View Poll Results: What safety precautions do you take in your home for your children?
Cabinet Latches 89 69.53%
Drawer Latches 41 32.03%
Baby gates 97 75.78%
Toilet Locks 12 9.38%
Outlet Covers 109 85.16%
Door handle covers 35 27.34%
Safe cleaning products 56 43.75%
Other - please explain 22 17.19%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #21
eirbjorn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What Child Safety Precautions Do You Take Within Your Home?

When the children were smaller I took everything that might hurt them, or that they might hurt, and put it in storage or in my closet. Bathrooms and my bedroom had doors closed and door knob covers on them. Kitchen was gated off. They were allowed in the kitchen if I was in there, and the cabinets with harmful/breakable items had latches, the others that they could play in did not. Bathroom cabinets had latches, too, they were only in the bathroom when I was with them, though.
This way they could explore and get into things, and I didn't have to worry about it or say "no" very often. Our home was a safe place for them to play with everything . I kept some things out (like picture books) to get them used to being "gentle" with things, but that was about it.

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #22
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

A lot of our baby proofing is more for my sanity than for her safety! I can only clean up the same pile of stuff so many times before I go bonkers But she has one cabinet in the kitchen with all the plastic stuff that she gets into. We were thinking about the toilet locks but usually when she gets into the toilet it's because I'm dumping her dipe into it and a lock wouldn't help. We keek the doorknob covers on the bathroom doors. I need to move my cleaning stuff from under the kitche sink b/c she can still squeeze her tiny hand past the lock.
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #23
Choose2bgr8
Registered Users
seller

Currently, we don't really have any of the above EXCEPT safer cleaning products.

When my eldest was little we didn't really have any of it either. She was a really easy going baby and when you told her no, she listened. We lived on a single floor house, no need for a baby gate.

When my youngest was little we had baby gates, outlet covers and safer products (forgot to mention, didn't have these for eldest dd). She was more of a "get into trouble if I left for a second" type of baby. I think she is finally (at 3.5) starting to outgrow it A LITTLE! LOL!
Choose2bgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 PM   #24
msmamabear
Registered Users
seller

we only do baby gates and thats only because we have stairs. i think it easier to teach children about outlets and the kitchen then "protect" them from it. It makes it a lot easier when we go to someone's house that is not child friendly too. but i do keep all cleaning products above the laundry, not under sinks.
msmamabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #25
Cheaven
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a swing gate to the laundry room. All safe cleaning products are still high up. Also a gate for the stairs. A door thing I use on the windows to keep him from closing the windows on his hand. Covers on outlets or I moved furniture infront of it.

Other then that the other gate and the latches are just to keep him from messing too much at once. I was tired of picking up bowls while he will empty another cabinet.

I let him get into everything. If it won't kill him or severly hurt him I will let him explore.
Cheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #26
andrea0324
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's Wife View Post
A lot of our baby proofing is more for my sanity than for her safety! I can only clean up the same pile of stuff so many times before I go bonkers

I blog! Stop on by! www.northernlightsmama.blogspot.com
andrea0324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #27
lunamoth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WALL STRAPS FOR THE BOOKSHELVES AND OTHER HEAVY FURNITURE is not on your list and probably should be.

We have dog gates that now double as baby gates, LOL. No dogs or babies in the kitchen or the guest room. We just bought two more gates, one for each end of the staircase.

Socks with rubberbands around the bathrooms' doorknobs; closed bathroom doors. Outlet plugs. One cabinet lock because there is nowhere else to put the cleaning stuff.

The furniture corners, etc, are a little too much for us. But we don't really have many (any?) sharp edges anyway.

The two huge things I remember from my childhood are: pulling a dresser down on myself. More than once. And sticking something in the outlet and getting shocked. DH says he also got shocked. My sister rode her rolling horsie down the basement steps, oops. Babyproofing was not such a big moneymaking industry back in the sixties.

Last edited by lunamoth; 06-18-2007 at 10:41 PM.
lunamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:22 AM   #28
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

We use some cabinet locks, some doorknob covers, and all outlets are covered. In addition to this, we have safetly locks on our windows that don't allow them to open more than...roughly 3". April 1st of '05, my ds1 fell out of a 2nd story window about 15' onto our concrete driveway. It was the worst day of my life (he's fine though! Happy & healthy 3yo) and I can't stress enough about window safety.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:15 AM   #29
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Outlet covers, cabinet/drawer latches, and a closed bathroom door are all we really do for safety. Mostly, I just watch him though. As long as I know where he is, he's okay. I would like a babygate for the kitchen now though, he's old enough to reach the counter and I'm worried he'll graba knife or something I've forgotten to push back all the way. But, so far I'm good just to remember to keep everything away from the edge.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #30
Choose2bgr8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmamabear View Post
we only do baby gates and thats only because we have stairs. i think it easier to teach children about outlets and the kitchen then "protect" them from it. It makes it a lot easier when we go to someone's house that is not child friendly too. but i do keep all cleaning products above the laundry, not under sinks.
I said that too, and then, along came Lilly who no matter how many times you told her no, she had to make sure it was still no the next day. I learned recently that it is just part of her concrete random strong willed nature to do this. There was nothing I could have done to "teach" her that really.
Choose2bgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote