Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Spelling, tell me what you do!

My son is 1st grade, our spelling just doesn't feel *right* to me.

Tell me what you do!

Advertisement

Last edited by Mommy2JJ; 10-22-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

Re: Spelling, tell me what you do!

i'm not really understanding the question...what is the problem? Do you not like the spelling lists they send home?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwiamandaiwi View Post
i'm not really understanding the question...what is the problem? Do you not like the spelling lists they send home?
She is homeschooling, so no lists are being sent home.

My Ds and I are using magnetic letters for practicing spelling, but he is in K.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you using a specific curriculum? My kids are older, but use generic lists from homespelling words. The first day we go through the list and I make sure they understand what the words mean and they write them two or three times, the second day, they put the words in ABC order. Day 3 they play spelling games on spelling city or a couple that are on my kindle. Day 4 is either dictation sentences or they make up their own sentences using the words correctly. Day 5 is spelling test. Any words missed go on to next week's list and if I see something that they are misspelling in their writing, I add that to the list as well. In 6th grade, DD1 has 20-25 words a week and DD2 in 4th grade has 16-20.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
slingmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've taught public school ( K and 3rd) and we have homeschooled since my oldest was in 2nd grade. He is now in 10th.
My best advice is...
Throw the spelling lists/ curriculum away.
Spelling and vocabulary ( and pretty much every other subject) is best learned through READING. Focus on having your child love reading. Have them read whatever they want. Comics, picture books, chapter books, lego magazines, books on tape paired w the book,etc...

It is researched proven that the best spellers are avid readers !

When we see the word over and over again through reading, the correct spelling of the word in engrained in our brain. That's how, when we mispell a word, we can tell that it doesn't "look right." I have used this technique with all of my children, 10th grade through my youngest in K, and they are all èxcellent spellers with a wider vocabulary than I have.
Feel free to message me if you'd like talk.

Last edited by slingmama4; 10-22-2012 at 02:27 PM.
slingmama4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
iwiamandaiwi
Registered Users

oh I'm sorry. I didn't notice that this was posted in the homeschooling forum, lol
Old 10-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there!

We don't use a curriculum but every once in a while my oldest DD will get on spelling city. I will just look up a spelling list for the grade she would be in if she were going to school and let her go.

I really like Slingmama4 comment about getting rid of the spelling list. Think about how often those words are memorized for the test and forgotten 2 weeks later. I also agree w/ looking @ a word and knowing it doesn't look right.

Some kids and adults are natural great spellers and others aren't. There are many different things each of us can do to try to get them to learn more vocabulary. Reading and writing are really good things to practice spelling.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Our options for a homeschool umbrella here are very VERY limited so we are being pushed very hard by our reviewer to do a spelling program. I have opted to comply. The girls are great spellers so we use a list from K12 reader for their grade and do something similar to school.
Monday-pretest
Tuesday-pyramids
Wednesday-Comprehension activity from the K12 reader site that matches the spelling list
Thursday-5X each
Friday-test

I only have them practice the words they miss and DD1 who is in 5th grade looks up any words she does not already know the meaning of.

DS is a different story Poor guy has really been struggling and we have been tweeking every week to find the right thing for him. He is a very visual learner so I make flash cards with his words, we play hangman, he does word searches or unscramble activities. Last week he got a 100% on his Friday test I would have jumped up and down for a 70%.