Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

Help! Need some ideas.

So my son turned 3 in March. We started potty training him last summer when he was 2.

He's always been great with #2. Takes himself to the potty unprompted when he has to go #2, and I think he's had maybe two total #2 accidents since the get go, and those both had to do with him being sick.

However, he's always had issues going pee. It's like he just doesn't care when he's wet.

Anyway, he had gotten better over time and was taking himself to the potty for the most part, but recently he's gotten worse. He and my husband went on a road trip together for a couple weeks and since then he will almost never take himself to the potty (unless he also needs to go poop). Plus he somehow decided that the downstairs toilet is the worst and will only use the upstairs one. When he first got back from the trip it was like a power struggle every time I asked him to go. He's gotten a little better, but I have to tell him to go every 2-3 hours. (Usually in the form of, "Before we do X, you need to go use the potty"). If I forget, he will have wet pants.
I had put away his training potty just before the trip, so that could be one cause. Or it could just be that he had someone else taking him to the potty during those 2 weeks and he got used it. Or maybe it has to do with me being pregnant.

As a side note, these are not full on accidents (full on ones he usually has pee dripping down his legs and puddling on the floor) more like he waits too long to go and then his undies get wet, sometimes his pants too. I think he mostly has a hard time stopping play to go use the potty in time. I've tried taking away a toy when he wets, but so far that's had no effect (he even seems cheerful about it, lol). Every time he has an accident I ask him where pee goes and he says in the potty, I tell him that when he gets that feeling he needs to go right away, and that his toys will still be there (we also sing the daniel tiger potty song).
He also seems to do fine at bed time. Every once in a while (not often) he'll wake up with a little bit of a wet spot, but nothing too bad.

I guess I just need to set a timer and hope that he eventually gets it? Maybe have a reward chart? I'm just not sure that he'd understand a long term reward chart, but who knows.

Advertisement

apeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help! Need some ideas.

Have you tried letting him go naked? A lot of kids do better naked. If he does, I would do that for a couple weeks until he gets back in the habit of stopping what he's doing to take himself potty.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:22 PM   #3
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Have you tried letting him go naked? A lot of kids do better naked. If he does, I would do that for a couple weeks until he gets back in the habit of stopping what he's doing to take himself potty.
That's how we started. I probably should go back to that. I think I'd have to clear out a day or two and sequester us on one floor so I can keep a closer eye on him.
I think I've been resistant to that because it feels like backtracking and he's a bit of a nudist. I've been trying to work on him actually putting his pants back on by himself after going potty, lol.
But he obviously seems to have some kind of issues with the basics, so I guess backtracking may be needed.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:34 PM   #4
JLM1980
Registered Users

Great job potty training! For my son, bedtime and #2 were the hardest. I do know that my oldest son did struggle some when I was pregnant and then after our second son was born. I am a SAHM, so I have just gone with the flow. I too have noticed that if he is playing sometimes he wont want to take a break for the potty. I usually use it as an opportunity to change activities. I know that we did have a period of time that we had him just in a t-shirt with his kiddy potty near the area he played and had a timer for every 15-30 minutes. That we did for 2-3 days straight through and by the third he was doing it on his own. What is your advice on the bedtime training? We have him go potty before bed and he is in a pull up at bedtime. He is fine at nap time. It is just over night that he struggles to stay dry. He does get a little water before bed because he is thirsty.
JLM1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:44 AM   #5
apeeling
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLM1980 View Post
Great job potty training! For my son, bedtime and #2 were the hardest. I do know that my oldest son did struggle some when I was pregnant and then after our second son was born. I am a SAHM, so I have just gone with the flow. I too have noticed that if he is playing sometimes he wont want to take a break for the potty. I usually use it as an opportunity to change activities. I know that we did have a period of time that we had him just in a t-shirt with his kiddy potty near the area he played and had a timer for every 15-30 minutes. That we did for 2-3 days straight through and by the third he was doing it on his own. What is your advice on the bedtime training? We have him go potty before bed and he is in a pull up at bedtime. He is fine at nap time. It is just over night that he struggles to stay dry. He does get a little water before bed because he is thirsty.
Well it's 2 months later, I had my baby at the beginning of October, so at this point I don't think I'm going to be doing any potty boot camp anytime soon, haha.

But for night, he kind of got it on his own. At first we'd go in and put him on his little potty when my husband and I went to bed (so around 10 or 11), eventually he started refusing that so we stopped doing it.

Now that the baby is here he's started having more accidents at night, but it doesn't bother me too much. I think he's just being woken up by the baby in the night and that's throwing him off. It's been a month since she was born and he's already doing much better with it.

Meanwhile... I mentioned to my MIL that we might get one of those toddler seats to install on the toilet, so he'd used the downstairs toilet. Well she bought one on amazon and it worked like a charm! He'll now use the downstairs toilet.

He's also gotten more willing to go potty standing up, which has made it easier for him to pull up his pants on his own. So I think he's getting it, slowly.

Last edited by apeeling; 11-11-2017 at 04:46 AM.