising would be the change. I am not big on it. I need to be though.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #16
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I think your right. It would be not too hard for me. I am not huge on salt either so that won't be much of a change for me to lower it further. Everyone has to add salt to their foods anyway as I salt to my taste figuring I cannot remove salt but they can add it. I have plenty of spices to work with. At last count I think I have 40+. Would you believe it? I still run across recipes for which I don't have all the spices?

The exercising would be the change. I am not big on it. I need to be though.
I'm afraid to count. 40+ doesn't sound unreasonable.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:22 PM   #17
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

I've been drooling over this since you posted. I have it on my wish list. I see it cooks rice. Did you try that yet? We use a rice cooker often, it would be nice if this replaces ours.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #18
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsaremyheart View Post
I've been drooling over this since you posted. I have it on my wish list. I see it cooks rice. Did you try that yet? We use a rice cooker often, it would be nice if this replaces ours.
I've been wanting to do a comparison. I'll try it on Monday. I'd do it sooner but I know I have crazy weekend ahead of me.

I want to try the rice option the slow cooker.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #19
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I've been wanting to do a comparison. I'll try it on Monday. I'd do it sooner but I know I have crazy weekend ahead of me.

I want to try the rice option the slow cooker.

No rush! I'd love to hear how it cooks, when you do try it. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #20
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

No problem.

It was a bit spendy for us and I know I looked at everything I could find online before buying it.

There as a funny video of a woman making chicken stock in it. I was also nervous when I used it the first time so her fumbling made me feel normal.

I love my immersion blender. Mine was white and I turned it yellow when I blended something with curry in it.

My friends swear by a European one they paid a few hundred dollars for.