Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Baby is on the small side....

According to the my u/s today, my baby is about 5lbs 6 oz at 37 weeks and one day. The NST and U/S looked fine other than the baby being on the small side. They wouldn't be too concerned if my baby hadn't measured about the same 2 or 3 weeks ago, by the same u/s tech. This was at Maternal Fetal Medicine, and I've been going weekly for u/s because I have gestational diabetes. The doctors say they would almost expect to see the opposite in a diabetic patient, having a larger baby. The doctor at MFM is going to call my OB and talk with him about it, she thinks I shouldn't go much past 38 weeks if it seems the baby isn't growing. I'm not sure if they are going to call me today, after the MFM doctor calls my OB. She know I have an appointment on Monday, so I'm thinking they wait until then to make any suggestions. I know that u/s can be inaccurate, but just looking for opinions. TIA!

ETA...DD#1 was 5lbs 11oz at 36 weeks, 17.5 inches.
DD#2 was 6 13 at 38 weeks, 19 inches.

Advertisement

Last edited by staceyroo77; 01-30-2009 at 01:15 PM.
staceyroo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby is on the small side....

uhm..you have small babies. thats going to be a big part of it to begin with. i hope its fine but from JUST what you posted they sound like theyve got an issue over nothing. not saying it IS nothing since i havent seen anything about it, obviously, but like i said from only what you posted that sounds okay.
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Sounds like your placenta has stopped working. Same thing happened to me.
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First off why the U/S? Late U/s can be off, alot. In addition your other two babies were small. There has to be a weight spectrum for a reason. Not everyone will be average, some smaller, some bigger.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Originally, I was supposed to have NSTs twice a week b/c of the gestational diabetes. I refused pretty much b/c I didn't want to pay $30 co-pays twice a week in addition to test strips, insulin, syringes, etc. So, we decided that we would do a biophysical profile once a week instead. So, the u/s weren't necessarily to check the weight, but to check the baby overall, since I'm refusing twice a week NSTs. The doctor did say that the u/s was just an estimate, and she know they can be off some, but she did want to run it buy my OB and get his opinion too. She said, everything seems fine, but they are only slightly concerned b/c the weight hasn't changed. She said there can be differences even between two u/s tech doing the u/s, but he same person did these u/s.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
TabbySanchez07
Registered Users
seller

I am guessing they will do another one within a week or so and if there still is no weight gain they will induce you. My baby had a thin umbilical cord and was measuring a bit small. They were just going to keep an eye on his growth, but before my next u/s I went into labor at 35 weeks and my placenta was tearing off and had I not gone into labor he might have died. So its always best to play it safe. I am glad they are not going to the extreme but its good they want to play it safe.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #7
LizzyQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Did you tell the tech your previous baby's weights? I think that makes a big difference! Inducing at 38 weeks is scary stuff... hopefully everything is OK...
Old 01-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbySanchez07 View Post
I am guessing they will do another one within a week or so and if there still is no weight gain they will induce you.
probably, but be sure they KNOW your other babes weights, and also make for dang sure theyre sure something is wrong!
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:

If you're saying that the baby has not grown in 2-3 weeks, then that is reason to be concerned. If baby has just been on a small curve I wouldn't be as concerned. But not growing can be a big problem during pregnancy...I hate it when mamas here make it seem like doctors are always wrong. If they start talking induction, just ask to have an amnio done first to check baby's lung maturity.
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
Leininger27
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeums View Post
If you're saying that the baby has not grown in 2-3 weeks, then that is reason to be concerned. If baby has just been on a small curve I wouldn't be as concerned. But not growing can be a big problem during pregnancy...I hate it when mamas here make it seem like doctors are always wrong. If they start talking induction, just ask to have an amnio done first to check baby's lung maturity.
Agreed! Your baby should be gaining the largest amount of weight right now so to have not gained or grown at all in 2-3 weeks is pretty scary. The u/s can be off on weight, but its not going to keep giving you the same weight for no reason. The tech WILL be able to tell if the baby is growing...
Leininger27 is offline   Reply With Quote