Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
aggfan
Registered Users
seller

Arnica question (herbal stuff)

Can anyone tell me if pregnancy massage oil with arnica would be bad to use for perineal massage? When you do perineal massage (to help your vajajay stretch during childbirth), some oil gets in you slightly and some is all around your tender girl bits. I don't really know what arnica does and don't want any stinging surprises!

This is the oil I want to get http://shop.weleda.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=9511, a bit of a splurge, but I know I like it. The ingreients are: Sweet Almond (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba), Triticum Vulgare (Wheat), Arnica Montana, Fragrance (Parfum)*.

I used a small sample of Weleda's perineal massage oil with Dc#2, but can't find it anywhere online to purchase, at least not in the US, but here's a description of the ingredients from a British site:
sweet almond oil, wheat germ oil, sage and rose essential oils, fragrance, limonene, linalool, citronellol, geraniol, eugenol.

In another google search, I ahd the impression that the oils were pretty much the same except for Arnica, even though the ingredients above are a bit different.

Anyway, I want to use the pregnancy oil on my tummy, but would like to get more bang for my buck and use it on my perineum too. Do you think it would be ok?

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
diane24
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Arnica question (herbal stuff)

My water aerobics teacher was telling me about her homebirth and said the midwife used arnica for perineal massage. I *think* arnica works as an anti inflamatory.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #3
mom2brooke
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sounds ok to me to use on your perineum. Just make sure you get one WITHOUT alcohol!!! Ouch!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My birthing kit has arnica in it but it is for me to use afterward.It's GREAT after birth.I am not sure about beforehand. It would seem like if it is okay afterward it would be beforehand but I can't say for sure.

Oh, have you ever used plain old E or olive oil? I know those are what my midwives recommend.

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
aggfan
Registered Users
seller

I used Vitamin E oil the first two times and actually still have the oirignal bottle with 1/4 or so left in. now that I think about it, I should probably just use that if I don't feel secure about the massage oil, especially since I already have it. I just think I could justify the $20 for the massage oil better if I was going to use it for two things, but I realize I'm not being too logical here.