Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #231
tessa_s212
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroBaby View Post
Ummm...if you're having your son circ'd, he WILL be going through that. Talk about OUCH is right. Only this way it will be done on a bitty, newborn baby without painkillers instead of a grown man who will most likely be put under to have it done. Heartbreaking.
I've never met a man to this day that has remembered or is traumatized forever by being circumsized. It is a preventative procedure - equal to removing dewclaws and docking tails on certain breeds of dogs that are prone to tail injury. It prevents a lot of pain and discomfort later in life, when it WILL be remembered and more vividly felt.

Now, if you could hop down off that horse, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thankyou.

Advertisement

tessa_s212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #232
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa_s212 View Post
If I have a son, he will be circumsized.

My grandfather had to have it done at 60, and would rather my son never have to go through that. Talk about OUCH. It is a simple preventative procedure.
Did you read up on circumcision? I ask b/c the reason old men "have" to have it done is often b/c of misinformation about they way to care for it that lead to problems. There are also Dr.'s who just jump to circumcise whether or not it is "needed". We are one of the few developed countries that still have such high circ rates, and in those countries where it is not common, the rate of necessary adult circs is really low. It is our culture that thinks it HAS to be done when there is any issue at all- which is ludicrous if you think of it from an outsiders POV. Like, what if they cut off your labia b/c they found a very very slight decrease in UTI's with women who did not have their labia? You would think it is ridiculous to hack off such a sensitive part just b/c of a minor decrease in occurence and you would also look into other ways to fight UTIs.

All of that said, I think circing is each individual family's decision to be made. I just wish people put more education into it.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #233
Nanner99
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I've never met a man to this day that has remembered or is traumatized forever by being circumsized. It is a preventative procedure - equal to removing dewclaws and docking tails on certain breeds of dogs that are prone to tail injury. It prevents a lot of pain and discomfort later in life, when it WILL be remembered and more vividly felt.

Um, removing dewclaws and docking tails is done for aesthetic reasons, not preventative ones in almost all cases.

Also, was your grandpa actually traumatized forever by his circ?

Ok, Sara, quit editing already! I just wanted to say that I respect anyone who chooses circ and understand why many people do. It is just that this is a long, in depth thread, and your comments were kind of beating a dead horse- we have already been over the things you were saying in your original post a dozen times, so when you jumped in, it kinda seemed like you had not read very much of the thread at all, so I think everyone was trying to have you understand what this thread is about (and what it is about is not debating, but educating those who are interested).

Last edited by Nanner99; 04-14-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Nanner99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #234
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

There are actually studies that support the hypothesis that they do subconsciously remember it and it affects them sexually.

Circumcision is not a preventative procedure. It's not even recommended by the AAP

Last edited by Edensmomma; 04-14-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #235
tessa_s212
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanner99 View Post
Um, removing dewclaws and docking tails is done for aesthetic reasons, not preventative ones in almost all cases.

Also, was your grandpa actually traumatized forever by his circ?

Ok, Sara, quit editing already! I just wanted to say that I respect anyone who chooses circ and understand why many people do. It is just that this is a long, in depth thread, and your comments were kind of beating a dead horse- we have already been over the things you were saying in your original post a dozen times, so when you jumped in, it kinda seemed like you had not read very much of the thread at all, so I think everyone was trying to have you understand what this thread is about (and what it is about is not debating, but educating those who are interested).
I assure you, as someone who works in a veterinary clinic and is in pursing a degree in veterinary technology, removing declaws and docking tails is NOT purely cosmetic. It is often set in tradition, and some people do prefer certain breeds for docked tails because of the way it "looks," but ask the dog that has multiple tail injuries, or your walls with streaks of bloood after a tail injury, and you'll know it is not purely cosmetic. It can and is also a preventative procedure.

My grandfather may have not been traumatized for life, but HE certainly remembers HIS circumcision. Again, have not met a man who remembers or is traumatized by being circumsized as a baby, but have known/known of several that were not circumsized as a baby and had to have it done later in life.

I've read much of the material in this thread, though not every post, as is was quite redundant and clearly ANTI- anyone who would ever circumsize their child.. because (sarcasm) circumcision is so clearly child abuse and only the most barbaric of people do it - and not to mention unchristian like of people, considering the first post made it a point to attack people's religious beliefs if they happened to be christians that were not ANTI-circumcision.

If I have a boy, he will be circumsized to prevent the pain later in life when he WILL remember it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edensmomma View Post
There are actually studies that support the hypothesis that they do subconsciously remember it and it affects them sexually.

Circumcision is not a preventative procedure. It's not even recommended by the AAP
If I can survive and live through being molested as a young child and actually have a wonderful, loving, meaningful sex life, I'm sure men circumsized as babies can as well.

Last edited by tessa_s212; 04-14-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #236
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I assure you, as someone who works in a veterinary clinic and is in pursing a degree in veterinary technology, removing declaws and docking tails is NOT purely cosmetic. It is often set in tradition, and some people do prefer certain breeds for docked tails because of the way it "looks," but ask the dog that has multiple tail injuries, or your walls with streaks of bloood after a tail injury, and you'll know it is not purely cosmetic. It can and is also a preventative procedure.

My grandfather may have not been traumatized for life, but HE certainly remembers HIS circumcision. Again, have not met a man who remembers or is traumatized by being circumsized as a baby, but have known/known of several that were not circumsized as a baby and had to have it done later in life.

I've read much of the material in this thread, though not every post, as is was quite redundant and clearly ANTI- anyone who would ever circumsize their child.. because (sarcasm) circumcision is so clearly child abuse and only the most barbaric of people do it - and not to mention unchristian like of people, considering the first post made it a point to attack people's religious beliefs if they happened to be christians that were not ANTI-circumcision.

If I have a boy, he will be circumsized to prevent the pain later in life when he WILL remember it.

If I can survive and live through being molested as a young child and actually have a wonderful, loving, meaningful sex life, I'm sure men circumsized as babies can as well.
Are you actually comparing being sexually molested to being circumcised?
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #237
RetroBaby
Witty title here
seller

My Mood:

So should we remove baby girl's breast tissue as a "preventative measure"? Or remove all the other body parts that should have things go wrong with as a "preventative measure"? Of course no newborn will grow up and remember his circ, but he may be angry at the person who cut off part of his body without his consent. My husband sure as heck regrets that his parents took that away from him. His body, his choice.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #238
tessa_s212
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edensmomma View Post
Are you actually comparing being sexually molested to being circumcised?
LOL. I thought the SAME thing about about the opposite.. Are others ACTUALLY suggesting that men can be traumatized so badly sexually by circumcision. Uhm, no, I don't think so. Can't be anything to a rape/molestation traumatization. And if I can go on to have a wonderful sex life, so can those poor, poor traumitized circumsized men.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #239
tessa_s212
Registered Users

My Mood:

ETA: as far as the ridiculing, flaming, and personal attacks go, I will have no more of it. I did not expect such awful behavior from people on this forum.

Good day, and I hope in the future some of you learn to treat people with a little more respect and decency.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #240
RetroBaby
Witty title here
seller

My Mood:

I feel like I missed something.