Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

sugar addiction

Ok so I am at the point in my life where I have decided that it is really time to get healthy. I have a major sugar addiction. MAJOR. I need some advice on how to get off sugar. My biggest problem is that I'm not sure I'm going to have my husbands support. He is just as bad as I am but has no interest in making changes So talk to me about giving up sugar for good.

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
agl
Registered Users

Re: sugar addiction

Good for you! sugar is toxic! Do it cold turkey. Make a long shopping list of alternatives to the meals you eat. And make sure you're eating lots of protein, nuts, legumes, vegetables and fruits. Apples and berries are good low sugar fruits. Try to stay away from processed foods since they have a lot of added sugar. And maybe try to find a friend to do it with for accountability? It's too hard to do it alone!
agl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
keonli
Registered Users
seller

You can eliminate processed sugars but still have sweets like fruits! I weaned off sugar several times, and while it wasn't easy in the beginning, it was definitely doable. I did it without the support of DH or anyone else. The first few times, I weaned off all sugars (including fruits) and processed carbs. That was the most difficult.

First, plan out your menus in advance. I used to always get a caramel iced coffee first thing in the morning. I had to stop that. And I stopped cold turkey. I switched to water or iced tea with no sugar instead. Having your meals plans and within reach makes it easier.

I would put snack sized fruits and veggies in baggies in the fridge so I could easily grab them instead of turning to sweets.

Secondly, realize that the first 3-4 days will be hard. Insanely hard. You will go through withdrawal. You will get awful headaches. You will get tired. You will feel like you're going through withdrawal from a powerful drug. I would go for walks just to perk myself up. I also took Tylenol because my headaches were that bad. Not only was I weaning off sugar, but I was also weaning off caffeine. After 4 days, I was ok. I had way more energy too.

Thirdly, keep track of your progress. Write down what you're consuming daily. Seeing that you've made it a day or two without sugar really helps you keep going.

If you have cravings, try to stay active and drink water instead. Also realize that if you mess up, it's not the end of the world.

Good luck!
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

^Absolutely agree with the posters above! You can do it! I recently did this with just my coffee and tea (my last 2 sugary things to cut). Oh man did I think it was super GROSS not having sugar in either of them, as I was a light and sweet kind of girl And sweet tea was my drink of choice. But after a while you get used to it and I'd choose black tea or coffee with just cream any day! When I do slip up and get a regular coffee at the coffee shop THINKING I will like it, it tastes extremely gross to me- because of the sugar! It's hard in the beginning but it does get easier, I absolutely promise you. After you cut it out, on special occasions when you do have a little bit of sugar, it'll be the only thing you taste and it'll taste weird to you.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you need structure, there are a few diets that focus on cutting sugar.

Sugar busters http://www.webmd.com/diet/sugar-busters-what-it-is

Flat belly http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/flat-belly-diet

Flat belly is more like a diabetic diet, but it is going to give you the desired results of cutting sugar.

If neither of those appeal to you, look into treating yourself like a diabetic. There are lots of eating guidelines out there.

Good luck. The beginning is going to suck, but you'll be grateful you did it.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the withdrawal symptoms to a minimum? I know to drink tons of water but is there anything else.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the withdrawal symptoms to a minimum? I know to drink tons of water but is there anything else.
Sugar free peppermints.
Lemon or lime in your water. Or even a slice of an orange.
A good amount of willpower
Ice chips.
And I use scentsy/candles in my house- if you do too- during this period don't use sugary smells like apple pie, sugar cookie, and the like. That's all you'll smell and it'll make you want sugar. Just a tip I never realized when doing this.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

yup, I agree with the pp's. Going on south beach diet helped me with my sugar addiction and helped me rethink how I eat and recognize sugar related symptoms. Def. go cold turkey. I wouldn't even use substitutes for the time being. The taste of it on your tongue makes you crave more, regardless of it's blood sugar impact. Also, very very important is to eat as little processed food as possible. Even the "diet" stuff is loaded with sugar and salt and it gets you back in that ugly cycle.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
yup, I agree with the pp's. Going on south beach diet helped me with my sugar addiction and helped me rethink how I eat and recognize sugar related symptoms. Def. go cold turkey. I wouldn't even use substitutes for the time being. The taste of it on your tongue makes you crave more, regardless of it's blood sugar impact. Also, very very important is to eat as little processed food as possible. Even the "diet" stuff is loaded with sugar and salt and it gets you back in that ugly cycle.
Ive been doing a little research since posting this and I think I'm going to do veggies protein and healthy fats for 21days to get everything out of my system. Then slowly start adding in berries and low sugar fruit. The possibly start adding whole grains depending on how I'm feeling. Ive been flirting with the idea of eating a primal or paleo diet but I'm not sure if I can do it. I just know something has to change.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I think that's a good plan. I also read (and found it to be true) that you should avoid eating fruit for breakfast if you are prone to those cravings because it can get you craving all day.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote