Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
amyruth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Drop in growth, is this a lot?

Hi girls,

A bit of background... I have a double-gene MTHFR mutation that can cause clotting and likely caused growth restriction with my first baby. He was emergency c'd at 36 weeks weighing 4lb 9oz and has low muscle tone and dev delays. Baby #2 was 6lb 10oz at near term/term but with physical deformities.

Now baby #3 has been doing great, several u/s to check on birth defects, etc and all has been normal. He's been hanging out around 50% but I went in for a scan today at 29weeks and he is dating 28wk 3 days. Not seemingly a big deal but it drops him around 35%.

Should I be really conerned about this, and if so, what can I do? He is really active and a strong kicker. I've been sick for a few weeks with a 24 hour stomach virus and colds. Can that affect the baby negatively? I did go to L&D with the virus for dehydration but only needed 1 bag. Just was really weak and dizzy.

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #2
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Drop in growth, is this a lot?

U/S can be off too. When they did one for ds at around 30wks they said he was in the 20% for growth and very small. I measured small throught the end BUT he was born 7.6 so def not small. I wouldnt worry it only seems like your lo is a few days smaller. This preg I am measuring 2 wks bigger so for 31wks I am measuring 33
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:
Re: Drop in growth, is this a lot?

Since you have history of IUGR, I could see why you'd be worried. How often do you have growth u/s? I would ask to have another in a week or two and see how the growth looks from your last u/s. Since he's been right on track so far, it's possible that he was in a position that didn't allow the tech to get accurate measurements. I don't think I'd start to worry too much unless there were 2-3 u/s over a few weeks that were all showing that the baby's growth is slowing down.

As for the stomach flu, if you're not dehydrated now and your amniotic fluid levels are good, then I'm sure the baby is fine. There are plenty of mamas who are sick the entire pregnancy and have healthy babies.
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote