Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
herbalistmama
Registered Users
Formerly: alwayssushi
seller

My Mood:
co-sleeper question...don't know where to post...

Hi all, we are considering purchasing a cosleeper ... usually baby sleeps in bed with us, but we need another option as well...

so, i'm not quite sure how the co-sleepers work, how they attach, how to measure height (is it to top of my bed mattress), what kind of mattress is in the sleeper, etc. which is best brand? opinions and help, please? thanks!!!

Advertisement

Gabi, herbalist, future traditional midwife, homeschooling Mom to Caleb Quinn , and Aivlinn Helpmeet to Jeremiah We're a natural health, home waterbirth, on-demand BFing, CDing, co-sleeping, no-vaxing, no circ-ing, baby-wearing family! EAT REAL FOOD! Support CLEAN FOOD farmers! http://radicallynatural.com
herbalistmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
lunamoth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: co-sleeper question...don't know where to post...

HI; I'm probably not going to be much help, but...
The reviews I saw on the co-sleepers were none too favorable...check epinions.com and places where they are sold like babycenterstore.com

Beds vary widely in height, which I didn't realize until we started looking into these...that's one of the main compaints about the co-cleepers.

We ended up just parking a bassinet right next to the bed. It came with our playyard, which was a gift, so free co-sleeper, YAY!

lunamoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
mandalynnne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: co-sleeper question...don't know where to post...

I have the At Arms Reach Original Co-sleeper. It has a strap with a big square plastic piece that you run under your mattress and the square sits flush with the mattress/boxspring on the other side. I hope that made sense. It's very secure and will convert to a pack and play later. However, with that said, it makes a nice diaper holder b/c that's all our $190 co-sleeper is being used for . I think DS has MAYBE slept in it for a total of 6 hours in all of his 4 weeks. The only reason it's still attached to our bed is because it gives that extra bit of room for when DS is sleeping on the outside of the bed.

WAHM behind TMD

ISO nothing! My girl is mostly pl'ed!
mandalynnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have an arms reach too. We didn't use it too much except at first, and that was mainly for naps. Our bed height worked out to be about right. It was convenient, but DD just sleeps with us or on a mattress on the floor.
I wish I had just started her out on a twin matress on the floor. It really works the best IMHO.
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
MandyS
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalynnne View Post
I have the At Arms Reach Original Co-sleeper. It has a strap with a big square plastic piece that you run under your mattress and the square sits flush with the mattress/boxspring on the other side. I hope that made sense. It's very secure and will convert to a pack and play later. However, with that said, it makes a nice diaper holder b/c that's all our $190 co-sleeper is being used for . I think DS has MAYBE slept in it for a total of 6 hours in all of his 4 weeks. The only reason it's still attached to our bed is because it gives that extra bit of room for when DS is sleeping on the outside of the bed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kht2006 View Post
We have an arms reach too. We didn't use it too much except at first, and that was mainly for naps. Our bed height worked out to be about right. It was convenient, but DD just sleeps with us or on a mattress on the floor.
I wish I had just started her out on a twin matress on the floor. It really works the best IMHO.

I have to give my . We have an Amby baby hammock. My second son had colic and basically screamed for four months. It was hellish. 9pm to 2:30 am at the minimum. BUT, once he was asleep, I could put him in the hammock, and I had 6-8 hours coming. It saved my sanity. My daughter loved it from birth, too. I've put both of them in it while I go to the bathroom, and when I've come back, they've been asleep. That never happened with the baby I had before I had a hammock. We had no problem putting my son in a regular bed when he was too big. Oh, BTW, it looks like a bassinet size, but my son slept in it till he was two, and my daughter still uses it at 19 months. It keeps the baby from having a bald spot like a crib, and it stores in a large gym sized bag. I do not buy expensive things, but this is worth more than all the colorful baby crap that walmart tries to tell us we need. The site has great info if you want to look.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
mamandeyuri
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am the cheapest of all. I still co sleep, however. I took a twin bed and put it against the wall my dh helped me attach it to our queen size bed. It is really nice. Ds sleeps in twin size bed and I don't have to get up at night.
mamandeyuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:48 PM   #7
herbalistmama
Registered Users
Formerly: alwayssushi
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyS View Post
I have to give my . We have an Amby baby hammock. My second son had colic and basically screamed for four months. It was hellish. 9pm to 2:30 am at the minimum. BUT, once he was asleep, I could put him in the hammock, and I had 6-8 hours coming. It saved my sanity. My daughter loved it from birth, too. I've put both of them in it while I go to the bathroom, and when I've come back, they've been asleep. That never happened with the baby I had before I had a hammock.
Boy, do I wish I had known about this in January! My poor DS also had AWFUL colic and only slept when I jogged around the house holding and bouncing him. It was awful, but we're thru the worst of it, thankfully!

Now he's 5 months and very big and keeping me awake all night nursing, so i'd love to have an extra "safe place" to roll him over on, away from me for a couple hours, but still "in bed," which is why I thought of a co-sleeper. Hmmm...lots to think about.
Gabi, herbalist, future traditional midwife, homeschooling Mom to Caleb Quinn , and Aivlinn Helpmeet to Jeremiah We're a natural health, home waterbirth, on-demand BFing, CDing, co-sleeping, no-vaxing, no circ-ing, baby-wearing family! EAT REAL FOOD! Support CLEAN FOOD farmers! http://radicallynatural.com
herbalistmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:54 PM   #8
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

I have one side off the crib and have it pushed against my queen bed. The question I have is - how do you keep them from going off the bed. I pretty much have to stay in the room during his nap b/c the second he's up he's trying to scoot off the edge of the bed (by going over the rail or pillows).
dancnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:06 AM   #9
mamandeyuri
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancnfool View Post
I have one side off the crib and have it pushed against my queen bed. The question I have is - how do you keep them from going off the bed. I pretty much have to stay in the room during his nap b/c the second he's up he's trying to scoot off the edge of the bed (by going over the rail or pillows).
I bought a the cheapest pack n play at wally world and use it for naps or I fold up a velour blankie and put him on the floor.
mamandeyuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 02:07 AM   #10
dancnfool
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamandeyuri View Post
I bought a the cheapest pack n play at wally world and use it for naps or I fold up a velour blankie and put him on the floor.
Thanks! The floor thing has alot of merit. He fell asleep on the floor once right and when he woke up he found something to play with instead of getting upset like he usually does in the crib/bed.
dancnfool is offline   Reply With Quote