Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
MollyJones
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help! What do I pay my new babysitter?

Okay... my DH and I have never left DS w/ anyone but our parents.

However... he goes NON-stop, I am also a nanny for two other little girls four day a week... and I have a thyroid disorder that exhausts me! (Trying to get it back under control w/ herbs now that I am mostly-done nursing)...

Anyway... bottom line is, we're in the process of hiring a girl to help me out one day a week (when I don't have my girls) for about four hours so I can run to the store or do some cleaning while she is here with Asa. We are also going to ask her to watch him two nights a month so that we can have some date nights.

Next week, she is coming for about 3-4 hours a day, four hours in a row to train and get to know my DS and our routine and our home better. I have NO IDEA what to pay her for this training! But feel like I definitely should pay her as it is still her time she is giving me.

Also... not sure what to pay her for her regular hours? She is 17, doesn't have another job for the summer, and doesn't have a ton of experience baby sitting (she is a close family friend, so I def. trust her, just don't know what to pay her! )

What do you pay your babysitters?

Advertisement

Last edited by MollyJones; 06-18-2007 at 07:38 PM.
MollyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:39 PM   #2
heidisue
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! What do I pay my new babysitter?

I would pay $20-$30/day.
heidisue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
erin_brycesmom
Registered Users
seller

I hired a babysitter once, also a family friend. She charges $9 an hour with a minimum of 3 hours.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
crystalkicks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

WOW....I say it depends on the kid!! I watch my neighbor for $2 an hour...however she is 10 and should probly be paid for what I make her do!! HA HA HA....but with diapers I would say 3-4 dollars and hour....9 an hour...its not like they pay taxes!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So much of it depends on location, I swear!

When I was a teenager (and mind you, this was in the late 90's) and babysat in CA where I lived, I was getting $8 per hour.

Here in Tennessee, I think the going rate is about $3.50 an hour. Crazy! I wouldnt watch somebodys child for $3 an hour...that wouldnt be worth my time IMO. Watching children can be hard work, and I think a babysitter should be getting at least the equivilant of minimum wage (in the state you live in).
Old 06-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
MollyJones
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If it helps, I live in Indiana. When I was younger and babysitting around here, I got anywhere from $4-8/hr.

I like the idea of paying her by the day/week. Does this seem fair to other mamas? Thanks for your help, ladies!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
Goddess_Heather
Banned
seller

My Mood:

The idea of paying her per day is grat for you not so great for her if one day you leave her with the baby 4 hours and another 6. I was a nanny here in FL not live in mind you but there daily and I got $10 an hour for 2 kids. I was there like 4 or 5 hours a day.
Goddess_Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #8
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i pay my bbsitter $10/hour to come to my house....she brings her almost 2 year old son as well. I also feed them when they are here. She is trying to make a living too so i want to make sure that I am fair and that I have someone great who doesn't feel resentful and is happy to do what she is doing while she is looking after my most precious treasure!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
MollyJones
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayrain View Post
i pay my bbsitter $10/hour to come to my house....she brings her almost 2 year old son as well. I also feed them when they are here. She is trying to make a living too so i want to make sure that I am fair and that I have someone great who doesn't feel resentful and is happy to do what she is doing while she is looking after my most precious treasure!
I am a nanny and my son goes with me and I eat at their house and this was my starting pay, also. But I also am a lot older, do it for a living, and have a great commitment to their family and have for years. So I feel this is different than what I am asking of her. I wish we could afford to pay her as well as I am paid!! But I also know that she is young and giving her $5/hr will probably make her happy.

Do you ladies think it would be appropriate to talk to her about this and ask her opinion on it?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
Deanna916
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pay my sitter 4 dollars an hour. I usually round up though to the nearest 5 dollars to make it easier. So if she watches him 4 hours and I owe her 16 dollars I usually pay 20.

Hope you have fun on your date nights! I'm jealous!