Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
Firerose_RCM
Registered Users
Formerly: ClothGirl21

Need help figuring out workout clothes

My exercising right now consists of using the ellipitical and doing random workout videos. I wear yoga pants with a fitted t-shirt or cami which works out fine for this type of workout and the room temp. Before it got too cold outside I was jogging/running (depending on who I was working out with) and could not find anything comfortable to wear. On days when it was below 50 degrees outside I wore a regular bra with a fitted t-shirt under a hoodie with yoga pants (this was most of the days) and the bra was aggravating but the hoodie kept my shirt in place and helped with the bra issue. The pants were fine but I tended to get hot pretty quickly in them. On the days it was above 50 degrees outside I wore cotton twill shorts with an elastic waistband and a fitted t-shirt, sometimes with a regular bra and sometimes with a sports bra. A regular bra was horrible without the hoodie and my sports bras didn't hold the way I would have liked. The shorts rode up my legs and the t-shirt also kept riding up and showing too much skin. We have some 50 degree days coming up and spring will be here soon enough so I need to figure out what to wear when I start jogging/running again. I'm thinking that loose cotton jersey or fleece shorts would be ideal for me? I'm thinking the looseness would help keep me from overheating and prevent the riding up issue. As for the bra issue, the sports bras I own have no padding or support and have flimsy straps so i'm going to buy some designed with more support and better straps and see if that helps. I still need to figure out a shirt though. I'm thinking something long and fitted because I know I would hate a loose shirt flapping around me and the length of the shirt would help with the riding up and showing skin issue, but should I try a cami style shirt or try and find a longer t-shirt? Which would do better in higher temps? Are there any other options for shorts that would work better without riding up? I'm not looking for specific brands but just suggestions for what types of clothes I should be looking for. Thanks for any help!

Advertisement

Soon to be TTC #2
Firerose_RCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
creative_catch
Registered Users

Re: Need help figuring out workout clothes

I have the same shorts-riding-up problem... I've ended up wearing spandex leggings or bike shorts under my nylon/poly shorts. (mostly b/c i like having pockets for keys, etc.) Leggings are great for chilly days w/o too much over heating. For tops there's some cool sports bra tops, or nike running singlets, which are extra long and shouldn't ride up. sometimes even wearing two sports bras helps support! (or reg bra plus sports bra)
creative_catch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'd get some running capris. They fit snug but they help me from getting chafed between the legs.

The Champion brand at Target has excellent sports bras with lots of support.

I'd get shirts that have the wicking material....not cotton. I don't like mine fitted around my midsection because I'm self conscious. I buy them a little loose but not loose enough that they would rub during my run.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay, toss anything cotton. Cotton is the enemy. It chafes, holds moisture and just plain sucks.

Next, invest in a good bra. What size are you? If you've got larger girls, buy an Enell. If you're a in the B-C range, head over to the moving comfort site and browse through the different bras. If you're an A, buy something a bit of compression. Titleninesports.com is another good place to buy.

What to wear: always dress like it is 20 degrees warmer.

If shorts are bothering you, try a skirt. (I ran my last marathon in a skirt!) capris are nice too.

Buy a shirt made of technical fabric. DO NOT WEAR COTTON.

You can find lots of good starter pieces at target. If you want to build your wardrobe and buy stuff that is nicer quality, try underarmour, lululemon and title nine sports.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
savingmomof2boys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad View Post
Okay, toss anything cotton. Cotton is the enemy. It chafes, holds moisture and just plain sucks.

Next, invest in a good bra. What size are you? If you've got larger girls, buy an Enell. If you're a in the B-C range, head over to the moving comfort site and browse through the different bras. If you're an A, buy something a bit of compression. Titleninesports.com is another good place to buy.

What to wear: always dress like it is 20 degrees warmer.

If shorts are bothering you, try a skirt. (I ran my last marathon in a skirt!) capris are nice too.

Buy a shirt made of technical fabric. DO NOT WEAR COTTON.

You can find lots of good starter pieces at target. If you want to build your wardrobe and buy stuff that is nicer quality, try underarmour, lululemon and title nine sports.
I 100% agree with this. Old Navy also has some awesome active wear that is pretty inexpensive.

If you have problems with shorts, try capris. There are capris out there that are designed to be worn in warm weather. I know underarmour has some nice heat gear.

Join me on Swag Bucks to earn Free Giftcards!

Also Earning CASH with Jingit!!
savingmomof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ditto on going with tech materials over cotton. Most of my work-out gear has come from target and old navy with the exception of my runningskirts.com skirts.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

at the risk of sounding stupid here, why not cotton?

I run in running shorts from Walmart, really good sports bras to eliminiate bounce and a cheap cotton tank. Maybe my runs are too short? Lately I've been going about 30 min and I'm working toward 45 min.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cotton chafes
Cotton retains moisture instead of letting it evaporate.
Cotton is heavy
Cotton socks will cause blisters.

It is the enemy.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
Firerose_RCM
Registered Users
Formerly: ClothGirl21

I am a 36D and I checked out the Enell bras but they are way over my budget. I'm not sure what type of sports bra would work best for me but i'm thinking a padded bra sized down for compression, with a wide bottom band, would be good? I still can't decide on a top to wear over it though. I need something that will wick away moisture but is long. I like the skirts from runningskirts.com with the briefs built into them but $50 is more than I was wanting to spend. Is there anything similar but cheaper or a place to get deals on them? If I can't find those cheaper I think i'm going to try and find wicking or mesh running shorts with a wide bottom or some wicking lightweight capris. Someone mentioned cotton socks causing problems? Cotton socks are all I own and i've never had a problem with them. Do they only start to cause problems at greater distances or something?
Soon to be TTC #2
Firerose_RCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Try eBay for Enell. I picked up one for $35. Or try here
http://www.movingcomfort.com/Sports-...efault,sc.html

Moving comfort makes an excellent bra.

Target carries a skirt, it runs about $30.

Try a men's shirt. They run a bit longer.

Don't wear cotton socks. Buy socks meant for exercise. You can find those at target too.