Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:
Would it be crazy...

...to NOT buy any fluff for our baby on the way until he/she arrives? We are considering not finding out the sex and I'd rather wait and buy diapers after the birth then. I could use some of our backup flats if baby has sensitive skin until fluff arrives. DS3 will still be in diapers and is sensitive to sposies, so he'd be wearing BGEs and BG 4.0s (night) and those won't fit the baby right away. Our boys grew SO fast that they were in OS diapers by 2-3 weeks, but our dd was teeny tiny. So if we had a boy, I'd be tempted to just buy more OS diapers, and if it was a girl I'd probably buy a very small nb stash to get us through until OS fit. We are not interested in using anything but AIOs for the most part so it seems like it might be easier this way. Maybe even cheaper to skip the newborn stage??

Advertisement

Last edited by FernHollow; 02-12-2011 at 01:44 PM.
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
redshoe95
Registered Users
seller

Re: Would it be crazy...

yeah I find it cheaper to just skip the newborn stage as well...next time I might be tempted to try it from the beginning but you never know. I got a box of like 260 swaddlers for $28 for my son when he was born he was into the onesizes by the time these were gone. Also I don't think you're crazy for waiting. I used to would have but after buying a whole stash ahead this last time and having to sell it all because of sensitivity to fibers, now I would understand.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
FernHollow
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoe95 View Post
yeah I find it cheaper to just skip the newborn stage as well...next time I might be tempted to try it from the beginning but you never know. I got a box of like 260 swaddlers for $28 for my son when he was born he was into the onesizes by the time these were gone. Also I don't think you're crazy for waiting. I used to would have but after buying a whole stash ahead this last time and having to sell it all because of sensitivity to fibers, now I would understand.
Yeah, I can get a case of 7th generation for $26 each on Amazon. We'd likely need 2 cases, maybe 3 to make it until the OS fit. Thats at most $52-78 with free 2 day shipping. I would still use cloth wipes on the baby, DS3 would be in cloth FT and I would use my mama cloth pp. Since I would just break even with prefolds and covers and have NO desire to go that route this time, it just doesn't seem to make sense. If money was no object, I'd go with all AIOs, but I just can't see that making sense financially. My last baby I had this big gorgeous newborn stash for him and none of it fit by 2 weeks This way I could also try out some of DS3's BGE's and BG 4.0s on the newbie to make sure we didn't have any issues with materials. I've had material issues with my last two and they were a total pain to CD as newbies because of it.

I just feel a little bad and I'll be using my nice OBV mama cloth, DS3 will be in cloth and the newborn in sposies. Even if I did prefolds and a cheap cover like Bummis, I don't think I'd save a dime, it might even cost more. I'd love to CD in the nb stage for environmental reasons, but it needs to also make sense financially. Since this is definitely our last baby (no one to save diapers for) and I hate reselling, I'm thinking skipping the newborn fluff and buying a stash later might be better...
FernHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
KimA
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the least expensive way to go for the nb stage is flats and a few covers, it would still cost more than sposies but if you weren't planning on having another baby these items sell pretty quick on FSOT.
Sometimes the company that you buy them from will buy them back from you, if they don't offer you could always ask.
KimA is offline   Reply With Quote