Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
cristaal
Registered Users

Flats or prefolds what is your preference

I think I'm going to get rid of all my pocket diapers and tired of stuffing them and opted for covers and inserts. But I don't know if I should do flats or prefolds? Prefolds are easy to just put in the diaper cover but I feel like they can be rather thick sometimes what is your experience?

Advertisement

cristaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flats or prefolds what is your preference

Both have their advantages. If you have difficult washing conditions, flats, hands down. Flats are also more versatile for sizing length and thickness. They take two extra folds compared to refolds--in half and in half again so you have a square/rectangle the size of a pre fold, but it is 4 layers all the way across, so when you then trifold that, you have 12 layers. A 4x8x4 pre fold will have 16 layers when trifolded, so yes that is thicker. But if your child needs more absorbency than ONE flat, doubling flats will be thicker than one pre fold. GreenMountainDiapers (and probably some others) now has a lighter weight pre fold which is a 2-6-2 ply in newborn size, and 4-6-4 in infant and medium. Prefolds you'll need to either fold over the front/back or get sized ones, which means re-buying as baby grows. Flats adjust, but as you move toward more length the thickness decreases so you may need to double at some point. GMD also sells a half flat for a thinner way to double.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote