Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-19-2007, 07:16 AM   #21
KV Boo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do you ever get tired of preparing meals that your kids don't eat?

With my girls i tell them they have to eat at least 2 of the 3 things i put on there plate. My 10 y/o hates potatoes/rice so i just give her extra veggies or make her a salad. I've learned to just make simple meals and it usually all gets eaten.

Advertisement

Mommy to Tatiana 12 years old
Stacy 10 years old and Gabriella born August 3, 2006 My little baby girl!!
KV Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:36 AM   #22
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonMamma View Post
It sounds like it's a great option in your house but if you saw my DS, he'd be eating only yogurt & apples all day long! I sort of giggled when I read this b/c 4-5 times today at least when he wanted something to eat he said to me "how about yogurt?" LOL
There are days that my kids have eaten yogurt 3 times a day! Doesn't bother me though because its healthy, packed full of calcium, protein, and probiotics. We eat Stoneyfield Farms Organic.

But My kids are really really good eaters normally so straying for a day or 2 doesn't bother me since it is still healthy food. I always get the strangest looks from people at the grocery because Maia goes crazy in the produce section."Broccoli we need Broccoli, and we're out of carrots and celery, Ohh Mommy look Blueberries and raspberries, can we get them? Are they in season or are they still too expensive? Lets try the brown pears this time okay? Ohhh, look at this tiny mellon, have we had it before? Can we buy one?"

That is our typical produce department visit. Also, when she does get a treat like a Little Debbie Brownie she tells me "Now I need something healthy to eat also so the brownie doesn't make my body sick."
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #23
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will never force Jackson to eat anything. I think that's where a lot of our eating problems come from. DH came from a family where you finish your plate no matter what, so now he keeps eating even when he's full because he doesn't want to waste food, his mom does the same thing. Both of them are severely overweight.

With Jack, I fix a meal, something I know he likes, sometimes with something new or I know he dislikes. He doesn't HAVE to eat anything. But that's the meal. He can eat it or not. If not, we go nap or go play or whatever and he can eat later when he's hungry. No problem. I've also learned that the less you force things, most of the time they are better accepted by kids. Food is something I'll never force on him. I don't want people forcing me to eat food I don't like, or making me eat an entire plate of food when I'm not hungry. That's cruel, imo.

Last edited by JustAugust; 06-19-2007 at 08:12 AM.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #24
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hahaha, My kids are the same way. "I'm STARVING!"....2 bites(maybe) later "I'm full". Then 20 minutes later.....same story. Its rediculous. I don't offer snacks to anyone who doesn't eat their previous meal. I'm not a resturant. Not that it solves the problem...I believe kids are just kids. But still....it helps a little.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:22 AM   #25
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In your post you said you make 3 meals a day plus snacks? If my kids were offered food that many times, they wouldn't eat a meal at all. I have no problem with snacking, but here is why I say I don't really do snacks here... this is the summer schedule, School year is a bit different

Kids are up about 8 so between 8and 9 they eat breakfast (bowl of cereal, hot or cold, if still hungry some fruit with it or fruit juice or glass of milk)
Then...
about noon up until about 1pm somewhere in there they will get lunch, usually a sandwich, PBJ and Cut up veggies or Fruit.
Then
Dinner happens around when DH gets home, between 5 and 6pm usually and it has a meat, veggie and starch usually.

Then about 8pm they get a snack, could be a dessert like a scoop of ice cream or fruit or possibly a cookie if I had baked any.

But what I am saying is they eat every 3-4 hours, I would say its about the same as when they were itty bitty babies, they didn't need snacks between then, they don't need them now either. Unless... we are out and about and they are using more energy, at the zoo perhaps or swimming, we do a few extra fruit type snack while we are out, but lunch is usually lighter if that is what is going on.

If they eat too often, dh notices they dont' eat their dinners too! and that really gets him bubbling hot. But also, it took us a bit with the younger two to realize that the serving sizes we were giving were a little bit larger than they should have been... 1tbsp per item per year of age up to the age of 4 is a serving, afer that, the serving sizes don't get much larger.

The rule in our house is also.... You eat what you are given and if you don't eat it (usually it is someone being stubborn and saying they don't like something) you get it for the next meal, and you are waiting until the next meal to eat. We dont' have any picky eaters in our house for this reason. We do have a few texture issues that I do cater to. My second DS had a problem with Tunafish... the texture would gag him and he would vomit so I would make him a different type of sandwich than the others, but one day I was eating a tuna sandwich not long ago, with lettuce, tomatoes and pickles on it and he asked for a bite, I let him take a bite and he had no problems with it after that unless it was just tuna salad on bread, the crunchy veggies really helped.
I'm not sure if this helped at all, but I do feel for you, those days they aren't hungry you really just can't do anything and forcing them to eat teaches them that they should eat more than their bodies want them too and create the further problem of childhood and adult obesity. (we don't have a clean plate club at my house, because we did when I was a child)
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:42 AM   #26
HBuehler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't force our kids to eat anything...Many on both sides have eating disorders and forcing kids to eat a food has been linked in many studies to problems later down the road.
I ask everyone before I start dinner what they would like.I don't plan meals ahead of time because I may not want whatever is on the menu that night!
By asking everyone what they want they all get to participate in meal prep and they also get something to eat that I know they want to eat.To make it easier I give them about 3 choices on each thing...main dish options side dish veggies and fruits.Remember you dont KNOW they what they want if you don't ask...assuming what kids and men want will only lead to fustration for women.
My kiddos are not meat eaters-will do a little chicken so I know to always add some peanut butter and cheese's with the fruit on the table.They are huge veggie fans though so there is always a fight for veggies but always at least 2 varities.My kiddos also go nuts in the produce section...we raise most of ours but they can't get enough fruits and veggies..and also chocolate
My kiddos also have thier snacks on thier schedule.They are growing at a tremendous rate and metabolize food much quicker than we do so if they are hungry they are hungry and since their tummies are smaller than ours a few bites often fill them up.
I have no issues when we sit down at the table..everyone always eats what they need and almost always they pick a very balanced plate.No one leaves without eating and very seldom is food left on the plate.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #27
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:

My daughter LOOOVED the pot roast I made one evening. So the next week I was like "well she loved it last week - and she needs to eat better anyhow!" ... No dice. She wouldn't even eat off our plates. 99% of the time that 's the ONLY way I can get her to eat what we eat is to let her eat off our plate. She's not a huge meat or veggie eater, but she gets some protein from her peanut butter obsession. She also gets her grains, fruit and dairy intake everyday by way of bagels, whole wheat bread, yogurt, cheese in almost any form, milk, Just Tomatoes fruit, pineapple and applesauce. And she always has a sippy cup of water. Oh and kix and cheerios are had as snacks too (she calls kix "cookies" )

I just let her graze all day long really.
ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #28
MamaPajama79
Registered Users

My Mood:

My kids are extremely picky. For example, last night we had breaded chicken tenders with corn on the cob and cottage cheese. They ate the cottage cheese....and that's it. It's like this on a regular basis.

My advice to you would be to stop giving snacks between meals unless they actually start eating the meals. If they're filling up on "fun food" that might be part of the reason they don't feel they need to eat dinner or whatever. GL! I need some too!
MamaPajama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:19 AM   #29
MamaPajama79
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
I will never force Jackson to eat anything. I think that's where a lot of our eating problems come from. DH came from a family where you finish your plate no matter what...
That was totally my dad, and I do blame him for my poor eating habits now. It's hard to break the cycle. My philosophy with my kids is that they cannot have more of something like DO like, until they at least take a bite or two of the things they are unsure of. If that means they eat a whole side of mashed potatoes and get nothing else for dinner, that's fine by me. I'm not wasting a bunch of food. But I don't force them to finish their plates. If they go to bed hungry, it's by their own choice. I figure when they get hungry enough, they'll eat.
MamaPajama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #30
mamandeyuri
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaPajama79 View Post
That was totally my dad, and I do blame him for my poor eating habits now. It's hard to break the cycle. My philosophy with my kids is that they cannot have more of something like DO like, until they at least take a bite or two of the things they are unsure of. If that means they eat a whole side of mashed potatoes and get nothing else for dinner, that's fine by me. I'm not wasting a bunch of food. But I don't force them to finish their plates. If they go to bed hungry, it's by their own choice. I figure when they get hungry enough, they'll eat.
My son went to bed hungry- the next morning he woke up, "Mommy my tummy is talking to me!"

I told my son once that granola bar = candry bar....I put water in a Sprite bottle...I dillute juice w/water...
mamandeyuri is offline   Reply With Quote