Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2016, 06:25 AM   #1
doughpat
Registered Users
seller

Emergency vs. planned

Hi all-

Curious about the differences between an 'emergency' C-section vs. a 'planned' one. Obviously the contexts/situations are very different, and I'm sure the stress levels are much higher with the emergency version--but I'm curious about fundamental differences.

Thank you for any information-

Ryan

Advertisement

doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #2
doughpat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Emergency vs. planned

bump.

Nobody?
Old 05-02-2016, 12:02 AM   #3
crystalk2016
Registered Users

From what my midwives told me, very few are an actual "emergency". Mine certainly was unexpected but at 41+3 weeks my water broke but after 15hrs of labor and pitocin, I was still not dialated so I had a c-section. It wasn't rushed or stressed, a conversation was had and everything proceeded smoothly. I think many women call this an emergency but in my mind if you're not rushing to the OR, it's not an emergency. This would be very scary to me.

A planned c could be for many reasons and I think is very similar to my experience where you go in and it's an easy process.

I'm not sure I answered your question. Are you wanting to know what causes emergency vs planned cesarian births?
crystalk2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:47 AM   #4
doughpat
Registered Users
seller

Hi--I think you partially answered my question, though perhaps a doctor is the only person who might have the level of detail I'm looking for.

I want to know if there is any difference between the actual surgical procedure when a C-section is scheduled in advance, vs. done 'on the spot'.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:00 AM   #5
abh5e8
Registered Users

Yes, the procedure is a little different. Anaesthesia is different. There are actually the planned or scheduled sections before labor starts, sections dine after labor starts but not emergency and those that are truly emergency. As in someone is dying so get the baby out in 90 seconds. I would talk with your doctor. Details will vary based on the specific situation.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #6
partygrrl
Registered Users

I was in labor for 4 1/2 days, determined to do a homebirth, when baby showed signs of distress (meconium discharge). The anesthetic and c section procedure were exactly the same, they just happened much faster! They did the initial intake and evaluation, physical exam and strapped a baby monitor on, wheeled me in to the OR to start an IV, gave me an epidural, and operated, and delivered, all in less than 2 hours. I wasn't bleeding to death or anything, but I found out afterwards that all of the medical staff were thinking it was a HUGE emergency. Thanks to everyone we both turned out great!
partygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Depends on the emergency. Baby one was an emergency. My husband was being prepared to deal with a loss as I was wheeled into the operating room. Outlook was not good.

Baby 2 was an 'emergency' only in that it wasn't planned. It was forced on me by a close minded idiot doctor.

Baby 3 was sort of an emergency but also planned. Emergency in that his situation dictated he come a week earlier than his planned c-section.

In my experience, the first and last were easy to deal with emotionally. No guilt, no feelings of failure, nothing negative. Simply relief for the advantages modern medicine provides. Baby 2 was, in my opinion, medical rape. Nearly 13 years later and it still hurts.

As far as recovery? Not sure. Each c-section was progressively easier to recover from and less painful than the last. I believe that is because your body 'learns' from the past experience and reacts more mildly. I also knew better what to expect and that did help. With baby 3 I also chose to remain in hospital 4 days versus 2 days with babies 1 and 2.

For milk production the first 2 my milk came in on day 2. With both of them I was in active labor before being cut. Baby 3 I was not in labor. Milk came in on day 4. That was rough on both baby and me. Now, that delay could have been age. He came 8 years almost to the day after baby 2. Or it could have been because labor signaled the body to prepare for milk production with babies 1 and 2. As I wasn't in labor with baby 3 maybe it took longer to signal milk production? I don't really know for sure though.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just saw your second post. A huge difference I found was definitely in the anesthesia used. An epidural was used for the emergency sections. The planned had a different one used. I was told fewer adverse side effects and more likely to he truly effective. After that? Probably the speed. Baby one was a speedy delivery. Baby 2 took longer but primarily due to baby being stuck in the birth canal I had been pushing. Baby 3 was definitely slower. Thankfully, his wasn't an emergency in the way baby 1 was as I have extensive scar tissue. It takes the doctor's a long time to safely cut through to baby without doing damage to me. Other than that, I believe both are the same.

One thing. Depending on just what is going on, I have heard the doctors could do end up doing an up and down incision. Faster and wider for quicker removal of baby. Could be wrong but I was told it is always an option if the need arises. Generally it doesn't.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #9
Bellaroo
Registered Users

I think the biggest difference would be the possibility, as qsefthuko said, that in an emergency there might be the need for a vertical incision. Also, the potential use of general anaesthetic instead of the regular epidural. Both options would lead to a longer recovery for the mum.
Bellaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #10
dancingriss
Registered Users

As far as anesthesia, I don't know the official names for the procedures, but there are two different types of epidurals. One does not go into the spinal cord - this is the normal type for vaginal births. In my 'emergency' c-section (less than five minutes to the procedure) there wasn't time for the normal epidural, so they had to go straight into the spinal cord. Mine was not like prolapsed cord emergency, but it was certainly anxiety inducing. In the event of extreme circumstances they could use general anesthesia like a PP mentioned. In which case you would be completely out and as far as I know the designated family member would not be allowed in the OR.
dancingriss is offline   Reply With Quote