Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2018, 06:20 AM   #1
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
POTLUCK FAVORITES Thread

I need to mix it up or at least expand my repertoire.

What do you usually bring to a potluck?

What have you eaten at a potluck that you've really liked but maybe don't have a recipe for?

Please & Thank you!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 09-15-2018, 06:33 AM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: POTLUCK FAVORITES Thread

I almost always bring homemade rolls and homemade cinnamon rolls. The rest is variable, but usually a big bowl of fresh fruit, maybe a crock pot of veggies, and some sort of meat dish or casserole.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

I ate the best potato dish ever at my aunt's house back at Easter. I will try to get the recipe.

I always like to take something not so casserolie. Not everyone likes casseroles, but that's the most common thing to bring.

So maybe steamed vegetables, or a big bowl of those fresh green beans sautéed in olive oil and seasoned.

I also do favorites like corn casserole, sweet potatoes mashed and baked, that kind of thing.
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Taco salad. Enough said.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Taco salad. Enough said.

Yum. You have just inspired me.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:41 PM   #6
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I almost always bring homemade rolls and homemade cinnamon rolls. The rest is variable, but usually a big bowl of fresh fruit, maybe a crock pot of veggies, and some sort of meat dish or casserole.
Our cinnamon roll recipe is so time consuming. Do you usually warm them there or bring them warm? I never thought of rolls. My friend always used to make the bread/rolls but since I'm at a new parish I could do it now.

Which reminded me that my starter needs to be fed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
I ate the best potato dish ever at my aunt's house back at Easter. I will try to get the recipe.

I always like to take something not so casserolie. Not everyone likes casseroles, but that's the most common thing to bring.

So maybe steamed vegetables, or a big bowl of those fresh green beans sautéed in olive oil and seasoned.

I also do favorites like corn casserole, sweet potatoes mashed and baked, that kind of thing.
I like the idea of bringing non casserole type dishes. It mixes things up. My dh can never really eat most casseroles so he is so grateful when he sees some veggies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Taco salad. Enough said.
I love a yummy taco salad. I haven't had/or made one in ages.

I once made a pizza dip in a small crockpot and that got cleared out in two minutes by the kids. That was kid specific type recipe though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
Yum. You have just inspired me.
Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #7
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love to make salads--pasta or potato or broccoli or something like that. Or apple crisp or cookies or some kind of easy and semi-healthy dessert, or rolls. I haven't been to a potluck in a long time though, not sure why.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:10 PM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Our cinnamon rolls take a long time too. (So do the rolls) But! You can let them get all the way to the final rise, then stick them in the fridge (covered) and leave them until the morning. They will slowly do the last rise in the fridge and you can pop them right in the oven. We bring warm, because the oven is usually super busy there.

We might be in a weird place but casseroles aren't super common here for potlucks. There might be 1 or 2, but not a lot and many other options. People here tend to bring meat dishes for the main course, so you could do something like that. Common ones--ham, turkey, meatloaf, meatballs, fried chicken, pulled pork, or pork lion.

ETA--we have a church dinner week. I plan on bringing rolls, cinnamon rolls, grapes, and pulled pork.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would love someone forever if they brought fried chicken. I've never seen it happen here though.

People make lots of chili. Not sure about the new parish though. My friend used to make the best meatballs but then she moved.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:41 PM   #10
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Our cinnamon rolls take a long time too. (So do the rolls) But! You can let them get all the way to the final rise, then stick them in the fridge (covered) and leave them until the morning. They will slowly do the last rise in the fridge and you can pop them right in the oven. We bring warm, because the oven is usually super busy there.

We might be in a weird place but casseroles aren't super common here for potlucks. There might be 1 or 2, but not a lot and many other options. People here tend to bring meat dishes for the main course, so you could do something like that. Common ones--ham, turkey, meatloaf, meatballs, fried chicken, pulled pork, or pork lion.

ETA--we have a church dinner week. I plan on bringing rolls, cinnamon rolls, grapes, and pulled pork.

I have never seen cinnamon rolls at a potluck. I may be moving north soon.