Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
3Daisies
Registered Users

SAHM's - $ saving tip regarding car insurance

Unless I'm overlooking, I don't see a special SAHM's board to post this on...

I wanted to share some cool $ saving info on what I happened to find out today, thanks to my mother. Had she not said anything, I would never have thought of this which is why I wanted to share it with you all.

I've been bedrest for the last month and will continue until our little girl is born in Feb then I plan to resign from my job to be a SAHM. Today my mother mentioned to me I could get my car's classification on our insurance policy changed from "commuter car" (used to drive to/from work more than 50% of the time) to "pleasure use" (used to drive to/from work less than 50% of the time). Changing the classification is saving us $41/year! This would never have crossed my mind!

Just in case any of you SAHMers had not thought of this, I wanted to share!

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
amrijane128
Registered Users
seller

Re: SAHM's - $ saving tip regarding car insurance

Really?! I thought that a "pleasure" car would run you more in insurance than a "commuter" car! No way! Now i wish I had said pleasure!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Elk4322
Registered Users

My Mood:

great tip! I'll have to call my insurance to see if that helps. As a SAHM, I try to look for something every month to help save money.

So far, I've saved us money by breast feeding, switching to cloth diapers, using coupons & fuel perks, and making my own baby food!
Elk4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
3Daisies
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk4322 View Post
great tip! I'll have to call my insurance to see if that helps. As a SAHM, I try to look for something every month to help save money.

So far, I've saved us money by breast feeding, switching to cloth diapers, using coupons & fuel perks, and making my own baby food!

I also plan to BF and I've got my PF cloth diaper stash ready and waiting! Haven't thought about making my own baby food but will have to look into that.

After you tallied off the ways you save $, I was brainstorming on ways I save $. One thing that popped in my mind was the HomeScan shoppers panel I (and my mom) belong to. Very simple - HomeScan sends you a scanner and you just scan all purchases made, then transmit online. They record consumers spending habits then give the info to retailers to help them better decide what products to sell. This saves you $$ because you earn gift points that you can "cash in" at any time and order from their gift catalog. My mom saved 79,000 points & just ordered us a jogger stroller that happened to be in their last yrs gift catalog. Didn't cost her a dime! Anyway, if you're interested:
http://www.homescansignup.com/homesc...4/&afid=refid=
Old 01-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

There is a Thrifty forum, that you should also post this in Sara
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
3Daisies
Registered Users

Ah, great idea! Thanks, I just posted over there!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
MommaBunny
10% of Profits Donated to Wildlife
seller

My Mood:

LMBO... The idea of being able to afford a car for each of us cracks me up. We've got one car that we got for $600 and I'm content paying insurance for it alone.