Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #271
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Moma chat thread. Share, Q&A, all things chicken! <3 October <3

Thanks Kat, I'm doin some heavy prayin that thew repeated sanitiseing and dusting will help. I can oil them again so if the ivermectin doesn't work I'll have to rely on the adams or something elese.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #272
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

ahhhh. I'm sorry Sarah, don't beat yourself up. If I hadn't turned my girls upside down and picked them over under their feathers I would have never noticed the lice. Nobody was even acting strange except peanut. I don't want to think about how long peanut must have had them, and how long the others did before I caught her case. It just happens sometimes. Particularly to feather footed gals and ESPECIALLY in the situation you are in, having rescue hens. I'm afraid you are going to find a lot of conditions these poor girls have over time from the neglect they suffered at the hands of that idiot. I bet they brought it with them. It is a huge undertaking to treat that many girls. I had my eldest son help me. He was my "nurse" LOL. He stood by and handed me things and helped me check off who was treated. I think unfortunately you're going to have to do it again in a week. Don't shoot the messenger. Did you oil up your perches too? OH and if you have any tree branch perches with bark on them, get rid of them! They harbor mites.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #273
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I knew their may be some problems to come up, just not so many, one after another. It's still worth it to see them happy. So worth it. All the online tips were every 2 days. I can handle in 9-10 days. I just don't know about Soloman. Oh Liz I thought he was gonna stroke from fear. That is one stron fella. I think I'm gonna get some more syringes for the followup application of the ivermectin. The refilling was a pain, always is. is was just FREEZING out and the wind. By the time I was done, the blue and red wasn't just in my fingers but up to my wrists. I had a fire in the wood stove. I should have taken warm up breaks. Just wanted it done. I can be kinda stubborn that way. I tried to keep it as unstressfull as possible. Looks like the cochins have has it longer by the amnt of swelling. I'm gonna keep doing the spraydowns or the coop/run every cpl days with dusting too. I want this gone. I only have the one outdoor purch that's wood. I saturated it with bleach. I'll keep up with that one too. I wish I had caught this before it got this cold!

The chickens have just about finished off our rockin pumpkin out front. It looks super scarey now, lol. I'll upload the pics soon.

And thanks Liz.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 10-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #274
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another photo explosion.
Here are some pics of how our size of the eggs varry. I didn't get those long skinny ones in the pic. First-pullet, second-growing pullet, third-reg big cochin, forth, huge double i keep getting from one of those 2 overweight cochins.

Some pics of the tiny new lo. Just love her/him! And as goo of pics as I could get of the feet. Oh, Cayden decided to give the girls some of his syrup. A HUGE hit!

Girls caught in the act of eating the poor pumpkin! They run for the gate to greet us like dogs.
The last 3 pics are what was left this am!!!

This is the dumb people label that was on my hat. I couldn't believe my eyes!

Old 10-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #275
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Omgosh that hat label is a hoot!
Seriously Sarah, like you are going to walk into a bank and rob it! Imagine carrying a huge bag of cash and wearing that hat. The label is just warning you now that if you do happen to decide to rob a bank there is a GPS chip in the hat and they will catch you. So in other words, if you plan on robbing a bank...don't wear that hat.
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #276
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hahaha! Yea. I can't believe co's have to lable every stupid common since detail because of fear of lawsuits, lol. What about the relivent things that should be labeled? Like the important ingredients, ect... Idiots!
Old 10-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #277
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh wow, I forgot to post the funnies thing! I wentto let the flock out whenthe sun cam eup as ususl. I heard Daisy May mew'ing. I could see very well, then I noticed her in the run ontop of the huge limb perch I made. She was cuddles up on the top, lol. She must have gotten in their with them to get warm last night when I shut them up, she was locked in. She get's along ok with them. She thinks treat or feed time is for her too. She loves their pellets and even tomatoes! This am she was fighting for a bite of a mater, lol. Crazy kitty thinks she's part of the flock! She even suns out in the yard with them. I wanna try and get a pic of it.

Also, I have hunted all day for a way to hard boil eggs so the shell won't stick. I aced it. I ran out of viniger so I used fridge lemmon juice in the water. I pipped a hole in the fat end of every egg with a thumb tac. The lemon juice or vinegar keeps the egg from seeping out the hole. As soon as eggs are done, quickly rinse in really cold water and soak in an ice bathe for like 5-10 mins. Take each eggs out and tap each end on the counter, then roll the egg letting it gently crack. The shell peeled off in almost one piece ever time! I'll never go back, lol.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #278
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah to calm them, take an old blanket or towel and firmly (but not too tight) swaddle them and then drape the excess over their head so they can't see like a horse. This makes it a bit easier to accomplish by yourself too. Sadie tore me right up every time I didn't do this. She hated the foot soaks. Do oil all your perches as well, top to bottom with mineral or veg. oil. That will also help distribute the oil on their feet. I don't know if bleach will kill them? I know that the oil is supposed to suffocate them. If it were me, I'd light that wood stove and do them all indoors.

Oh, l love your baby! I think I'm going to send you those eggs in the spring, and then when you're ready to set eggs I will too. That way I can ask you all my crazy first hatch questions. That poor pumpkin, it never had a chance! Ironically, the girls devoured my winter squash but would NOT eat the flesh of my sugar pie pumpkins? They ate the seeds but left the rest! I was very shocked. OH and a while back sarah you said that your chickens wouldn't eat your carrots, mine don't like them either and won't touch them. Too funny about the hat. Yeah, because fur flap hat would be your first choice if you were say.. going to build a house or ... rob a bank. LOL

Hey, do you knit? I keep forgetting to ask! And your kitty sounds so sweet. We need new pics of her!

Darn, I wish you'd posted that about the eggs a couple days ago, did you read my adventure with deviled eggs? RFLOL! Oh they were terrible! Dh said they came out way too sweet too. oh well, I tried! My cousin leanne said she uses vinegar in the water too and great minds think alike, I was noticing how the ones that had just slightly cracked after they started cooking peeled nearly all in one piece! I was trying to figure out how I could duplicate that effect without having the egg burst out of the shell or burn myself trying to crack them while they were still cooking. Good work! I'll try that next time. If there is a next time. My house still smells like egg. Burnt egg. yum.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #279
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah I have been thinking and thinking on your "fat" hens. I actually went out and weighed mine to compare. I feed my girls Kruse Layer pellets, non organic. They don't have much to graze on since we are in the desert but they get a healthy share of treats. They eat all day long off and on, I go thru a 50lb sac of feed in about 2.5 weeks, and that's about right for 15 birds. I don't feed scratch. I weighed just a portion of my flock, the ones that feel the heaviest and lightest when I pick them up to get an average. My heaviest girl(s) are 6lbs and my lightest girls are just 4lbs. I don't know if you've ever weighed yours before but I really expected them to be much heavier. I was actually pretty shocked.

I have looked into fodder feeding but the setup cost is shocking. I think you mentioned once that you feed soy free? I looked into soy free Kruse feed for my girls and what I noticed is that in place of the soy they add Canola meal and a lot more alfalfa. Now alfalfa to some degree can be good. BUT it is also VERY high in protein. Too much can go the opposite way. Canola meal piqued my curiosity. Why would they add that? I found this, on feeding calves and canola meal. The parts that stood out to me is fatty deposits and less conversion to energy. So if your hens are eating this and still feeling hungry, they are going to eat more feed.

Digestible Energy Content

One of the criticisms of canola meal is its lower digestible energy content compared to soybean meal. Much of this can be attributed to the increased proportion of hull (as a percentage of seed or meal weight) compared to soybean meal. Bell (1993) reported the hull represents about 16 percent of the seed weight and about 30 percent of the meal by weight. Canola meal contains up to three times as much crude fiber as soybean meal. This fiber tends to be lower in digestibility and consequently results in lower energy content of the meal. Bell and Shires (1982) reported that the digestibility of the hull fraction in hogs was 30 percent for yellow hulled varieties and 2 percent for brown hulled varieties. Lardy et al. (1993) reported low hull digestibility in rapeseed meal when samples were incubated in situ. Dehulling the meal has resulted in reduced fiber content of the meal with improvements in digestible energy content (Bell, 1993). However, with current processing and crushing technology, canola is still primarily crushed as intact seed, and consequently the hulls remain in the meal.

Factors Affecting Nutrient Content of the Meal

A variety of factors, including environmental conditions during plant growth, harvest conditions, bulk density and others, influence the nutrient content of canola meal. Minor factors influencing the nutrient content of the meal include varietal differences in canola seed, and processing of the seed and meal during oil extraction and meal production (Hickling, 2001). Kendall et al. (1991) reported variations in protein degradability for canola meal differed between plants. However, when they measured essential amino acid content of residues following in situ incubation for 12 to 16 hours there was little difference between samples. Canola meal had higher ruminal escape values compared to soybean meal.

Canola Meal in Diets for Calves

Claypool et al. (1985) compared soybean meal, cottonseed meal, and canola meal as ingredients in starter rations for 45-day-old Holstein calves. They reported no differences in calf performance during preweaning or postweaning. British researchers reported no adverse effects on intake or calf performance when comparing canola meal to soybean meal as a protein supplement for 160 kg calves (Hill et al., 1990). Beauchemin et al. (1995) utilized canola meal as an ingredient in creep feeds for nursing calves grazing irrigated pastures. They compared canola meal, heat-treated canola meal, lignosulfate-treated canola meal, and dried distillers grains as the main ingredients in creep feeds. Calves fed creep feed gained more weight than calves not offered a creep feed. No differences among the various canola meal treatments were detected. These authors also measured ruminal degradability of the various canola meals used in this trial using the in situ procedure. They noted that chemical or heat treatment of canola meal reduced the protein degradability of the meal. However, no differences in calf performance were noted in the creep feeding trial, likely indicating that escape or metabolizable protein was not limiting for the calves in this experiment. These authors did note increased cow weight gains and back fat deposition when calves were fed lignosulfate-treated canola meal creep feed compared to untreated canola or the unsupplemented control group.

I have to wonder if trying another feed, or buying your own raw grain and mixing it yourself would help with the weight of your girls? Just a thought,and if you're not using soy free just ignore me. It's just been bumping around in the back of my brain for a while now. LOL
Old 10-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #280
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Sarah to calm them, take an old blanket or towel and firmly (but not too tight) swaddle them and then drape the excess over their head so they can't see like a horse. This makes it a bit easier to accomplish by yourself too. Sadie tore me right up every time I didn't do this. She hated the foot soaks. Do oil all your perches as well, top to bottom with mineral or veg. oil. That will also help distribute the oil on their feet. I don't know if bleach will kill them? I know that the oil is supposed to suffocate them. If it were me, I'd light that wood stove and do them all indoors.
I have given it a cpl tries. My stuff gets dumped over and they compleatly freak. I'll try it with Solomon for sure next time. I have it marked on the calender! I read bleach was a good idea before dutsing. I use it anyway to do a deep clean once a month. Believe it or not,it really helps any bacteria funk/odor building up. I think the idea you have about taking them in to do them will take a little more time, but it will be SO much easier! I'm gonna try to do it that way! I'll start the fire before I do the coop. I'll also oil the perches.
Oh, l love your baby! I think I'm going to send you those eggs in the spring, and then when you're ready to set eggs I will too. That way I can ask you all my crazy first hatch questions.
I have a Liz in Australia that wants to trade me buff cochin eggs for mine! We can set it all up for the same time, lol. It'll be a hatch party! Yea, I'm a dork like that! To me, it will not only be an HONOR to raise some of your babies, but to do it together will be so cool! Now if I can get some cuckoo's at the same time, or some buff orps, hahaha.
That poor pumpkin, it never had a chance! Ironically, the girls devoured my winter squash but would NOT eat the flesh of my sugar pie pumpkins? They ate the seeds but left the rest! I was very shocked. OH and a while back sarah you said that your chickens wouldn't eat your carrots, mine don't like them either and won't touch them. Too funny about the hat. Yeah, because fur flap hat would be your first choice if you were say.. going to build a house or ... rob a bank. LOL
They wouldn't eat the pumpkin? Ahh. How about cooking it. Toss that thing in the oven untill tender and serve warm. My girls just LOVE steamed fresh taters! Other veggies cooked too. I know, right, rotfl! Silly tag.
Isn't she/he just breathtaking! She took 23 days to hatch, then assisted. He sis didn't make it. I let her have a full day half hatched to dry out the vessils I think it was. I can't remember crud. Ugh. Anyway, I gave her drops of the chick water and when she seemed ready i hatched her. I let her stay in the bator for a day? I think 1.5 days? Then I transfured her to a little nest in her own section in the ben. She is just so tiny! Hope it's a girl, LOL! I wonder if she was not only from the pullet egg, but also bred from the little cochinXbantam boys I had. She's from that time frame and does have a little smidge of featherleg goin on. Still no flight feathers. I'm anziously awaiting to see if I can feather sex.
Hey, do you knit? I keep forgetting to ask! And your kitty sounds so sweet. We need new pics of her!
Oh girl. I did. Also crochet! My LOVE! And my addiction to all thing knit/crochet, or wool. It breaks my heart. From holding the wheel so tightly upon impact, I now have so much pain and arthritis in my hands. It keeps me from doing it. I just can not stand it! Stupid woman, stupid crash. Ruined everything I enjoyed. I try to just go day by day and not think about it. It changed the way I live and now I can devote every hour to family and stay home. I wish I could at least work part time. I miss it.
Darn, I wish you'd posted that about the eggs a couple days ago, did you read my adventure with deviled eggs? RFLOL! Oh they were terrible! Dh said they came out way too sweet too. oh well, I tried! My cousin leanne said she uses vinegar in the water too and great minds think alike, I was noticing how the ones that had just slightly cracked after they started cooking peeled nearly all in one piece! I was trying to figure out how I could duplicate that effect without having the egg burst out of the shell or burn myself trying to crack them while they were still cooking. Good work! I'll try that next time. If there is a next time. My house still smells like egg. Burnt egg. yum.
I wasn't thinking it would work. Now we can successfully have egg salad sandwiches all the time, hehe. This house does smell, 2 boys, it's gonna get worse, hahaha. I didn't figure it out till today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Sarah I have been thinking and thinking on your "fat" hens. I actually went out and weighed mine to compare. I feed my girls Kruse Layer pellets, non organic. They don't have much to graze on since we are in the desert but they get a healthy share of treats. They eat all day long off and on, I go thru a 50lb sac of feed in about 2.5 weeks, and that's about right for 15 birds. I don't feed scratch. I weighed just a portion of my flock, the ones that feel the heaviest and lightest when I pick them up to get an average. My heaviest girl(s) are 6lbs and my lightest girls are just 4lbs. I don't know if you've ever weighed yours before but I really expected them to be much heavier. I was actually pretty shocked.
I do go with only soy free. I don't want the hormones that soy is so high in. Especially with Cayden having so many diatary and health issues. You know it is so high in hormones that there have been several cases of girls under 3 yo having pubic hair. It's one of those things that needs to be fermented. it was fed to munks to supress their labido. It's not all bad, works for some, just not us. Not with Cayden for sure. Awsome info on the nutrition! I couldn't find if canola was in our feed. It's a local made organic feed. They are actually doing very well with hand feeding and grazing all day. They are really enjoying the grass seed that's up right now. I also feed lots of kitchen goodies and fresh veggies and fruit.

I'm gonna try to weigh the fatties soon. I have the shipping scale i can tote out with a tray. I can't even immagine. Super idea!
I have looked into fodder feeding but the setup cost is shocking. I think you mentioned once that you feed soy free? I looked into soy free Kruse feed for my girls and what I noticed is that in place of the soy they add Canola meal and a lot more alfalfa. Now alfalfa to some degree can be good. BUT it is also VERY high in protein. Too much can go the opposite way. Canola meal piqued my curiosity. Why would they add that? I found this, on feeding calves and canola meal. The parts that stood out to me is fatty deposits and less conversion to energy. So if your hens are eating this and still feeling hungry, they are going to eat more feed.
Here is our feed:
http://www.ourcoop.com/productcatalo....aspx?el=58342
I love the idea of the fodder system. Could you convert an old fridge into a growing station and grow your own barley?
Digestible Energy Content

One of the criticisms of canola meal is its lower digestible energy content compared to soybean meal. Much of this can be attributed to the increased proportion of hull (as a percentage of seed or meal weight) compared to soybean meal. Bell (1993) reported the hull represents about 16 percent of the seed weight and about 30 percent of the meal by weight. Canola meal contains up to three times as much crude fiber as soybean meal. This fiber tends to be lower in digestibility and consequently results in lower energy content of the meal. Bell and Shires (1982) reported that the digestibility of the hull fraction in hogs was 30 percent for yellow hulled varieties and 2 percent for brown hulled varieties. Lardy et al. (1993) reported low hull digestibility in rapeseed meal when samples were incubated in situ. Dehulling the meal has resulted in reduced fiber content of the meal with improvements in digestible energy content (Bell, 1993). However, with current processing and crushing technology, canola is still primarily crushed as intact seed, and consequently the hulls remain in the meal.

Factors Affecting Nutrient Content of the Meal

A variety of factors, including environmental conditions during plant growth, harvest conditions, bulk density and others, influence the nutrient content of canola meal. Minor factors influencing the nutrient content of the meal include varietal differences in canola seed, and processing of the seed and meal during oil extraction and meal production (Hickling, 2001). Kendall et al. (1991) reported variations in protein degradability for canola meal differed between plants. However, when they measured essential amino acid content of residues following in situ incubation for 12 to 16 hours there was little difference between samples. Canola meal had higher ruminal escape values compared to soybean meal.

Canola Meal in Diets for Calves

Claypool et al. (1985) compared soybean meal, cottonseed meal, and canola meal as ingredients in starter rations for 45-day-old Holstein calves. They reported no differences in calf performance during preweaning or postweaning. British researchers reported no adverse effects on intake or calf performance when comparing canola meal to soybean meal as a protein supplement for 160 kg calves (Hill et al., 1990). Beauchemin et al. (1995) utilized canola meal as an ingredient in creep feeds for nursing calves grazing irrigated pastures. They compared canola meal, heat-treated canola meal, lignosulfate-treated canola meal, and dried distillers grains as the main ingredients in creep feeds. Calves fed creep feed gained more weight than calves not offered a creep feed. No differences among the various canola meal treatments were detected. These authors also measured ruminal degradability of the various canola meals used in this trial using the in situ procedure. They noted that chemical or heat treatment of canola meal reduced the protein degradability of the meal. However, no differences in calf performance were noted in the creep feeding trial, likely indicating that escape or metabolizable protein was not limiting for the calves in this experiment. These authors did note increased cow weight gains and back fat deposition when calves were fed lignosulfate-treated canola meal creep feed compared to untreated canola or the unsupplemented control group.

I have to wonder if trying another feed, or buying your own raw grain and mixing it yourself would help with the weight of your girls? Just a thought,and if you're not using soy free just ignore me. It's just been bumping around in the back of my brain for a while now. LOL
Loved reading this, thanks for taking the time and posting it!

I'll post pics of daisy as soon as I upload them, lol. I'm such a pic dork.