Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-31-2009, 08:32 PM   #21
Belle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Baby is on the small side....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeums View Post
Ultrasound is the main diagnostic tool used for IUGR, which is a condition that can pose danger to an unborn baby. Weight estimates and the actual measurements of body parts are not one in the same.
I think that may be where the disconnect in this thread is (between people saying US can be off, but others saying that there's something worth getting looked at twice) -- the OP only mentioned a weight estimate and didn't say anything about body part measurements.

Then again, where do US techs get their weight estimates from? Isn't it from measuring the body parts?

Sorry to derail your thread original thread, Mama; hopefully everything is alright!

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 09:18 PM   #22
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
I think that may be where the disconnect in this thread is (between people saying US can be off, but others saying that there's something worth getting looked at twice) -- the OP only mentioned a weight estimate and didn't say anything about body part measurements.

Then again, where do US techs get their weight estimates from? Isn't it from measuring the body parts?

Sorry to derail your thread original thread, Mama; hopefully everything is alright!
My understanding is that there's some kind of formula the computer spits out that takes the belly circumference, femur length and head circumference in order to estimate body weight, but I could be wrong. In any event, I would be worried if the measurements or weight estimates were the same, or close to the same, week after week. If my baby were estimated at 3.5lbs at 34 weeks and then 5lbs at 37 weeks, I wouldn't be concerned at all because that's 1/2lb gain each week. If baby were estimated at 5lbs, 4oz at 34 weeks and then 5lbs, 8oz at 37 weeks, I would worry about that and ask to be monitored more closely. Maybe I'm just overly cautious, given my history...I just don't think it's worth taking any chances.
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #23
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, I'm sick now. Last night I went to get a bedtime snack and gave myself my evening insulin. When I sat down to eat I felt really dizzy, so I check my bs and it was 39. I ate my snack and had some juice, my bs came up to 68 eventually. Then I threw up, and went to bed. I was almost asleep, when my DH (who was concerned) came in to check on my and said "How is your blood sugar?" He pretty much woke me up and had me check it and it was 36. I had some of my girls gummy snacks and keep them down for a few hours, long enough to get my bs back in a normal range. I'm so glad he came to check on me! So, now I've been throwing up since last night. I'm not sure if this is some virus or possible the start of labor. I've been having irregular contractions though. I know I'm somewhat dehydrated though, and I haven't taken any insulin since I can't keep anything down. I called the OB on call, and he said just to stay home for now and keep trying to drink fluid and check my bs before and after I eat. So, well see what happens.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #24
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:

Can you keep anything down? I would try some Gatorade since it has a little sugar in it and will help keep your electrolytes in balance. Make sure you eat whatever you can. I would have stopped the insulin too, that's why I had to stop taking Glyburide.
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #25
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeums View Post
Can you keep anything down? I would try some Gatorade since it has a little sugar in it and will help keep your electrolytes in balance. Make sure you eat whatever you can. I would have stopped the insulin too, that's why I had to stop taking Glyburide.
Not really, I had a piece of toast this morning and it came back up within an hr. My bs was 96 right after though. I may have to try the Gatorade, that's why my DH has been telling me to do...I'm really scared to try to eat anything....

ETA, I've been sipping on water since last night, keeping it with me...
Old 02-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #26
Serendipitous Creationz
Registered Users
Formerly: ****mom
seller

My Mood:

If it makes you feel any better I was told I was having a small baby. They said I'd be lucky if she was 5lbs. She weighed in at 7lbs 13oz.

I know what you're talking about is baby NOT growing and that's a scary thing! I'll everything is ok and you deliver a healthy baby in the next few weeks.

HUGS!!
Serendipitous Creationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #27
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So, I just got back from OB triage. I was very dehydrated and given 2.5 liters of IV fluid. I've been contractions since early this afternoon and am 1-2 cm dialated, long and thick. They went ahead and sent me home since I hadn't changed in about 3 hrs. I was finally able eat a little and keep it down. If I keep having contractions, I'll probably go back in the morning.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #28
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Good luck! Hope this is it for you and your baby arrives perfectly healthy and happy!
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:30 AM   #29
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, the contractions are now not much at all, oh well, we'll see what happens. I have an appointment w/ my OB this afternoon.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #30
MommyScott
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyroo77 View Post
Well, the contractions are now not much at all, oh well, we'll see what happens. I have an appointment w/ my OB this afternoon.

do they plan on doing another u/s this afternoon?

God hasn't called me to be successful. He's called me to be faithful. - Mother Teresa
MommyScott is offline   Reply With Quote