Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #31
3boys_mom
Registered Users

Re: Homeschool Check In Feb. 1st--10th

I haven't read the thread since I last posted...will got back and do that...

Today was actually a good day of school here. I am quite pleased. Not everything got done. But 'enough' got done that I can, in good conscience, count today as a school day.

I don't know what is going on with my oldest but he has gotten in to this sleeping pattern where he is up all night and wants to sleep all day. He denies that he is awake all night, but what other reason would he need to sleep all day? He is obviously tired. It is hard because currently his bedroom is on a different level of the house than ours is. And as usual the ILs aren't helping the situation. Apparently we are handling the situation all wrong :shrugs:

Still no update on the speech therapy situation for my youngest boy. But he is retaining all that we have been working on since we started back in Jan. That makes me happy!

Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #32
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Lyn, does your oldest have anything to keep himself up with? I find if we don't take our oldest's iPod away, she'll be up all night playing on it. I'm hoping in a few months we'll be able to try again and trust her with it.

AFU, the girls started bowling this morning. It's on base and they are hoping to get a homeschool league going. This right now is more of a bowling course, complete with their own bowling ball. Apparently, there's some kind of program that provides balls for the kids, which is cool. DS didn't want to do it, for some reason, so he sat and read. This afternoon we went and toured one of the "local" fire stations. I say "local" because we live just outside a big city, so there are quite a few fire stations. This one we went to is where a friend of ours works, so he cleared it for us to come up and check it out. They even let the kids spray the parking lot with one of the hoses from the smaller truck.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #33
Texasmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I cant not seem to get motivated this week. I'm hoping next week is better I have been looking for curriculum for next year I think I finally found one.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:01 AM   #34
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Spoke with someone about the coop yesterday via email and now I am sitting hoping to get to join next year. I was informed that being a member of our church gave us option to join whenever, but it seems they are changing rules and this could affect us even getting IN the coop.

I also spoke with a lady at our church who has/is homeschooling her 5 children and she gave me some relief about IF we are in the oversight program with the county. It was nice to get to talk to someone who has "been there/done that" to make me feel a bit better/at ease.

Yesterday we managed to get all his work done, but it took him forever for 9 math problems...the problem apparently was the number line only went to 20 and he had to add 19 and 2, and 20 and 3....the making the number line longer didn't register with him. He just sat there looking at it for 30 minutes before he said something, he is SO my son.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #35
croark
Registered Users
seller

Good morning ladies!

We had a great school day yesterday. I finally started Horizons Phonics with my 6 yr old. We just finished up Get Ready for the Code series. We also started some correlating Bob readers and she done great! I think she's going to pick up on reading fairly easy.
We also got our CLE 1 math in yday. I think it will be the perfect supplement we'll need to MUS. looking forward to starting it today.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #36
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Can I go back to bed?
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #37
Art mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor
Can I go back to bed?
If I can. 6 year old has a tick bite so she's in a benedryl fog. Baby has a fever. And I feel bad too. At least we didn't have to leave the house this morning. Yay for homeschool! Lol
Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #38
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hello there to all of the wonderful homeschooling families!

Art mama and Tallanvor, I hope you get your much needed rest. I also woke up early and have a cold so I may be snoozing this afternoon as well.

Croark, I loved hearing about your great day yesterday. Love those days!

Lyn, sorry to hear about your DS sleeping pattern. Hopefully you get to the root of it soon. Could it be that he is waking up in the middle of the night for some reason? We all get into funky sleep patterns sometimes and I hope this doesn't last too long. Glad to hear you had a good day. What a shame that the ILs aren't supportive but just do what you feel is best and try not to worry about them. I know it is all the harder when you are living w/ them.

Foggie, what a shame that it is SO tough to get into this co-op. Is it possible to start your own co-op if you aren't able to get into this one? I hope things work out.

I don't get on this thread very much but I just LOVE, LOVE this idea and how supportive and wonderful all of you are to one another. Big hugs to all of you for being SO, SO AWESOME w/ one another and for keeping this going.

For those of you who don't know us or don't remember us. We are a homeschooling family of 6. I have 4 DDs who are 4.5, 8, almost 11 and 12 yrs old. We are very relaxed homeschoolers and do our own thing.

I am currently trying to go to a few different educator programs that are being offered in my area. I love being able to earn teaching credits (I have a teaching degree and am behind in my teaching credits) and being able to network w/ other educators. I love learning more about their teaching environments and exposing them to our family's. This past weekend I was talking w/ a teacher and she asked me if my children feel alone because they are homeschooled. I got to tell her how many different things we are doing and that they don't feel alone. I don't think that thought has crossed my DDs minds. This past Saturday I went to a program for educators to learn about teaching about Umm Kulthum. She is regarded as the most famous Arabic singer in history and I didn't know anything about her. There are several different on-line links to teach about her and Arabic culture here: http://albustanseeds.org/digital/kulthum/#.URP4JKVJ18E
I am currently doing another program on teaching about East Asia and should be reading my textbook to prepare for my class this weekend.

Another thing I am looking to do is offering free services to area homeschoolers. PA is a state where you have to do standardized testing in grades 3, 5 and 8th grades. I am looking to administer the test to homeschoolers for free. I am going to be contacting the library next wk to see if they will let me use their space. PA is also a state where homeschoolers need to have evaluations done. I am going to offer free evals to homeschooling families, like I did last yr but I want to reach out more this yr. I love doing this because I am always thrilled when another homeschooler offers something to others for free, out of the goodness of their heart and this is my way of contributing to the homeschooling community. I hope to inspire each of you to do what you can to help your homeschooling community.

Now this was supposed to be more about my kids than me so I will write a little about them : ) My almost 11yr old is knitting and crocheting and I am looking to get her more yarn in the coming days/ weeks. She is also listening to the audio book of Johnny Tremain. My ODD s reading it as well for the literature circle we started going to. Someone in the group linked to a study guide so we may get to that. My girls are always drawing and having lots of fun w/ that. I am looking into getting them into a class @ the art museum. We got a copy of Where the Sidewalk Ends and we enjoyed reading a few poems from that. My 2 ODDs are into coins from foreign countries and managed to score a couple coins @ the chocolate factory tour yesterday.

Looking forward to hearing about your days and thanks for reading and sharing your experiences!
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #39
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wishing I could have kept up more this week. 2 of mine have had high fevers for the last two days plus the baby is still nursing all night long (and rolled over yesterday so that coincides with his severe clinginess over the last 2 weeks). I got Nikolas to do some math yesterday even though his fever was hovering around 102.2. Poor guy is still miserable. Hoping today it will break for good and we can get some things done.

Charlene Keala 9.27.10, Zakary Michael 10.25.12 & Lillian Hikialani 10.25.14 ~

Baby "Teo" due December 2016 || Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #40
foggierbard9
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got to talk to one of the head ladies of the coop today at the church. Every other thursday is a women's Bible Study and they have some small classes for the kids. I told her what I was told in the email and she said she knew some changes were coming, but that I shouldn't worry because she will "take care of me". I am taking that as, even if they don't open it up, and they do change the rules, she will make sure we get in because we have been talking about it since November, but joining 1/2 way through the year didn't make sense to me. Took a bit of a load off to know that there is a really good chance she can get us in. I talked to a mom today who has 2 of her girls in the coop and I guess they do 3 classes every thursday and the offerings are so vast, they even have some preschool stuff for young kids and a nursery for really little ones if I were to want to teach or help out in a class.

The mom I talked to today has 3 girls ages 8, 6, and 3 and I think we may go together to the homeschool convention in April to check out all the curriculum offerings. I already know what we are using next year, but to get to go do something like this would be a blessing to me. I have struggled to find friends around here and it seems that little by little our family joining this church has provided the opportunities that I need to get some time for me.

We didn't do any school today because of our whole morning being spent at the church, but that is ok because I had planned for that earlier in the week and we did extra on Monday, so we are still right on track for this week's schedule.