Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2017, 08:45 PM   #11
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Early Potty Training - question and complaint :)

Ok I do not do "early potty training" or EC. I start about two years old. I mean I do sit them on the potty before then, usually before a bath, but that's it. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

But 16 months old just seems really young to be able to tell you he needs to go, pull his pants down, go, and then get pants back up. I know there are probably thousands of people who will say otherwise but it sounds like to me he has either done all he can do at this age OR maybe he needs a break.

When my kids have mastered a skill and then suddenly have trouble with it, they need a break from thinking about it. Then after that, they are good again.

Just a thought.

Advertisement

MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #12
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Yeah, I agree. I definitely don't think he'll be ready to do the pants for a long time - especially jeans or something. I'm just thinking - he clearly knows when he has to go, because if he has no pants on he walks to the little potty, backs himself up onto it, and goes. So ideally I need a way for him to tell me he has to go, and I guess he's just not able to yet. But that's where I was going with the pants thing - maybe since he can't tell me I could figure out a way he could just get his pants off or get started in his own so I can see and help. I'm good with helping him for a couple years, I just don't know when to.

I also read somewhere online that some people's kids sort of regress when they're ready for more control themselves. I can see the logic either way - maybe he needs a break or maybe he needs to be allowed to do more himself. We do let him flush and shut the lid and walk there himself, but maybe he needs to decide when himself. Or maybe I should give him a break. Hmph. Parenting is tricky.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #13
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Yeah, I agree. I definitely don't think he'll be ready to do the pants for a long time - especially jeans or something. I'm just thinking - he clearly knows when he has to go, because if he has no pants on he walks to the little potty, backs himself up onto it, and goes. So ideally I need a way for him to tell me he has to go, and I guess he's just not able to yet. But that's where I was going with the pants thing - maybe since he can't tell me I could figure out a way he could just get his pants off or get started in his own so I can see and help. I'm good with helping him for a couple years, I just don't know when to.

I also read somewhere online that some people's kids sort of regress when they're ready for more control themselves. I can see the logic either way - maybe he needs a break or maybe he needs to be allowed to do more himself. We do let him flush and shut the lid and walk there himself, but maybe he needs to decide when himself. Or maybe I should give him a break. Hmph. Parenting is tricky.

I think potty training in general is tricky!!!!

When people say to me they could never homeschool, I ask if they have potty trained a child. They say yes, then I say, "you can absolutely homeschool if you have done that! Potty training is hard!!!!"
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote