Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:
Do you ever get tired of preparing meals that your kids don't eat?

I get SO sick of planning and preparing a meal and even getting excited about it because I "know" my kid will just love it (and I'm not talking about something they've never eaten before)...and then they barely touch it. I try so hard! It hurts my feelings and then I get mad, even though my oldest is only 5yo. I don't cook extravagantly but it's still a pain to come up with 3 balanced meals 3 time a day with snacks in between!

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH! Just needed to yell a little.

Advertisement

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:
Re: Do you ever get tired of preparing meals that your kids don't eat?

Wow, all your kids must eat well.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:55 PM   #3
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I think your kids are just at the ages they are picky... my 3 yo is there right now. But he's starting to learn that if he doesn't eat what's offered to him, he doesn't eat. I know that sounds cruel but I don't prepare a meal so that he can rummage through the cabinets to pick what he wants... that just teaches him that he can have what he wants you know?

There are some exceptions where when he makes good choices he can pick certain things to add to the meal or picks his snacks etc... but in general our meals or what's offered. Yeah I wish everyone loved it, but oh well.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
haynmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids will eat anything, but I feel for you because sometimes DH will complain about something I slaved over and head to McD's. It can shatter one's ego.

haynmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Choose2bgr8
Registered Users
seller

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
from the mom of two picky eaters to you. I feel for you!!!
Choose2bgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #6
kdwyer
Registered Users

My Mood:

I feel your pain, I hate cooking and them not eating.

My dd eats anything but my ds is picky picky, but we are working to get him to eat more. Slowly but surely it is working.
kdwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

My kids are pretty good eaters, but we are pretty basic with our meals because dh and I are picky.

The meal rule in our house is as follows.

You must eat at least one age appropriate bite of each thing prepared (unless it is something that I already know dd hates since she eats almost anything)

If she doesn't like what is served or really is not in the mood for it then she may choose a yogurt and a piece of fruit to eat. She must get up and get it herself and there are no other options, her choice of the flavor of yogurt and type of fruit, but that's it.

I figure I wouldn't want anyone forcing me to eat something I truely don't want or really am not in the mood for. Seriously don't you guys have days that spaghetti (or whatever) may have been what you planned on making but come dinner time it just doesn't sound good? I figure my kids deal with the same thing also.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

You know, sometimes I think kids just arent hungry. Its happening quite a bit that my DS is just saying "I am not hungry" and not eating. I could probably find something that he WOULD eat if I tried hard enough, but I dont want to set myself up for that
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto3girls View Post
My kids are pretty good eaters, but we are pretty basic with our meals because dh and I are picky.

The meal rule in our house is as follows.

You must eat at least one age appropriate bite of each thing prepared (unless it is something that I already know dd hates since she eats almost anything)

If she doesn't like what is served or really is not in the mood for it then she may choose a yogurt and a piece of fruit to eat. She must get up and get it herself and there are no other options, her choice of the flavor of yogurt and type of fruit, but that's it.

I figure I wouldn't want anyone forcing me to eat something I truely don't want or really am not in the mood for. Seriously don't you guys have days that spaghetti (or whatever) may have been what you planned on making but come dinner time it just doesn't sound good? I figure my kids deal with the same thing also.
It sounds like it's a great option in your house but if you saw my DS, he'd be eating only yogurt & apples all day long! I sort of giggled when I read this b/c 4-5 times today at least when he wanted something to eat he said to me "how about yogurt?" LOL
Old 06-18-2007, 11:02 PM   #10
craftymomto5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Do you ever get tired of preparing meals that your kids don't eat?

I was raised that you eat everything on your plate and you don't get up from the table until you do. If you expressed a disinterest in something you got two more helpings of it. I can vividly remember sitting at the table when I was about 7 with a cheek full of spinach. I must have been at the table for at least 3 hours. Needless to say I lost the battle but I gained a love for the vegetable. I kind of do that to my kids. I don't have the struggle with them that my dad did with me. They are told that they will get 2x's the helping if they express a dislike. I feel it's a sign of respect for my kids to sit down and eat without complaining about some part of the meal that I carefully planned out and fixed. We seldom have any problems with this and they usually end up liking that which they previously turned their noses up to. They are also given age appropriate portions. We have trays that have dividers on them (kind of like the ones kids use in the cafeteria at school.One advantage of that is they can't complain about a certain food touching something else on the plate. If my dc's decide they will not eat what's on their plate then they will wait until the following morning for something else to eat. I will put their plate in the refrigerator just in case they change their minds. I'm not worried about any of my kids developing an eating disorder or any sort. They are good healthy eaters. They are just learning to love all types of foods. Of course I would never prepare something that I know they would absolutely detest like liver, sauerkraut, or anything else that we wouldn't eat as a family. We do not eat red meat but rather chicken and fish. What kids do not like that? Then of course I fix the usual, mac and cheese, pizza, spaghetti, different casseroles, soups etc. I always serve a vegetable of some sort but they love those too.
Anyway sorry for this being long. I didn't want to give the impression that we chain our kids to the table and force them to eat. They do sit at the table and they do eat until everything is gone but at the same time they are learning about portion size and portion control so they get just enough to feel satisfied not full and they don't go away hungry!

Last edited by craftymomto5; 06-19-2007 at 10:51 AM. Reason: adding
craftymomto5 is offline   Reply With Quote