Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
S/O what do you put in your child's "quiet church bag?"

Title says it all- just looking for ideas! Thanks!

Advertisement

I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I like the color wonder pads so I don't have to worry about marker on curch clothes. Occasionally I'll google specific coloring pages (Dora, princess, etc.) and print those out. I always print out two of each design so there is no fighting. I keep planning on getting some "paper" dolls that the clothes stick on with magnets. Books (ones with moving parts if possible) and other small toys. Whatever is in the church bag only gets played with during the service. There is also a snack bag with pretzels or goldfish - one for each child - that they get once we've gotten through the first half of the service.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: S/O what do you put in your child's "quiet church bag?"

Wikki sticks are the coolest thing ever. My kids are 6, 4, and 2, and that's all we need to bring now because they have been to church their whole lives and are pretty good now. They all love wikki sticks, and so do my husband and I! They are creative, open ended, and you can make almost anything out of them.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
pcjs
Registered Users

Not a church bag but if we are going out to the doctor/long meal, an ipod/pad (bad mom), a few books, cars, an thing that you write on but erases (forget the name), snacks, flash cards, and rotate out a few other little toys.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd1 loves the doodling books that they've started a picture and she has to finish it. That and a book and she's set.

Dd2 is trickier - she has a harder time sitting still. She needs stickers to occupy her for long. She'll color for a few minutes and then do stickers. She has a magnetic scene with kittens she sometimes plays with and sometimes not. She loves books but for what ever reason refuses to look at a book in church. For her, I really should look on etsy for busy book ideas and see about making her something a bit more hands on - it is much more likely to hold her attention.

Ds still heads to the nursery. He sometimes comes in with us for 10-15 min and colors but mostly loves getting to go play. There is (or used to be) a star wars busy book on etsy that I need to buy the pattern for and make for him sometime in the next few months when he starts aging out of the nursery.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

touch and feel books, race cars, stuffed animals....I think I would add a discovery bag if I could ever get to church with the 2 little ones
Old 06-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

My kids are 11, 9 and 7 and we stop church bags when they are 4. We would put coloring books and crayons, a couple of religious themed age appropriate books and a stuffed animal. No food or other toys that would become noisy. By between 3 and 4 we are phasing the bags out and the kids are participating at least in the standing and sitting of Mass. We start having them follow along with the words in the songbook and start pointing out parts of Mass.

They start attending preschool at our parochial school at 3 years old, so they are exposed to the parts of Mass in age appropriate ways in school as well. So, that might make it easier for us.

By 5, we expect them to participate - stand, sit kneel, and begin repeating some of the language and prayers.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
shanree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

for lobby waiting, out in town errands and such we bring leappads/leapsters, tablets, ipods, etc. At church though, we require actively listening to the message and participating in the worship, so no toys/coloring in church for us!
JESUS LOVING Wife to Les, Full-Time Mama to Naomi (17) Elijah (11) Ian (8) Jake/Xander/Rachel (7yr old triplets) Aiden (5) and Benjamin (2) ....Homebirthing, EBF, ERF, CD'ing, BW'ing, HS'ing, Co-Sleeping, No-Circ, No Vax, 3 natural VBAC Mama. & now I am a CPST!!!!
shanree is offline   Reply With Quote