Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #1
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Communication delay and potty learning

My kiddo will be 2 in January and I want to start a little bit of potty learning. He has sat on the potty many of times but never actually used the potty. So he doesn't mind it and knows what it's for just has never actually used it.

Anywho, he is currently in an early intervention program for communication delays and has a speech therapist. I know communication is a big part of potty learning. Does any one have experience potty teaching a toddler that has communication delays? Any tips?

Thanks!

Advertisement

kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: Communication delay and potty learning

I don't, but my kid has pretty much no communication (at least not regarding potty) and he does most of his pottying and 99% of his pooping on the potty. We basically just have him on a schedule - we put him on every 1-1.5 hrs, and by now he knows what to do when we put him on, so he goes almost right away. BUT he has no way of telling us when he needs to go, despite our trying the sign and saying specific words 100 times a day. So for poop, he almost always wets his pants before he poops and since it's off his schedule I usually take that to mean he needs to poop (there must be something biological going on here but I don't know what). So, we count on basically one accident a day, and it's generally at a random time of day. Makes me think I have no idea what I'm doing 😉 so maybe don't take my word for anything. Do you think he could do the sign? It's on YouTube and is very simple, although my son has never tried it. I do it to him when he goes, on the way to the potty, whenever we talk about potty, and I take his hand and make it do the sign a lot too, but he has never done it on his own.

There's another lady online that uses her own symbol which is an open hand patting the chest. If he would do a sign, you can pick whatever sign you like or make one up. But...it hasn't worked for us, just seems like it should.
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I think so long as y'all have an agreed upon word or sign, it shouldn't be a problem. However, I also think you should wait until he is really, truly ready to use the potty. For a lot of boys, that is closer to age 3.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Check out GoDiaperFree.com
He's 21 months, he can totally "say" that he needs to go. More often, the child tells you by their actions and behavior rather than by their words. If your gut is saying he's ready to explore pottying.,Trust yourself and give baby the tools to potty.

Last edited by DreamInGreen; 11-02-2017 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Edit
DreamInGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:33 PM   #5
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter didn't start talking until she was almost 3 and I just potty trained her the way I did with my other kids
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote