Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Mama Cloth and Cup help....

I tired 3 different types of cups and a couple of different sizes with no success. I found them to be excruciatingly painful and extraordinarily difficult to remove. I appear to be in the minority though. And yes, I gave them plenty of time, 2 maybe 3 years? before giving up on them.

For cloth pads I went cheap. Initially I went infant prefolds. Then switched to large 9"9" bamboo or hemp (can't remember now) fleece wipes, WAHM made, double layer. I trifold and use snug undies to hold in place. On lighter days smaller 7"7" folded in half works well for me. As I am now soon to be 41 years old these are quite likely to last until menopause. Probably won't need to replace them.

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #12
WannaBeGreen2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have used a Diva cup for several years now and really like it. After each baby is born, I dread having to use mama cloth for the pp bleeding, but it's definitely better than disposbable pads! I have a China cheapie cup that I keep in my purse for emergencies, and while it works fine, it's much less firm than my Diva cup so I always feel like I have to wear mama cloth as a backup if I'm stuck using that cup for a few days.

There are some comparison charts and videos our there that show differences in capacity, firmness, etc. I know Dirty Diaper Laundry has one (and a video that's great!) and she also runs Put A Cup In It, so they probably have the same or similar comparison info. It can take several cycles to get used to a cup, so don't give up if it doesn't work for you right away. And you can also try different cups. There's a market for selling used menstrual cups if you don't like one you try, so just pick one and try it. Like I said, I personally really like my Diva cup. When I first bought it there weren't a ton to choose from that I was aware of, but it was the most popular at the time and the most readily available so I went for it and don't regret it.

I am not brand loyal on my mama cloth as I don't use it much and haven't tried many brands, but I have some Pink Lemonade thong panty liners that are fabulous. I also have some pp pads from her too, I think. I also have a couple that I got on Amazon that work ok. I can't remember the brand, but I know they're also a cloth diaper brand which was why I tried them. Fuzzi Bunz maybe? I keep those in my purse and diaper bag as back ups or if I don't have my cup with me for some reason.

As far as how often they have to be replaced, some people say every few years you should, some people say they never have. I've had mine for many years, but between several pregnancies plus several years of lactational amenorrhea, I haven't used it much so I don't plan to replace it anytime soon. If it shows signs of breaking down obviously I would, but it's medical grade silicone so I expect many many good years of use out of it.
WannaBeGreen2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #13
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How do you wash/store mama cloth? Not going to lie it kind of grosses me out, yet I like the idea of them.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #14
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

Washing/storing: Just like cloth diapers and cloth wipes, you can store dirty and wash it all together. When they're clean and dry they can be stored in a bag or a tub, in the bathroom cupboard.
twood80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #15
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twood80 View Post
Washing/storing: Just like cloth diapers and cloth wipes, you can store dirty and wash it all together. When they're clean and dry they can be stored in a bag or a tub, in the bathroom cupboard.
You wash them with cloth diapers?
Old 08-12-2016, 01:05 PM   #16
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

I do, yes. I keep a wet/dry bag in the bathroom (with cloth wipes in the dry half), wait until either the bag is full (then dump it into the diaper pail) or it's laundry time (put everything in the washing machine), and then wash them right along with the diapers and wipes.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #17
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you just take a small wet bag with you in public?
Old 08-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #18
stevensmom
Administrator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't wash mine with cloth diapers because I'm always afraid of yeast getting on the diapers. I wash mine with our towels

I have a pocket wetbag that holds mine when out in public. I also bring some baby wipes to clean out my cup incase I'm needing to clean it in a public restroom and don't have access to a sink near me
BabyBoyBlueBoutique
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:18 PM   #19
twood80
Registered Users
seller
seller

This looks pretty innocuous even in an office setting, and has enough room for ~3 standard size pads (more if you squish), so 4 for the day if you start by wearing one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003II923M/
Old 08-12-2016, 05:58 PM   #20
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are so many different options (fabric/material, length, width, thickness) I have no clue where to start lol